Football Trivia

beano2274

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon its being going over 50 years and I originally thought it might be Raymond Kopa of France and Real Madrid.

His age,I dunno.....say 28

BUT

Is this some loaded question with the age ? Maybe someone aged about 18 or knocking on a bit won it.

I dont think a youngster like Duncan Edwards won it so,possibly,STANLEY MATTHEWS AGED 40 ??

Yes Sir Stanley Matthews (The only footballer to be knighted whilst still playing) and he was 41. The "Wizard of Dribble" was the son of local boxer Jack Matthews (aka The Fighting Barber of Hanley) He played his last game for Stoke City just after his 50th birthday February 1965.

Either Mr,BJ or Macclad can have it.

("First up best dressed" as the saying went in our 'ouse)

How many caps did Kevin Beattie gain for England?

Assuming I'm right,I've already had a couple of questions so how about giving someone else a turn.

binnsy asks "How many caps did Kevin Beattie gain for England ?"

He got 9 caps

CORRECT! he only won 9 caps

OK Ken and Mr bj,

This lower league English team have been members of the Football League for over 80 years but have only ever won promotion once.

Who are they ?

I'd have to Google it , but with a name like your's is it Macclesfield ?.......... :)

OK Ken and Mr bj,

This lower league English team have been members of the Football League for over 80 years but have only ever won promotion once.

Who are they ?

I'd have to Google it , but with a name like your's is it Macclesfield ?.......... :D

Well,Ken lad,you are correct in the fact that Macc have only been promoted once but we've only been in the league 12 years.....lets hope its not unlucky 13 ! :)

But you are in the right league and it is a club from the North West.

and thats a definite.

So a really easy one now

Which England Cricketer joined a football team on a non contract basis in the 80's.

He joined for less than 3 months. Name of player and team please

Edited by beano2274

OK Ken and Mr bj,

Who are they ?

I'd have to Google it , but with a name like your's is it Macclesfield ?.......... :D

Well,Ken lad,you are correct in the fact that Macc have only been promoted once but we've only been in the league 12 years.....lets hope its not unlucky 13 ! :D

But you are in the right league and it is a club from the North West.

Errr....just a moment,please ! King Ken did not answer my question correctly before firing one of his own :)

Sorry,but I believe this carries an automatic 30 point deduction in the Thai Visa Predictions League :D

FYI,the answer is Rochdale (sorry,mr bj.)

Anyway beano,back to your Botham question....

He was a Somerset lad and,I think,he played non-league for Yeovil but a 3 month contact after Scunthorpe....was it Scarborough ?

This could run for a while so I'll tell all and ask an easier one.

Answer: Chester City.

Reason: The border with Wales ran through the middle of the ground and the old rule of thumb was that if the Directors sat in Wales they would have to join the Welsh league !!

( All boxes originally faced east so the sun was not in the gaffer's eyes as it went down in the west )

Simple one:

Headington ( later Oxford UTD ) were turned down permission in 1953 for something that Portsmouth ( v Newcastle ) were allowed to do in 1957. What was it ?