Football Trivia

beano2274

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Berwick Rangers was correct Mr,H

and is it Arsenal in answer to your question ?

PS Suiging (Port Vale...............methinks. :) 0

It's not Arsenal - known at one time a Woolwich Arsenal

Port Vale and Arsenal. Whether Arsenal were originally Woolwich Arsenal isn't really relevant, as it's what they're named now and in the fact that they no longer play in Woolwich. So Arsenal have no geographical reference in their name.

Port Vale and Arsenal. Whether Arsenal were originally Woolwich Arsenal isn't really relevant, as it's what they're named now and in the fact that they no longer play in Woolwich. So Arsenal have no geographical reference in their name.

The answer is Port Vale. The question was 'Only one English league club has never been named after a geographical location - which one?', I even underlined the word 'never'.

Over to you HH

The answer is Port Vale. The question was 'Only one English league club has never been named after a geographical location - which one?', I even underlined the word 'never'.

Over to you HH

Apologies. I misread the question.

However:

When and where was the first match under floodlights played in England ?

Whilst we are waiting for HH...

"Highest League Ground above sea level" is West Broms ground (The Hawthorns).

:)

Well done mate. My machine must be up the spout because your wonderful answer didn't show !!!

( p.s.....WBA FC= We're Always Bottom Again For Christmas )

Over to you HH

Apologies. I misread the question.

However:

When and where was the first match under floodlights played in England ?

'

On 4th November 1878 Blackburn Rovers played its first floodlit game.

"The visitors were Accrington and the ground was illuminated by the Gramme light - one being situated at the east end of the Meadows and the other at the west end. Each light was attached to a scaffold that rose some 30 to 40ft from the ground. An 8hp portable engine was required to work the battery and it was said that the system provided the equivalent of some 6,000 candle power. However, it was felt necessary to paint the ball white to aid both players and spectators." :)

More here :-

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Ffloodlit.htm

I am pretty sure my answer above is correct. If it's not my apologies.

In the meantime here's a quickie to keep the quiz flowing:-

What was introduced because of an incident which happened in 1891 during a match between Stoke and Aston Villa. Trailing 1–0 and with just two minutes remaining, Stoke were awarded a penalty. Villa's goalkeeper kicked the ball out of the ground, and by the time the ball had been recovered, the 90 minutes had elapsed and the game was over ?

TC is fine with me!

Ok then -

Which English player in his career scored over 170 top flight goals however never won a single International cap?

could it be Jimmy Greenhoff?

Nope - but as a clue he actually played along side Greenhoff . . .

was it stewart pearson then?

TC is fine with me!

Ok then -

Which English player in his career scored over 170 top flight goals however never won a single International cap?

could it be Jimmy Greenhoff?

Nope - but as a clue he actually played along side Greenhoff . . .

was it stewart pearson then?

Nope - another clue he also played along side Geoff Hurst. . . and STILL couldn't get a cap!

:D

Also just to point out . . ENGLISH! :)

Edited by technocracy

Didnt Greenhoff and Hurst play for Stoke City at one time or another ?

The answer couldnt be John Ritchie could it ? :)

That'll be the man!

Big John Ritchie . . . 176 goals in 343 games for Stoke - all in the top flight of english football and never got an international call up! Quite staggering really considering the records of some of the more recent strikers for England!

He also holds(held?) a record for one of the shortest ever appearance on the pitch as a sub - in the UEFA cup match v Kaiserslautern lasting just 29 seconds a german player apparently spat at him so he chinned him and promptly got sent off before the game had even resumed (he came on when the game was stopped for a free kick).

Yeah,I remember Stoke had a great footballing team under Tony Waddington in the early 70's......Banks,Skeels,Smith ,Dodd,Conroy,Ritchie,Hurst,Eastham etc.

Anyway,back on track with a question.....

Roy Keane was sent off 12 times in his career with Manchester United and 4 times by the same referee ! Who was this ref ?

Yeah,I remember Stoke had a great footballing team under Tony Waddington in the early 70's......Banks,Skeels,Smith ,Dodd,Conroy,Ritchie,Hurst,Eastham etc.

Anyway,back on track with a question.....

Roy Keane was sent off 12 times in his career with Manchester United and 4 times by the same referee ! Who was this ref ?

It wouldn't the Rob 'Look at me I'm a c*nt' styles would it? Just a gut feeling for the obvious!! :)

Thank god that clown has retired!