Audio Forum Start-up Ideas

neverdie

Hello Audio buffs & fellow hi-fi nutters.

As this is a new forum I thought we might want to pool some ideas and organise with SOUNDMAN to get some order into the forum.

Perhaps we could organise some threads that relate to the various Audio matters, so we can go directly to that thread. For example we might want to have a thread that relates directly to Home Theatre or Music purchases, perhaps a 'Soundroom' for general audio chat, stuff like that.

Maybe we can pool a few ideas now, in here and get soundman to work :)

Whatcha reakon?

Like to take this opportunity to thankyou all for the support to get this sub-forum going. Special thanks to Crossy, Sbk, George and anyone else at Admin that was responsible for getting this moving so fast. Thanks Guys, its Soundman's shout at the next TV function. :D

I guess later on we could also have a few topics pinned with info about where you can find certain audio items & or get repairs done, contacts and that sort of thing.

Edited by neverdie

Helps if all related topics are in a single forum, don't you think neverdie?

sbk is a busy girl :D

Yes it does and yes you are. THANKYOU.

I dont know about your computer but mines organised into folders and sub folders etc, how in hel_l do we get some order in this thread, some topics can be pinned etc. Is it possible to have sub forums in the subforum? elsewise within no time at all it will be difficult to find various stuff.

cheers, bed time now, i need some beauty sleep :)

^ Not exactly Nordlys but it wasnt just to keep me happy, I don't think thai visa really gives a dam_n about the wacko neverdie.

However, I think we can work with this. I thought if we created several (maybe a dozen or so sub topics within the topic) then we could have things organised. Perhaps something like: 1. HI FI,

2. HOME THEATRE, 3. MUSIC, 4. REPAIRS & so on. Then after you clicked on that you could find all the various threads therein.

Anyway, ive never done anything like this and clearly I am not doing it, but I am sure we can make it work, that way nutters who like pure hi fi, like you and i can communicate and people that like other stuff can communicate & one can just dig around and engage where he or she chooses.

Perhaps sbk or soundman might like to tell us what can be sorted, I havent really had a go in many of the sub forums except the photography one which is really good, probably the best ive seen.

need sleep, goodnite and thanks, i hope everyone can throw their two bobs worth in and be happy with what we get.

Helps if all related topics are in a single forum, don't you think neverdie?

sbk is a busy girl :D

Yes it does and yes you are. THANKYOU.

I dont know about your computer but mines organised into folders and sub folders etc, how in hel_l do we get some order in this thread, some topics can be pinned etc. Is it possible to have sub forums in the subforum? elsewise within no time at all it will be difficult to find various stuff.

cheers, bed time now, i need some beauty sleep :)

I've read somewhere that 'obsessive compulsive organisational disorder' can lead to lower leg infections. Have you had any trouble with leg sores lately?

Edited by krading

Lets see how it goes.

I can pin some topics pointing to threads on

1. HI FI, 2. HOME THEATRE, 3. MUSIC, 4. REPAIRS

as the forum evolves, to save them getting lost in the mis-mash.

Most people do not realise what Hi Fi really means,

it is a very misused term. :)

Thankyou astral, I see you have taken some keen interest in the forum, which is great, it will be good to have someone with your experience around, we can give Tywais and the lads at the photography forum (I know thats also you) a bit of a run for their money. :D

Too right the term hi-fi is used incorrectly.

hi-fi n. pl. hi-fis Informal 1. High fidelity.2. An electronic system for reproducing high-fidelity sound from radio or recordings.

n.1.An electronic device that plays phonograph records, reproducing the original sound with a high degree of fidelity. It superseded the older phonographs, and itself is being displaced in popularity by CD players.

I like a basic system, turntable, either an intergrated amp or pre and power and two speakers. I don't need bells, lights, whistles, remotes and all that sort of thing. I have forgotten (as its not really that important to me) but Im fairly sure my old amp back home is only 35 or 45 W. The set up the system is almost as equally important as the equipment itself, which is one of the things I dislike about shopping for audio gear in Bkk, it is very hard to sample a system with some <deleted> blearing some doof doof tune in the background :) .

Edited by neverdie

we can give Tywais and the lads at the photography forum (I know thats also you) a bit of a run for their money. :)

Don't count me out on here Neverdie. Before I came to Thailand I was pretty heavily into it. While in college I worked at a high end stereo store as an electronic technician repairing all kinds of goodies. One advantage was I could buy anything at store cost. 2nd advantage, some serious parties after store hours on the weekends, one which included a Playmate of the month. :D

I also built my own pre-amp and power amps, all vacuum tube systems - that subject along can create a lot of emotion, you know IMD, resonance, harmonics, etc. :D Also built my own speaker system. Gutted a set of speaker cabinets I had, re-baffled them, fiberglass anti-resonance, custom cross over and replaced the speakers with Klipsch & JBL combination. A modified Technics turntable (arm replacement and cartridge with precision gram balance). The phono cartridge alone cost more then some complete low end stereo systems. Also, nobody touched my vinyl. :D

Without fail at one of my parties I would get comments that it was the best sounding system they ever heard.

Would anyone be interested in a sub-forum on vintage audio? This could include professional audio as well as hi-fi equipment from the 1940's-1970's, etc. as well as current production amplifiers, etc. I would imagine there are some audiophiles out there who are interested in and/or appreciate vacuum tube technology (valves for the Brits). There is a large hi-fi shop in BKK that sells McIntosh, and other tube amps so there must be some interest. I would also think that there must be some musicians/singers/recording artists out there who would like to discuss recording technology whether it be digital or analogue.

Would anyone be interested in a sub-forum on vintage audio? This could include professional audio as well as hi-fi equipment from the 1940's-1970's, etc. as well as current production amplifiers, etc. I would imagine there are some audiophiles out there who are interested in and/or appreciate vacuum tube technology (valves for the Brits). There is a large hi-fi shop in BKK that sells McIntosh, and other tube amps so there must be some interest. I would also think that there must be some musicians/singers/recording artists out there who would like to discuss recording technology whether it be digital or analogue.

It is too early to talk about new sub-forums.

You can start a thread on Vintage items.

If it looks promising it can be pinned at the top.

It should really Read "Audio, Internet, computers, communication, technology in Thailand".

Don't forget the "visual".

"Audio/Visual, Internet, computers, communication, technology in Thailand".

Thankyou squire. :) PS: I actually thought the word Audio or similar could of got a mention in the sub heading before that one. The heading presently states Internet, computers, communication, technology in Thailand.

Whilst most stuff comes under technology ....its a fairly broad thing, wouldnt you say. Thats why I thought it could say Audio, Internet, Computers and so on.

Edited by neverdie

It is too early to talk about new sub-forums.

You can start a thread on Vintage items.

If it looks promising it can be pinned at the top.

Yeah ur right astral & if there were to be any sub-forums within the sub-forum, it should be about ME becasue I'm a great guy for getting this started :):D .

My idea for PINNED threads would of been helpful stuff like hi-dealer locations or repair stuff, 2 hand dealers and so forth. Sumone needs to create a list via way of a thread and then anyone and everyone can add links etc. Maybe its already been started, I havent looked.