Quakers To Conduct Gay Weddings

Mossfinn

The Friends are a wonderfully open minded group, politically active and with a strong social conscience. My best friend in Jr High school was a Friend and I attended meetings with her and her parents. Also they interested me in becoming politically active at a young age, joining demonstrations against a locally based govt site that made triggers for nuclear weapons.

I would expect no less from the Friends than this.

Unfortunately many religous groups are far less tolerant:

Gunmen attacks Gay centre in Tel aviv

(N.B. yet to be proved it was religous motivation, but that seem to be the direction the finger is being pointed)

Hey Paagal

Have you ever been to Israel and for that matter to Tel Aviv?

There is no safer nor more tolerant a place than this place

We are actually on holidays in Tel Aviv (first time) and even though this barbaric act is (as you stated not yet) proven to have its roots in a religious branch this is still an isolated attack

Whenever couples walk hand in hand, or kiss in public nobody takes offense and it is business as usual. And I mean it: nobody minds nor care

It is true that some orthodox groups denounce same sex relations (here it is legal yo get married and to adopt). But it is also true that everywhere in the world some people do not see their neighbors as equal, or normal, because they behave differently

We have never felt (as a couple) the way we feel here: integrated

As for your accusation towards these religious groups you should also know that they have condemned what happened on Saturday night (along with every single member of the government)

Tel Aviv spells freedom an dI wish I could feel the same, let"s say, in Pattaya

Well as you should know, you shouln't everything you read and certainly not citing without explaining the context

As for your accusation towards these religious groups you should also know that they have condemned what happened on Saturday night (along with every single member of the government)

Well as you should know, you shouln't everything you read and certainly not citing without explaining the context

Please don't shoot the messenger! I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I merely posted a link to a news article and paraphrased the comments of the head of an Israeli Gay movement about possible religous involvement, with a caveat. I don't know anymore than what is in the article (which also backs up the nice things you say about Tel Aviv), and nor did I claim to.

My point was, acceptance of Gay people by many religous groups is still a problem and just because one religous group is accepting, many, many others are not. As PB said above, "change takes decades"

Please don't shoot the messenger! I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I merely posted a link to a news article and paraphrased the comments of the head of an Israeli Gay movement about possible religous involvement, with a caveat. I don't know anymore than what is in the article (which also backs up the nice things you say about Tel Aviv), and nor did I claim to.

My point was, acceptance of Gay people by many religous groups is still a problem and just because one religous group is accepting, many, many others are not. As PB said above, "change takes decades"

Hey

No problems

I just get easily upset regarding Israel. As a matter of fact, reading and listening to what people have to say about this country , we had cancelled our trip. It took a phone call to the Consulate to reassure us ( I am not talking about the possible attacks Israel is facing)

Of course there are security issues which have to be dealt with but it certainly doesn't deserve the bad publicity it gets on the internet

• 10 years later...

Hey alyx:

Why do some people feel compelled to act as if they are paid mouth pieces or public relations people for government authority (ie. paid online trolls, shills snd astroturfers)? The OP's post has nothing to do with Israel. Can't we stay on topic? Thank you.

38 minutes ago, Bamby1 said:

Hey alyx:

Why do some people feel compelled to act as if they are paid mouth pieces or public relations people for government authority (ie. paid online trolls, shills snd astroturfers)? The OP's post has nothing to do with Israel. Can't we stay on topic? Thank you.

Your whiny complaint is just so 2009.

Get over it.

• Like 1