Need Info Korat

ray23

We will be headed to Korat from Udon for a few days next week. Wife wants to see the mall and we are going to a bowling tournament. I know about the McDonalds is there a Burger King in town, or a Mexican Resturanrt?

Where can you find farrang food shopping, looking specifically for mexican food ingredients and Walnuts for cakes and cookies and such and any other goodies I can't find in Udon.

Thanks for the help :o

Hi Ray:

Nope, no Burger King and for that matter haven't seen one anywhere in Thailand. I've heard of a couple of Mexican Restaurants, but haven't partaken as yet 'cause they only open evenings and I'm usually back home (80 KM outside of Korat) by then.

I'm not specifically sure about the walnuts but there are 3 supermarkets that offer a large variety of Farang type food items. One of the markets is in the lower floor of "The Mall". Just down the street from there is Tesco/Lotus. And down the street in the other direction is "Big C". Have fun.

Edited by Ken

Hi Ray:

Nope, no Burger King and for that matter haven't seen one anywhere in Thailand.  I've heard of a couple of Mexican Restaurants, but haven't partaken as yet 'cause they only open evenings and I'm usually back home (80 KM outside of Korat) by then.

I'm not specifically sure about the walnuts but there are 3 supermarkets that offer a large variety of Farang type food items.  One of the markets is in the lower floor of "The Mall".  Just down the street from there is Tesco/Lotus.  And down the street in the other direction is "Big C".  Have fun.

Bangkok, Chaing Mia and Pattaya have Burger Kings, I saw a A&W rootbeer place along the road between Khan Kean and Korat on my last trip. One of the guys who does a lot of riding said he stopped had himself a Papa Burger there so it must be somewhat like the states.

Lotus and Big C we have here, so I will definetly be at the mall. No mexican resturants in this area at all, there is Jose's Cantina in Nong Kia. But, that really more Carribean food, but a nice change if you get down this way.

The mall that you are talking about is the the one everyone refers to as the big mall, simply because I think I can find that one. I did a short search when i wa there the last time nice place.

Ken I want to thank you for your help.

Ray.

Korat Dec update from 'Thailand Connect' mag (article courtesy of The Korat Post),

no go go bars, but still signs of life:

"The Big Chili, formerly known as Café Del Sol and at that time the only Mexican food restaurant in Korat, is once again serving great American and Mexican food, with really, really great margaritas. Wes & Lek there are at  01-8784355 and

09-1405550 respectively to take bookings or just to say hello.

On Chakkree Road just off Friendship Highway’s downtown meander around Korat, the Big Chili has room for large groups, and friendly bar attendees."

Wow, didn't know there were any Burger Kings in Thailand and just did a search that says there are 15. Still, haven't seen one in Korat, but then again....?

"The Mall" is indeed the big mall. Interestingly, I guess, it is called "The Mall".

And from a previous post of "bahtandsold" (above), mentions a Mexican Food Restaurant, but like I said, I haven't yet tried it myself as it doesn't open till evening.

Cheers.

Korat Dec update from 'Thailand Connect' mag (article courtesy of The Korat Post),

"The Big Chili, formerly known as Café Del Sol and at that time the only Mexican food restaurant in Korat, is once again serving great American and Mexican food, with really, really great margaritas. Wes & Lek there are at  01-8784355 and

On Chakkree Road just off Friendship Highway’s downtown meander around Korat, the Big Chili has room for large groups, and friendly bar attendees."

Wow, didn't know there were any Burger Kings in Thailand and just did a search that says there are 15. Still, haven't seen one in Korat, but then again....?

"The Mall" is indeed the big mall. Interestingly, I guess, it is called "The Mall".

And from a previous post of "bahtandsold" (above), mentions a Mexican Food Restaurant, but like I said, I haven't yet tried it myself as it doesn't open till evening.

Cheers.

Thanks again

Cheers.

Thanks again

As an aside, when I was working in Bangkok about 5 years ago, Burger Kings died. Such a pity as much better than Macdonalds. Perhaps coming to life again?

Cheers.

Thanks again

As an aside, when I was working in Bangkok about 5 years ago, Burger Kings died. Such a pity as much better than Macdonalds. Perhaps coming to life again?

Yep last trip to Pattaya I had a whooper, onion rings and a chocalte shake, great.

Went to the big city today (Korat) and checked "The Mall" for those walnuts. Didn't find, but that doesn't mean don't have, I just couldn't find any. Had almonds, pistachios, cashews, some others, but no walnuts. A friend of mind suggested the super market at Klang Plaza 2 (the new one). He said lots of Farang food there. Just a thought. :o

Went to the big city today (Korat) and checked "The Mall" for those walnuts.  Didn't find, but that doesn't mean don't have, I just couldn't find any.  Had almonds, pistachios, cashews, some others, but no walnuts.  A friend of mind suggested the super market at Klang Plaza 2 (the new one).  He said lots of Farang food there.  Just a thought. :o

Almonds are good for baking as well, I'll check out the new market as well, thanks

For your information, the supermarket on the first floor of The Mall is called Home Fresh Mart. Lotus and Big C don't offer much in the way of cheese, except of course processed cheese. Home fresh mart sells a handful of proper cheeses.

And Ray, is a Whooper a whopper with chillies?

Edited by Andyfez

For your information, the supermarket on the first floor of The Mall is called Home Fresh Mart. Lotus and Big C don't offer much in the way of cheese, except of course processed cheese. Home fresh mart sells a handful of proper cheeses.

And Ray, is a Whooper a whopper with chillies?

I will definetly check out Fresh Mart, no Chilis on a Whooper but it is an interesting idea. Basically a Whooper is a large burger, broiled not fried you can order it any way you want, but as a norm it comes with dill pickles, lettuce, tomato, onions and cheese if you want. I beleive the sauce is a mixture of mustard mayonaise and ketchup. It really is very different then Mc Donalds and usually very good.

Walnuts will not normally be in the same section as roasted nuts/candy. Look in the dried foods where you find fresh cashews and such. We usually buy in US but have seen them quite often here in Bangkok in recent years.

Everyone has it covered . Big C , Klang , The mall , Tesco all have a very small farang food section . Big C no longer sells white button mushrooms ( did'nt sell well ) . I bring a " cooler " to bangkok and stock up for a few months .

Maybe off topic a bit, but the wife and I made our own pizzas the other day and it turned out very good. Got motzerella cheese from Macro in Surin. They also had a wide selection of farang foods. We stocked up with two trolley loads but most of it was for our little shop back in the village.

Maybe off topic a bit, but the wife and I made our own pizzas the other day and it turned out very good. Got motzerella cheese from Macro in Surin. They also had a wide selection of farang foods. We stocked up with two trolley loads but most of it was for our little shop back in the village.

Not really off topic, that was what it is really about finding farrang foods, we have gotten very good at making mexican food with what we have been able to find so far. The problem no real good sources in Udon usually requires a trip to Bangkok