Hi-fi Rack Suggestions?

goldfish

I have a question, partly out of curiosity, but mainly to keep neverdie happy with his new forum. What do you use as a rack system?

I would love to have a turntable and vinyl here but it's too much hassle to go to as I am not making Thailand my permanent home. For that reason I'm not going to the grief of finding and buying a rack. I've set up a cyrus amp and cd player on floor tiles seperated by whisky bottles filled with sand. It works, and pretty well at that. There was a noticeable improvement when the bottles were filled with sand and it's confused the occassional girl when I've told them you have to dig at the beach to get the different coloured sand. And yes, it does look tacky but it works. The bottom tile is placed on triangular isolators and there are rubber mats (cut from car dashboard mats from tesco's) between the bottles and tiles and under the amp and cd player.

Anyone have any better ideas because, although it works great and was cheap, I'm in trouble if it goes over. There gonna be a lot of sand and glass in my system

Your bottles and tiles sound like a pretty good rack system

provided there a no children or pets around.

Some epoxy glue at each end of the bottles might make it more secure.

Try the turntable on the top?

Sorry, I'm delayed onto your thread because ive been away enjoying myself. :)

You take me back to my first rack days.....& I actually built a rack which took me alot of years to part with.

Here in Thailand in your situation, I would draw up what you want then approach one of those dodgy little welding shops which are scattered around everywhere and have one built. If you use metal box or tube, you can fill that with sand and you could have it powdercoated as well. Buy 4 floor spikes to be attached to the bottom and your in business.

I made mine using all steel and the shelving was made from mdf board, you can buy little rubber or silcone stoppers to go between the shelf and the frames at tesco....blue tac also works a treat.

Wouldnt cost much at all here, cost me a few slabs of beer back home and I was so happy with the unit I must have kept it for 10 years or so. :D