Whats More Damaging Spirits Or Beer?

matt888

I normally drink 2-3 times a week, and usually spirits (johnny walker mixed with soda) but recently i have been getting slight pains in my sides/lower back the day after drinking, which is concerning me a bit, i am a bit of a hypercondriac! so think i could be telling myself the pains are worse than they are, but i definately have felt slight aches in that region. So now i have decided that the whiskey is burning my liver and kidneys away, and have started drinking beer more, but i really dont enjoy beer, and also am developing a nice little beer belly. But i am telling myself i can either have a little beer belly or burn/rot my organs!!.

I know the best solution is to stop drinking altoghter, which is something i intend to do in the future, but at this stage of my life i'm not ready for that.

I have done a bit of research on google but to no avail, so i was wondering if anyone out there knows any info?

basically my question is -does one small beer of heineken (5%) do exactly the same amount of damage to the liver/kidneys as a whiskey/soda if measured at 5% alcohol content, and the same amount drunk (330ml)?

any info would be appreciated.

thanks, Matt.

I normally drink 2-3 times a week, and usually spirits (johnny walker mixed with soda) but recently i have been getting slight pains in my sides/lower back the day after drinking, which is concerning me a bit, i am a bit of a hypercondriac! so think i could be telling myself the pains are worse than they are, but i definately have felt slight aches in that region. So now i have decided that the whiskey is burning my liver and kidneys away, and have started drinking beer more, but i really dont enjoy beer, and also am developing a nice little beer belly. But i am telling myself i can either have a little beer belly or burn/rot my organs!!.

I know the best solution is to stop drinking altoghter, which is something i intend to do in the future, but at this stage of my life i'm not ready for that.

I have done a bit of research on google but to no avail, so i was wondering if anyone out there knows any info?

basically my question is -does one small beer of heineken (5%) do exactly the same amount of damage to the liver/kidneys as a whiskey/soda if measured at 5% alcohol content, and the same amount drunk (330ml)?

any info would be appreciated.

thanks, Matt.

Stop Drinking--Go to the hospital and get a liver function test and get a complete check-up. Discuss your pains and concerns with doctor. If all is well enjoy your Johnny Walker.

The alcohol in 1 beer = the alcohol in one mixed drink (not strong or doubles) = the alcohol in a glass of wine = the alcohol in a shot of spirits. The liver has to detoxify the same amount of alcohol (the amount of remaining liquid is not important).

If you are drinking too much and know that you are damaging ("burn/rot my organs") and continue to do so knowing or suspecting this, you probably are becoming a problem drinker. Dry out.

Edited by mmcsusnret

so would you all agree that a smirnof ice (5%) which is the same size bottle as a small singha (also 5%) has the same damaging effects to the liver and kindneys?, because in my opinion the smirnof ice tastes much better.

It doesn't matter whether you drink beer or spirits it is the ethanol content that counts.

The ethanol is processed in the liver.

Regarding the aches and pains; lower back pain sounds like kidney stones.

One thing to note, is that it is very easy to become dehydrated in Thailand especially when drinking alcohol so make sure you rehydrate regularly with Stronk-K sachets, you might find the pains disappear.

Edited by syd barrett

When I used to drink I remember thinking that my liver would be OK because I only drank lagers and ciders. I got a shock when a liver function test showed that it had been damaged.

When I used to drink I remember thinking that my liver would be OK because I only drank lagers and ciders. I got a shock when a liver function test showed that it had been damaged.

The myth is probably due to the fact that end-stage alcoholics usually drink only spirits in the year upto death.

This is because their tolerance is so great, to achieve the 'buzz' requires hard liquor.

Then after death, everyone talks of 'that bloke who was on 3 bottles of whiskey a day'; then someone pipes in 'you'll be alright if you stick to beer and keep off the spirits' and thus the myth continues......

Its true, beer, whine, spirits are damaging in the same ways. It is therefore that the size of the glass differs.

If you think its your liver then try "Fluimicile" (Dutch name I think) it is a medicine the help to dissolve the thick slime you sometimes get when coughing. It also as a side effect purifies the liver. Found out after an accident witch resulted in a ruptured liver and collapsed longs.

Alcohol is Alcohol.

I had to stop Drinking 15 + years ago.

I was not prepared for it either , just a fact of life.. My body could not handle it...

If I was diabetic ,and I need Insulin, I take it.

Just stop Drinking for 2 weeks... See if it helps.

If you are not Alcoholic , then this should be no problem

I have a good solution that works for me . ., i drink 1L wishkey every week . . ,

Go to the pharmacy and buy : SAMARIN ...its a hearb medicine for liver protection . . very good ! . . . for threat liver toxic . . .

Its well known for people using anabolic steriods that whant to heal the liver . .

http://www.mims.com/Page.aspx?menuid=mng&a...ors&CTRY=TH

Edited by oMega69

I have a good solution that works for me . ., i drink 1L wishkey every week . . ,

Go to the pharmacy and buy : SAMARIN ...its a hearb medicine for liver protection . . very good ! . . . for threat liver toxic . . .

Its well known for people using anabolic steriods that whant to heal the liver . .

http://www.mims.com/Page.aspx?menuid=mng&a...ors&CTRY=TH

wasn't that milk thistle ? read up on milk thistle for detox / protecting benefits.

There's more methanol found in hard liquor than in beer. Methanol's what you need to watch out for.

If you're going to drink booze, drink only good booze (and only in moderation).

Not completely true. There may be more methanol in Brandy than a beer but Vodka has trace amounts. Besides, fruit juice contains more methanol than you are likely to find in spirits that are legally distilled.

Methanol is poison but liver damage is caused by long term ethanol use.

Incidentally, treatment for methanol poisoning is an ethanol intravenous drip.

The myth is probably due to the fact that end-stage alcoholics usually drink only spirits in the year upto death.

This is because their tolerance is so great, to achieve the 'buzz' requires hard liquor.

Then after death, everyone talks of 'that bloke who was on 3 bottles of whiskey a day'; then someone pipes in 'you'll be alright if you stick to beer and keep off the spirits' and thus the myth continues......

That's the danger! But it's also what you like. I love to drink Vodka ( or other spirit ) pure. After a while it's like water, that's dangerous. I could stop myself from going to far. I enjoy it now, but on a safe basis. I like beer to, but it's no match for the spirits, + you get a beer belly. :)

Matt says he drinks2 - 3 times a week, i'd hardly say that makes him a problem drinker, unless ofcourse he's drinking a full bottle of Mekong whiskey on those nights.

I drink mostly beer (some red wine), in moderation, most nights. If i have a heavy week on the booze - going out more than usual - i tend to get a pain in the lower right abdomen, but more-or-less at the side.

From previous investigations it was thought to be IBS. (irritable bowel syndrome). However, i find when i'm troubled with it if i eat some live yoghurt every day, it quickly cures it.