Football Trivia

beano2274

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby and Tina Moore together with Martin Peters and his wife appeared in an advert advertising visiting popping into the viewers local pub (second clip). My guess is that one is pre-Circa 1966.

Anecdotally

Bobby Moore and Jimmy Greaves -- minus wives -- regularly used to "pop into" the local (Slaters Arms) that was on the corner of my street in Romford for a quiet drink , or two, or ... :)

Edited by Happy Hammer

when did blanchflower do that one? think bobby moore did one for 'going down your local for a pint and a game of darts' in the mid to late 60s.

1959/60

really? bloody hel_l, i didn't think weetabix was around then.

when did blanchflower do that one? think bobby moore did one for 'going down your local for a pint and a game of darts' in the mid to late 60s.

1959/60

I was going to go for Dennis Compton, but I guess they didn't advertise Brylcream on TV.

1959/60

1932 apparently. Although Weetabix was around in Australia in 1900. Which may explain why it is that they produce such fine athletes. That, or there's no other culture to speak of in Australia. :)

1959/6

Could you cite your source please ?

How many sources do you need and why?

http://www.headington.org.uk/adverts/breakfast_cereals.htm

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Danny_Blanchflower

How many sources do you need and why?

1. One credible source is enough

2. Citing sources is usually considered to be a polite means of verifying a claim as being fact when asked.

For instance, when I originally looked through the Wikipedia link that you provide I couldn't find any reference to Danny Blanchflower and television advertising. On a second skimming of that page I still can't. Could be that I just missed it ?

As for the second link, I found that one too inaccessible and cumbersome to negotiate for verification, or not, either way.

Not that I'm doubting what you claim in asking you to provide a credible source. Neither for your original reference point. More just out of interest really.

Who was the first British footballer to star in a TV commercial? Bonus points for the product and the slogan!

Was it Danny Blanchflower?

Correct

Weetabix

'Pass the hot milk'

Mr.BJ.

I think it's "sanmiguellight" who has been acknowledged as the lucky winner of a Gold Star...

Who was the first British footballer to star in a TV commercial? Bonus points for the product and the slogan!

Was it Danny Blanchflower?

Correct

Weetabix

'Pass the hot milk'

Mr.BJ.

I think it's "sanmiguellight" who has been acknowledged as the lucky winner of a Gold Star...

Cheers ken :)

Come on sanmiguel, pull your finger out :D

Name the three players who have scored a hat-trick for three premiership teams?

Kevin Campbell, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Ferdinand and Sheringham

But that's four, so I don't no whether that incurs bonus points or disqualification ?

You get all the bonus points.

I never knew Yakubu scored a hat-trick for 3 teams.

Name the three players who have scored a hat-trick for three premiership teams?

Kevin Campbell, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Ferdinand and Sheringham

But that's four, so I don't no whether that incurs bonus points or disqualification ?

You get all the bonus points.

I never knew Yakubu scored a hat-trick for 3 teams.

Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and Everton.

So my cheeky bonus points comes in the form of a two-part question.

In what year was The Football League forced into abolishing the maximum wage and who became the first £100 per-week player thereafter ?

PS

in case I'm not around and someone has the correct answer. Then just give a link to to the information as proof of accuracy and move on to the next question. Cheers

Edited by Happy Hammer

In what year was The Football League forced into abolishing the maximum wage and who became the first £100 per-week player thereafter ?

PS

in case I'm not around and someone has the correct answer. Then just give a link to to the information as proof of accuracy and move on to the next question. Cheers

Maximum wage abolished in 1961, first £100 player was Johnny Haynes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Haynes

In a boardroom of a Yorkshire club, Matt Busby gave a tea lady £1 - why?

Edited by mr_hippo

In a boardroom of a Yorkshire club, Matt Busby gave a tea lady £1 - why?

Wait, wait, wait. I know this one. Something to do with a transfer of a player not reaching a record or something like that, so he gave the quid to the tea lady. I think, or sort of.

I'll be back in a bit. Just off googling :)

Got it. I was sort of right.

It was for Tommy Taylor. Quote from source http://www.barnsley.towntalk.co.uk/about/fame/15/

"Tommy played for Barnsley before his transfer to Manchester United for what was then a record fee £29,999 - as is generally known, Matt Busby did not want him burdened with a £30,000 tag and gave the extra pound to a tea lady "

Got it. I was sort of right.

It was for Tommy Taylor. Quote from source http://www.barnsley.towntalk.co.uk/about/fame/15/

"Tommy played for Barnsley before his transfer to Manchester United for what was then a record fee £29,999 - as is generally known, Matt Busby did not want him burdened with a £30,000 tag and gave the extra pound to a tea lady "

Correct. There was a different version of the transfer. Matt Busby allegedly said 'No player is worth £30,000'. He then wrote a cheque for £29,999/19/11 and gave the tea lady 1d!

Albert Camus certainly won a Nobel Prize, and he did play football, but not sure if he ever played internationally, nor could I guess who for, as he lived in France I think, but was African by birth (Which nation I'm not sure, I should have paid more attention during those English lessons , but they were getting a bit to absurd...! :) .)

Albert Camus certainly won a Nobel Prize, and he did play football, but not sure if he ever played internationally,

I think only at University level. Didn't he get some crippling disease or something? Dunno. I should have paid more attention also. :)

Albert Camus certainly won a Nobel Prize, and he did play football, but not sure if he ever played internationally, nor could I guess who for, as he lived in France I think, but was African by birth (Which nation I'm not sure, I should have paid more attention during those English lessons , but they were getting a bit to absurd...! :D .)

Camus was born in Mondovi, Algeria. But you know, after researching -- the widely held myth -- that he once played in goal for Algeria has finally been rectified. I've believed that to be the case for the best part of forty-years. Think that I ought to have checked that one before. In fact there seems to be two Albert Camus, the distinguished writer and existentialist and the mythical footballer. :)

But, apparently, he did play for Universite d’Algiers. Although granted. not the same thing as being an international goalkeeper.

The next question is yours by existentialist default.