Seen In Issan

peter991

I have just returned to reality (outback Australia) after 10 glorious days in Issan. It was wonderful to visit 'real' Thailand as compared to 'tourist' Thailand. There are many plusses and new minuses with Issan.

Briefly, I stayed at Si Chomphu (120km north west of Khon Kaen, 100km south of Udon Thani.

What makes Issan such a special place? I guess because I felt special because I was the only falang in the village. I have compiled a brief list of highlights.

* Dogs, cats, chickens, pigs, cows, buffalo and ducks - all living in harmony (mostly).

* Lots of cheap fresh produce in the local market, much of which I didn't recognise, but was told it was all tasty.

* The rice fields with the stubble all burnt off, waiting for the April rains.

* The roadside vendors waving plastic bags, tied to the end of sticks to get your attention. Lovely bags of corn fr sale for only 10 baht a bag.

* The shop-houses with their fresh food at all hours, 20 baht a serve.

* The spontaneous waves from villagers working in the fields.

* The sounds of roosters (which never sleep) celebrating their Chinese New Year.

* The lack of rip-offs by locals.

* The brightly coloured lizards / geckos which climb the walls seeking insects.

There is so much more to this magic place. I have started building a house on land donated by partner's parents and I am looking forward to retirfing here.

Sure there are minuses compared to Pattaya - but I guess I can live with them.

Peter

I have just returned to reality (outback Australia) after 10 glorious days in Issan. It was wonderful to visit 'real' Thailand as compared to 'tourist' Thailand. There are many plusses and new minuses with Issan.

Briefly, I stayed at Si Chomphu (120km north west of Khon Kaen, 100km south of Udon Thani.

What makes Issan such a special place? I guess because I felt special because I was the only falang in the village. I have compiled a brief list of highlights.

* Dogs, cats, chickens, pigs, cows, buffalo and ducks - all living in harmony (mostly).

* Lots of cheap fresh produce in the local market, much of which I didn't recognise, but was told it was all tasty.

* The roadside vendors waving plastic bags, tied to the end of sticks to get your attention. Lovely bags of corn fr sale for only 10 baht a bag.

* The sounds of roosters (which never sleep) celebrating their Chinese New Year.

There is so much more to this magic place. I have started building a house on land donated by partner's parents and I am looking forward to retirfing here.

Peter

this post made me homesick......... :o

Peter

It's called Thailand

If I "donate" the land will you build me a house too? :o

Be careful, that is what you are doing ... it is a scam.

10 days is just a taste, please try 100 days or a year and share your thoughts.

If I "donate" the land will you build me a house too? :o

Be careful, that is what you are doing ... it is a scam.

10 days is just a taste, please try 100 days or a year and share your thoughts.

SHSH!!!! don't tell anybody else

The cynics may have a point - but then again you may have found the means to make your dreams come true! Just take care and don't invest more in the early stages than you are prepared to walk away from.

Good advice but cynic is a complete mischaracterization.

Fact is if you can't own it don't pay for it or you will loose it 100% certain.

Can't argue with a fact.

The cynics may have a point - but then again you may have found the means to make your dreams come true! Just take care and don't invest more in the early stages than you are prepared to walk away from.

Good advice but cynic is a complete mischaracterization.

Fact is if you can't own it don't pay for it or you will loose it 100% certain.

Can't argue with a fact.

Larry , this post aside, I have yet to see you say/write something positive about the people of Thailand.

Please try and dig an old one out you miserable seed-sack.

:o

Larry , this post aside, I have yet to see you say/write something positive about the people of Thailand.

:D

Just trying to add some balance in this politically correct cyberspace. Most posters give the Thais a free pass and lack objectivity. Little meaningful debate is possible.

Something positive... OK, Thais are not actively agressive society like say Mexico City. I guess that is pretty positive. Thais are passive agressive society which is dangerous, but not if you avoid them.

Frankly, just about everyone I know living in Thailand has little to do with the Thais. They are just around. I have met hundreds of farangs here and they fall into two groups: 1) Those who have no Thai friends and 2) Those who don't know they have no Thai friends. I am quite content to be in group 1.

Warm weather, safe traveling, cheap, many westerners to associate with. Enough for me, enough for many apparently.

Hope that made your day. :o

Frankly, just about everyone I know living in Thailand has little to do with the Thais. They are just around. I have met hundreds of farangs here and they fall into two groups: 1) Those who have no Thai friends and 2) Those who don't know they have no Thai friends. I am quite content to be in group 1.

Warm weather, safe traveling, cheap, many westerners to associate with. Enough for me, enough for many apparently.

Hope that made your day.  :o

Sure there's plenty around similar to you Larry, I imagine you dislike those who have decent realtionships with their wives and extended families.

There's plenty also who get had over by the in-laws , but you can only have so many idiots on this green earth.

Ain't that right Laz? :D

Sure there's plenty around similar to you Larry, I imagine you dislike those who have decent realtionships with their wives and extended families.

There's plenty also who get had over by the in-laws , but you can only have so many idiots on this green earth.

Ain't that right Laz? :o

Try to be nice, respond to your request with a little objectivity, and more criticism. Just can't please some people.

Maybe a comprehension issue. Try the post office, I hear they're hiring.

Ain't that right Laz? B)

Try to be nice, respond to your request with a little objectivity, and more criticism. Just can't please some people.

Had the good fortune to live in Isaan 40years ago the friends I made then we still have now!! never lost touch and never been ripped off,we are really looking forward to settling in thailand , splitting our time between huahin and the northeast, life is what you make it, nignoy

life is what you make it

Couldn't agree more.

I've seen guys around Pattaya who just hang out with other westerners who have minimal contact with Thais - except perhaps with a trophy girlfriend.

Thailand has so much more to offer. I think it's so sad that they really don't know what they're missing.

1) Those who have no Thai friends and 2) Those who don't know they have no Thai friends. I am quite content to be in group 1.

You forgot number 3) <deleted> like you

Taste is subjective. THEY think it's tasty, most farangs think it's vile.

* The roadside vendors waving plastic bags, tied to the end of sticks to get your attention.

They do it to chase the flies away, not to get your attention.

As other pointed out, be careful whose land you build your new house on. You would not be the first to come home to you new house just to be met with "what house, who are you"?

Well said Lampard :o

I'm not here to defend anyone, but lets face it people are people no matter where you go, there are those that are good honest folk and those that are not.

Every major problem that I have had since I have been here originated with a farrang not a Thia. do I have a lot of Thia friends? no. Simply because I don't speak enough Thia, they are with rare exception friendly to me. I guess it really depends on what you involve yourself with. I got the bars and chasing skirt out of the way my first year here and yes when I was doing that scene I got had. But no one forced me to go into that that was my decesion and I did it with my eyes wide open.

I finally made an effort to find a lady that I could share a life with, not just money. Wasn't easy but it happened. Now I have a marriage, with someone who is willing to wait for the big things in life like houses and cars. My wife is my best friend here.

Just down the street from us is a Thia noodle shop, that serves my favorite foods and I eat there at least three times a week. I have never been charged one baht more then the Thia customers and I have noticed that my portions are always much more then she serves the Thias.

I lucked out a few years ago had a legal problem and was introduced by a farang to a Thia lawyer, he handled my problem very well. But the very next American he swindled out of 200,000 baht. Didn't get involved with this con artist based on what a Thia said but was following a farrangs advice.

I have an aircondtioning guy who is just great, fees are very small compared to what other farrangs pay in the area, but I made the contact through a Thia not a farrang.

I have four motorcylces, so every other week something is in the shop, if nothing else for oil changes. Before I was using a shop recommended by a farrang. Checked and now I use a little hole in the wall shop not far from the house. The work Product is just as good and 80% less.

Got involved with a builder who was an absolute thief, you guessed it referred by a farrang who as it turned out was taking a cut of the action. That has resulted in 400K tied up in a law suit I may or may not ever see a part of that money again. But it wasn't a Thia that took me there.

I looked at another place and had put down 90K the deal went sour and the Thia builder had the money back to me in days, not referred to this guy by a farrang.

Sure Thia people have gotten in to my nickers for a few baht while I was learning, but nothing compared to what the farrangs got me into.

As to houses and relationships, those of you who had devoirces in your home countries did you walk out with all the marbles I doubt it. As for myself with three dovorces it broke down to having to start my life over four times and guess what guys not one of those women were Thia.

No matter what this guy does he can not own a house here, he can protect himself to some degree, but that can be done no matter where the land comes from. I hope he learns enough before making that comittment to do so. But you know the beauty of coming here is you make it what you want and if that little adventure brings him joy more power to him.

People are just people no matter where you go, do you actually believe if you wanted to pay to much or give your money away in your home countires that people there would not take it. If you choose to be stupid and give away your money, no Thia I have met is so stupid that would not take it.

So to say that all Thia people or farrang people ar bad, is just not true.

Just some observations from a student of the Water Buffalo University, who still wonders if he will ever graduate.

So to all those newbies in life it's your dream live it your way. Just remeber nothing is free and like the rest of us you will pay tution to the University, but given time you will find your dream, may take a few adjsutments. But you can have what you want if you are willing to pay for it. Something I could never had done on my home country after a lifetime of work

Peter

Peter I hope it works for you.

May I suggest that you make sure the donated land deed (chanod) is in your wife's name and that you register a 30 year lease under your name.

When 'your' house is built, register it under your name.

As a non Thai you are not allowed to own land and any constuction on the land becomes the property of the land owner. it is build on

Good luck

Ain't that right Laz? :D

Nice reply from the Victor Meldrew of ThaiVisa!

You love it really Larry !

:o

" I have started building a house on land donated by partner's parents"

Oh dear,  here comes another one .

LOL ! You are right for sure...

Let's translate to Thai English

" I have started building a house on land donated by partner's parents"

"Those guys were so nice to me, fed me for a week, so I'm buying them a house in return - I just don't know it yet"

If the OP wants email addresses of people that have done this - I will supply.

Thanks everybody for the replies ... kind and otherwise. 22 replies and 377 views in 12 hours. I am not a newbie, having visited Thailand for a number of years ... getting less green as time goes on ... but I am aware of Rule 1: Never invest in Thailand any more than you are prepared to walk away from. I know what I am getting into. I have known my partners parents for a number of years. The whole property has been deeded to my partner (parents' house at the front, ours at the back).

Well said Lampard :o

I'm not here to defend anyone, but lets face it people are people no matter where you go, there are those that are good honest folk and those that are not.

Every major problem that I have had since I have been here originated with a farrang not a Thia. do I have a lot of Thia friends? no. Simply because I don't speak enough Thia, they are with rare exception friendly to me. I guess it really depends on what you involve yourself with. I got the bars and chasing skirt out of the way my first year here and yes when I was doing that scene I got had. But no one forced me to go into that that was my decesion and I did it with my eyes wide open.

I finally made an effort to find a lady that I could share a life with, not just money. Wasn't easy but it happened. Now I have a marriage, with someone who is willing to wait for the big things in life like houses and cars. My wife is my best friend here.

Just down the street from us is a Thia noodle shop, that serves my favorite foods and I eat there at least three times a week. I have never been charged one baht more then the Thia customers and I have noticed that my portions are always much more then she serves the Thias.

I lucked out a few years ago had a legal problem and was introduced by a farang to a Thia lawyer, he handled my problem very well. But the very next American he swindled out of 200,000 baht. Didn't get involved with this con artist based on what a Thia said but was following a farrangs advice.

I have an aircondtioning guy who is just great, fees are very small compared to what other farrangs pay in the area, but I made the contact through a Thia not a farrang.

I have four motorcylces, so every other week something is in the shop, if nothing else for oil changes. Before I was using a shop recommended by a farrang. Checked and now I use a little hole in the wall shop not far from the house. The work Product is just as good and 80% less.

Got involved with a builder who was an absolute thief, you guessed it referred by a farrang who as it turned out was taking a cut of the action. That has resulted in 400K tied up in a law suit I may or may not ever see a part of that money again. But it wasn't a Thia that took me there.

I looked at another place and had put down 90K the deal went sour and the Thia builder had the money back to me in days, not referred to this guy by a farrang.

Sure Thia people have gotten in to my nickers for a few baht while I was learning, but nothing compared to what the farrangs got me into.

As to houses and relationships, those of you who had devoirces in your home countries did you walk out with all the marbles I doubt it. As for myself with three dovorces it broke down to having to start my life over four times and guess what guys not one of those women were Thia.

No matter what this guy does he can not own a house here, he can protect himself to some degree, but that can be done no matter where the land comes from. I hope he learns enough before making that comittment to do so. But you know the beauty of coming here is you make it what you want and if that little adventure brings him joy more power to him.

People are just people no matter where you go, do you actually believe if you wanted to pay to much or give your money away in your home countires that people there would not take it. If you choose to be stupid and give away your money, no Thia I have met is so stupid that would not take it.

So to say that all Thia people or farrang people ar bad, is just not true.

Just some observations from a student of the Water Buffalo University, who still wonders if he will ever graduate.

So to all those newbies in life it's your dream live it your way. Just remeber nothing is free and like the rest of us you will pay tution to the University, but given time you will find your dream, may take a few adjsutments. But you can have what you want if you are willing to pay for it. Something I could never had done on my home country after a lifetime of work

It must be the fact that you call them Thia instead of Thai.

I'm off to find out now.... :D

I have just returned to reality (outback Australia) after 10 glorious days in Issan.

Peter;

Where my glorious, and soon to be finished guest house -just near the border in Surin (George I havn't forgotten, the workers are a bit slow) Which will be advertised here....

I find it very difficult to work out some mornings if I am in Australia or Thailand. Lots of Eucalyptus, the landscape is about the same. Love it.

I have a B-B-Q with Eucalyptus (total waste) and on a good night I can see the Southern Cross. Where am I again ?

Hi Peter,

good to hear that you had a good time in Issaan.

Coming from the Nullabor Plain it must have seemed like a forested paradise....... :o

I''ll bet the roos and emus missed you.

Keep us posted. :D

When are you going back to check on the house?

I have just returned to reality (outback Australia) after 10 glorious days in Issan.

Peter;

Where my glorious, and soon to be finished guest house -just near the border in Surin (George I havn't forgotten, the workers are a bit slow) Which will be advertised here....

I find it very difficult to work out some mornings if I am in Australia or Thailand. Lots of Eucalyptus, the landscape is about the same. Love it.

I have a B-B-Q with Eucalyptus (total waste) and on a good night I can see the Southern Cross. Where am I again ?

Oy.................you opening a pub?

Just trying to add some balance in this politically correct cyberspace. Most posters give the Thais a free pass and lack objectivity. Little meaningful debate is possible.

Something positive... OK, Thais are not actively agressive society like say Mexico City. I guess that is pretty positive. Thais are passive agressive society which is dangerous, but not if you avoid them.

Definetly need a 3rd group here. Those that have 'real' Thai friends,speak alittle Thai and share a common interest. No I don't shout the drinks, actually get more bought than I buy. Know lots of people like yourself that just don't get "it".

Definetly need a 3rd group here. Those that have 'real' Thai friends,speak alittle Thai and share a common interest. No I don't shout the drinks, actually get more bought than I buy. Know lots of people like yourself that just don't get "it".

And from the sound of things, does not make the effort to get it either. :o

Good luck to the OP, peter991.

Isaan is a magical place full of magical people.

Chok dee... :D