Do You Want To Quit The Booze?

Neeranam

There are now AA meetings in Isarn.

Udon Thani - Wednesdays at 4pm.

Khon Kaen - Mondays english speaking meeting, 6pm.

Thai speaking meetings - Sunday/Thursday 3pm, Tuesday 4pm.

Sakkonakhon - Thursdays.

If you want to quit the booze.

For more info contact me or www.aathailand.org

Hotline help(Thai/English) - 02-231-8300

Try 044 511509

Although the alchaholics are not anonymous here. Everyone knows them 

Being an alcoholic is far from fun, especially in the latter stages.

Once an alcoholic, it NEVER gets better, ALWAYS worse.

It ain't a joke.

What do you do if you meet an alcoholic, buy/sell him a drink or give him the number for help.

Try 044 511509

It ain't a joke.

What do you do if you meet an alcoholic, buy/sell him a drink or give him the number for help.

Your right it is no joke and one of the most succesful approaches to the illness has been AA. I wish all the members nothing but the best. I saw it do a lot for friends in the States, as long as they did the work, some of it not fun, but it will work.

I also subscribe to the "Drinkers Diary" method.

Detox for 3 months then back on the sauce. The only condition is you must make a diary entry for every drink you have, at the time you are doing it, including exploring your feelings and emotions.

It worked very well for a friend of mine. I know it doesn't work well for all, and it requires a huge amount of councelling.

I also subscribe to the "Drinkers Diary" method.

Detox for 3 months then back on the sauce. The only condition is you must make a diary entry for every drink you have, at the time you are doing it, including exploring your feelings and emotions.

It worked very well for a friend of mine. I know it doesn't work well for all, and it requires a huge amount of councelling.

I tried that, didn't work. :o

I tried many things like changing from whisky to beer, beer to wine, gin to bacardi etc.

Maybe it worked well for your friend, but then maybe he wasn't an alcoholic, just a heavy drinker, there is a BIG difference.

A heavy, or habitual drinker can have a couple of beers in the afternoon and then have cup of tea then a lot of beer at night.

One test to see if you are an alcoholic or not is to have 2 beers/whiskies etc then stop. If you can without the craving for more, chances are you aren't an alkie.

If you are an alcoholic, the only chance you have is total abstinence. Well this is true for me.

Sounds like an nightmare for an alkie to write down every drink he takes. Why not just give up??

Controlled drinking,? the people I know who try this are the one's who need to stop totally.

Detox for 3 months then back on the sauce.
How exactly does an alcoholic do that by oneself?
Your right it is no joke and one of the most succesful approaches to the illness has been AA. I wish all the members nothing but the best. I saw it do a lot for friends in the States, as long as they did the work, some of it not fun, but it will work.

Quite right Ray, it is an illness. Many people don't realize this. I can't think of any other approach that has been anywhere near the success of AA.

Here in Thailand, I have met a lot of guys who entered the monkhood for up to 8 years in one case only to get on the piss again and end up in a detox.

BTW, if you know any alkies(who doesn't in Isarn?), there is a very good govt. treatment centre for 3000 baht for a 3 week detox. Drugs as well. I can get foreigners admitted here.

That is interesting;

BTW, if you know any alkies(who doesn't in Isarn?), there is a very good govt. treatment centre for 3000 baht for a 3 week detox. Drugs as well. I can get foreigners admitted here.

Do the drugs include "Antabuse" ?

The hard part is getting them to come to terms with (admit) a drinking problem exists.

How many alcoholics never make it past the denial stage and drag their world down with them.

That is interesting;

Do the drugs include "Antabuse" ?

The hard part is getting the to come to terms with it.

How many alcoholics never make it past the denial stage and drag their world down with them.

Sorry that was misleading. I meant that for drug addiction too, there is a detox.

I agree the denial is one big problem, and I know too well how the alkie drags their family and world down with them. it is a 'family disease' for sure.

I tried antabuse years ago. It didn't work.

Alcoholics will eventually get soo sick of being off the booze and will have what AA call untreated alcoholism. They will drink on antabuse regardless of the warnings of death and sickness, really!

Edited by Neeranam

Try 044 511509

It ain't a joke.

I was an alcoholic( so I guess I still am) 12 years ago I was given a week to live. I got over that and back on the booze.I was heading downhill fast again till two years ago when my wife asked me to stop. I did. Havn't had a drop since and don't even think of it now even though I'm in a pub all day. Sorry mate but laughing about it is the only thing that keeps me off it. That and seeing what states my customers get into.

I was an alcoholic( so I guess I still am) 12 years ago I was given a week to live. I got over that and back on the booze.I was heading downhill fast again till two years ago when my wife asked me to stop. I did. Havn't had a drop since and don't even think of it now even though I'm in a pub all day. Sorry mate but laughing about it is the only thing that keeps me off it. That and seeing what states my customers get into.

Whatever works for you, man. My hat is off to you if you can quit by yourself, I certainly couldn't! I did for months at a time only to forget how bad it was and try all over again to try and get that original feeling I got when I was a teenager. Seeing the states of your customers must help, as you say. I have known a few barmen wo managed to give it up. Amazing though when working in a bar. Again, I admire your 'willpower'. Just remember it never gets better, I have known guys to stop for years and think they can have the odd snifter, to go back to worse than they ever were.

Good luck to you!