Singburi

donna

I live just up from there, about 40 km from the northen border, I dont get there that much though, Its pretty standerd for a central plain large town, nothing special and mainly agricultural, so dont get your hopes up to much. There is a large hotel there called the Sinburi Palace(I think) that is supposed to be OK they should have some info of touristy things in the area

Hi Donna,

Singburi is my wife's neck of the woods but I must say that whenever I go there I can't wait to leave, except now we have a standing invite to pop-in on RC for a medicinal nip or two.

In the time I've spent there the only night time entertainment seems to involve sitting outside the local 7-11 on your Honda Wave drinking Beer Thai and shouting abuse at passing farangs. That said, there was a lovely restaurant right at the top of the main drag but it, along with the rest of the town, closes at 9pm. The hotel bars appeared to still be open but they were dimmly lit and badly patronised with lonely looking Thai ladies peering out at the one farang in town. I wanted to go in and investigate but was firmly informed by my wife that this would be an inappropriate action on my behalf if I value my wedding tackle. :o

Scouse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the info. on Sinburi. I noticed you mentioned that there is a nice restaurant there, by chance do you remember the name? Is it somewhat large? I am planning a Charity Bike Ride that will be going through there in December and we will most likely stay at the Sinburi Palace, but we will be looking for a good restaurant to take 50-60 people to. Thanks, Chris

Edited by BikeThailand

Hi Chris,

No, I'm sorry, I don't recall the name. However, it is only a mom and pop outfit and would probably seat about 40 people max. They had their daughter working as a waitress and I gave her a 30 baht tip which she tried to return to me as being too much. Bless!

Scouse.

• 1 month later...

Hire a boat and cruise around the river, you may find it of interest. I used to live in neighbouring Chainat, and enjoyed the riverside life in Singburi, the raft restaurants, etc. Also there used to be a temple full of monkeys in town, like at Lopburi but lower key. Not sure if the monkeys are still there. I far preferred Singburi to Chainat ...

Hi Chris,

No, I'm sorry, I don't recall the name. However, it is only a mom and pop outfit and would probably seat about 40 people max. They had their daughter working as a waitress and I gave her a 30 baht tip which she tried to return to me as being too much. Bless!

Scouse.

Thats the sort of Restaurant I like :D hows the food :o

Sounds great...am partial to a nice wee bit of fish with chunky deep fried "proper" chips and maybe just a smidgin of of mushy peas/gwakamoli and a fresh wedge of lemon (lime) to squeeze all over it.

Dont suppose there is any chance that they would have any salad creme,sauce tartar,fresh cracked peppercorns...and/or would one be pushing it too much for the old Tommy Sauce.(Heinz of course although Daddies acceptable as a backup)...not forgetting the malt vinegar :D

A pot of tea would accompanied by a couple of slices of white bread and butter would be absolutely spiffing........or marge at a push :o

Singburi has one of the largest and most beautiful temples in Thailand. Wat Pikun Thong is by the river and has sparkling clear fishponds and you can easily spend a very pleasant afternoon exploring and just relaxing by the river. There so much history there and the monks are friendly.

It can get a bit crowded at weekends with tourists from Bangkok and Singapore but it's so spread out there's room for everyone. A must-see, even if you think you've seen enough temples.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to live in Suphanburi and passed Singburi a few times on my way to Buriram (saraburi). Looked very boring to me. But I'm sure thay have quite a big disco, called "Dollar" or "Money" (there is the dollar symbol above the entrance).