"american-style" Bratwurst?

kast

No offense to the Germans, who obviously know what an authentic bratwurst should taste like, but does anyone know where to buy an "American-style" Bratwurst in Chiang Mai? These are usually thicker and mixed with beef and pork I think. All I have found so far in Chiang Mai is the finely ground veal or pork bratwurst that is grayish in color and almost looks like processed meat with spices.

I'm looking for a meaty bratwurst to cook out on the grill and throw on a bun with some spicy mustard and top with sauerkraut. Once I find that then I only need to find a good beer to go with it...

No offense to the Germans, who obviously know what an authentic bratwurst should taste like, but does anyone know where to buy an "American-style" Bratwurst in Chiang Mai? These are usually thicker and mixed with beef and pork I think. All I have found so far in Chiang Mai is the finely ground veal or pork bratwurst that is grayish in color and almost looks like processed meat with spices.

I'm looking for a meaty bratwurst to cook out on the grill and throw on a bun with some spicy mustard and top with sauerkraut. Once I find that then I only need to find a good beer to go with it...

Spicy American Mustard??

Try hot english mustard :)

Its an interesting subject here. Probably the best salad bar in town is 'Sizzlers'. The Mrs loves the salad as do I. The problem is if you order any of the beef meals. They only offer a mustard that more closely resembles mayonaisse. If you go to the TOPS you can buy decent mustard and enjoy the main course as well as the salad. Simple solution.

Iain

I went to the Cricket sixes at Gymkhana a few months ago and 'Dukes' had a food stand there. They had some delicious Bratwurst style sausages, Polish and others, I can't remeber the styles. They we're fat, juicy, really delicious and just like a Bratwurst should be. So I assume that Dukes serve them, however I doubt they retail them, but worth asking.

A different class from the 'Ball Park Franks' served at Independance day!

regards Bojo

Why would you want an American twist on a German Classic? The original from Germany is much better.. and I am American :-)

If you've never had the opportunity to try one of the 'American style' Bratwusrts I described above and you appreciate quality sausages, you might like to give them a try. IMO they are the closest to a German original, if not better than any I've come accross in this culinary starved city let alone, the Kingdom, but then I've only been to Pattaya for one night! I'm assuming the best Bratwurst would be found there.

Regards bojo

I went to the Cricket sixes at Gymkhana a few months ago and 'Dukes' had a food stand there. They had some delicious Bratwurst style sausages, Polish and others, I can't remeber the styles. They we're fat, juicy, really delicious and just like a Bratwurst should be. So I assume that Dukes serve them, however I doubt they retail them, but worth asking.

A different class from the 'Ball Park Franks' served at Independance day!

regards Bojo

Rimping sells Johnsonville Brand and they are good but expensive.

The sausages The Duke's served up at the Cricket Sixes were a special order from our own G & M in Sankampang. G & M does not usually make fresh sausages because of problems with shelf life and handling in Thailand.

The sausages The Duke's served up at the Cricket Sixes were a special order from our own G & M in Sankampang. G & M does not usually make fresh sausages because of problems with shelf life and handling in Thailand.

That's good info. It's also about time I got the GPS out and headed up there for a pork overdose!

Regards Bojo

That's good info. It's also about time I got the GPS out and headed up there for a pork overdose!

Regards Bojo

The Johnsonville brats at Rimping are good and maybe the expensive solution is the best solution. I was hoping that a local meat company carried a product line similar to this at a more affordable price and readily available. Then again the handling issues in Thailand might not be worth the risk anyway.

So far it looks like I'm off to buy Johnsonville Bratwurts and spicy English mustard (thanks Fred2007). With an American-style bratwurst, English mustard, and German sauerkraut and beer...this would be the perfect international cookout! Too bad we can't get good beer at an affordable price either...

Why would you want an American twist on a German Classic?

Because the American style taste better, especially when grilled!

Yeah, right.

I am English but have spent quite a few years in Germany both as a serviceman and a civilian and IMHO a German bratwurst with mayonnaise and pomme frits cannot be beaten unless you chuck some currygewurtz on it as extra flavouring.

dam_n, now I am going crazy for one and I have no chance to get one for years on its home turf. :):D :D

Why would you want an American twist on a German Classic?

Because the American style taste better, especially when grilled!

Yeah, right.

I am English but have spent quite a few years in Germany both as a serviceman and a civilian and IMHO a German bratwurst with mayonnaise and pomme frits cannot be beaten unless you chuck some currygewurtz on it as extra flavouring.

dam_n, now I am going crazy for one and I have no chance to get one for years on its home turf. :D:D:D

Of course you are entitled to your "humble opinion" regardless of how flawed it is. :)

Rimping Mee Chok also used to sell the very good Frankfurters, The thinner ones, lightly smoked in real skin. Now they sell some almost tasteless sausage they call Frankfurter with some artificial skin.

Anyone knows where to buy the real ones?

Oh BTW I really love the Yorkies (frozen) Pork only and very good spiced. Perfect for grilling or bbq