Teachers License Test Schedule...

mizzi39

Hello, If anyone out there knows when the next round of TLT's could you please post here, as i will do the same. Contacted the teachers council, but they have not yet set a date for the next round. I have heard October in Khon Khen, but this has not been confirmed. Thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK ,this got buried on page 6 so I am bringing it back to the top. I am still trying to find out when the TLT is being offered again, either in Bangkok, or preferably Issan. The director of our program has been trying to keep tabs on this, via the Teachers Council, but does not see any dates scheduled as of yet. last I heard it was supposed to be offered up in Khon Khen in October, then got postponed to the last week of December- first week of January (tentatively), but nothing has been confirmed. I tried to look the other day and the site was down, which seems to happen a lot. Anyone out there know when the test is being offered again? My 2 year TL waiver will run out in April. Anyone know if the TC is giving further extensions?

Thanks in advance! :)

Yes, they are giving extensions (at least in some areas). We have teachers on at least their 2nd extension. Here it's pretty automatic. We apply and a waiver is granted.

Thanks Scott, This is good to know. At least I can pass this info. on to my boss if no test is scheduled before contract runs out!

• 1 month later...

Update:

Teachers license Test registration is in effect from January 11th until January 31st (deadline) with the actual test taking place March 26th and 27th.

I think that it is against forum rules to provide a link, so PM me if you need the link to the online application form.

regards, Mizzi

Edited by mizzi39

Update:

Teachers license Test registration is in effect from January 11th until January 31st (deadline) with the actual test taking place March 26th and 27th.

I think that it is against forum rules to provide a link, so PM me if you need the link to the online application form.

regards, Mizzi

You can post a link to a govt. website.

Would someone care to have a go at interpreting section 5.2, which is on the application form:

5. Application Terms

5.1 Each applicant can register only one-time action and will not be allowed to change any

information.

5.2 Each applicant must meet the qualification requirements according to Item 1. In

addition, he or she must graduate and was granted a degree by the Graduate Council prior to the

application deadline date. However, an applicant’s graduation shall be deemed to be in

compliance with the provisions of the graduation criteria set by the Law, Rule or Regulation of

such applicant’s institution.

This is Item 1:

1. Applicant’s Qualifications

1.1 Be at least 20 years of age

1.2 Hold a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent

1.3 Not possess any of the prohibited characteristics pursuant to section 44 (:)

of the Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act B.E. 2003

And there's no chance you'd pass the test, right? :D

Well, i think that the pass/fail ratio has already been established. A teacher I work with passed all 4 tests first time around. My director is still struggling with 2 of the tests.

Since the tests are only offered once a year (on average), the best that can be hoped for is the TC will continue to offer waivers as long as the teacher is in the process of meeting the requirement. (which for many of us could take years)! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Goodluck to everyone who is taking the TCT tests on Friday and Saturday. :) ...I mean... :D

Yes, good luck to all. I will report back.

I found it odd that there were only about 160 people throughout the Kingdom who signed up to take it. Now i am wondering if I should have signed up at all. I just received my two year waiver (2nd waiver) based on completing the culture course. Oh well, no sense crying over spilled milk. :D

I arrived home last night after two days of testing. 4 hour drive back, and needless to say totally exhausted. It was a total "brain drain". 2.5 hours to complete each test. Each test consisting of 150 questions, so one minute for each question. The tests were as follows:

First day:

Test 1: Language and technology: The first part of this test was mostly reading comprehension at maybe a 5th grade reading level. I found it straightforward and easy, but keep in mind that Thais need to take this test too and the ones who are not proficient in English will probably have difficulty with it. The technology portion was OK as long as you know your way around window office programs with an emphasis on Excel.

Now the downward spiral!!!!!!!

Test 2: Curriculum development: This portion had very little to do with developing anything. It was mostly based on theory. There was really no "direct" answer, since many of the questions had 2 possible "right" answers. and most of the answers did not correlate with the questions.

Second day:

Test 3: Education measurement and evaluation: I was totally lost during this portion of the test, and unless you are knowledgeable in statistics and the different "measuring tools" used you will be lost too. This portion had the least to do with teaching and would be more geared towards the people making the big bucks like administrators. The second part of this test "evaluation" had to do with the different ways of evaluating, creating different scenarios but again there was no cohesion when it came to question vs answers, since there could be 2 possible "right" answers depending on the circumstances, or no "right" answer for that matter.

Test 4:Child Psychology and teachership: The first portion of this test test wasn't to difficult, but I have a degree in counselling, so most of the questions were based on theory (schools of psychology) or scenario based questions, but then again trying to find the correct answer for the scenario based questions took some searching, since there was really no direct answer.

Some of the questions started like "What do you think about...." or How do you feel about....." which got a little confusing, since it was a multiple choice test, so it really does not matter what I think or feel. The second portion "teachership" (which I don't think is an actual word) had some psychology questions, but was mostly geared towards the different departments who handle teacher affairs ,which does not apply to foreign teachers since immigration is responsible for us. You also needed to know the different laws enacted such as " The teachers act of 2546 BE states that......" Ahh what??? Again useless to foreigners and Thai teachers, but maybe very useful to administrators.

The tests: It was apparent that these tests were "thrown together" in haste, since no one has ever taken the time (since 2007 I believe) to check grammar and spelling ,or to even format correctly Some of the answers went vertically while the next set of answers went horizontally.

All four tests were riddled with errors, for example you just had to accept that "leaner" meant "learner" or the "gode" was "goal" which seemed to repeat itself, but that was the least of the test takers problem given the biggest problem being the tests themselves.

OK, now the real bitch. All in all the tests had very little if anything to do with teaching whether Thai or foreign. It is obvious that the tests were created by administrators for administrators being implemented In a very inappropriate way. The Thai teachers taking the tests on the second floor were not to happy either, and according to our proctor who does not work for the TC, but is a teacher herself, many were discreetly voicing their disapproval.

Not once did any representative from the TC (I think there were around 8 on the first day) come in to introduce themselves , or to welcome the test takers, but stayed behind a glass door sitting around a conference table in an air conditioned room with a white table cloth and flower centrepiece.

Our passports were checked by the proctor before the test and that was it.. We were told on the application form to bring two 1inch pictures, a copy of passport and WP, and a copy of degree, but nothing was asked for nor collected.

The environment: The test takers at our testing site "see pictures below" were put in a k3 classroom made for, well little people or k3 students. The desk was almost in my lap and I am by no means a big guy. There was "graduation" happening that morning (no fault of the school since the graduation was planned months in advance) with hundreds of kids, and family members in the school yard. The Red shirts were beating their drums in the park across the street making it impossible to concentrate. Mind you this was all happening right outside of the classroom where we were taking our tests.

Everyone was dressed appropriately (casual). Some people wore jeans and a button down shirt. Prior to the test there was no dress code, or at least no one was informed of any dress code. upon arrival they informed us of a "dress code", but let this slide telling the test takers to tuck in their shirts. This was a little irritating to many considering our testing environment. Passing out school uniforms would have been more appropriate.

The environment was totally non conducive for any test let alone an intense TLT. The TC administrators could have found either another testing site or another area within the school to put us before administering the test. We were told (by the proctor) that there were conference rooms in other buildings on the school grounds away from all of the activity, but why they chose to keep us in the k3 classroom is a mystery. Only one test taker walked out 5 minutes into the second test leaving test and answer sheet on the table.

Sum it up: Poorly implemented, mostly irrelevant, and totally disorganized. Insulting to teachers both Thai and foreign. ADMINISTRATIVE TEST GEARED FOR ADMINISTRATORS.

Obvious Solution: As many have stated before me. Where is the training manual??? My brother in law is in process of taking a certification test to work in civil aviation and a 230 baht training manual was made available to him.

There is no way to prepare for these tests. I would think that teachers especially foreign with education credentials would have problems since the tests focus on the Thai education (again, mostly administrative) model, and even Thais are finding it very difficult or next to impossible to pass.

A possible alternative: Prepare an extensive TEFL/TOFL test for English teachers both Thai and foreign to ensure proficiency, and do the same for other disciplines such as science, maths, IT etc...

Conclusion: I would suggest that all teachers who have not subjected themselves to these tests as of now SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY, and continue getting the waivers as long as you can. Hopefully at some point the TC will realize how ineffective these tests actually are, and at the very least rethink, re evaluate, and restructure.

OK, enough said.

post-55616-1269747987_thumb.jpg

post-55616-1269748080_thumb.jpg

post-55616-1269748290_thumb.jpg

post-55616-1269749447_thumb.jpg

Edited by mizzi39

Agree with everything Mizzi wrote and he/she was being very polite. Not much for me to add.

Mizzi, did you have the question about the Thai housewife on your test? Just curious.

BTW, I took the test in BKK.

Agree with everything Mizzi wrote and he/she was being very polite. Not much for me to add.

Mizzi, did you have the question about the Thai housewife on your test? Just curious.

BTW, I took the test in BKK.

Yes, i do believe that there was a question concerning a housewife. Was it on the "teachership" portion.

BTW: How were the facilities in Bangkok? Would like to know more about others experiences. Cheers!

The classrooms were about the same as the ones in your photos, but your desks were taller. The only TCT reps I saw were the ones that came by to take photos of us in the classroom. Passports were checked only once, in my classroom, on Friday morning. Oh, we were right on the main parade route for the red shirt march.

If I remember anything else I will post it but to be honest I am trying to forget the whole absurd experience.

• 2 weeks later...
If I remember anything else I will post it but to be honest I am trying to forget the whole absurd experience.

Why did you agree to sit for the exams in the first place?(if you remember) And if you "fail" will you do it again? Perhaps my memory is also failing but this is the first I've read of the Thai teachers having to take the same set of exams. Is this a new thing for the Thai's or has it been going on the whole time?

Why did you agree to sit for the exams in the first place?(if you remember) And if you "fail" will you do it again? Perhaps my memory is also failing but this is the first I've read of the Thai teachers having to take the same set of exams. Is this a new thing for the Thai's or has it been going on the whole time?

A number of teachers at my school sat the exam/s to get another 2 year extension for their TL. They were told to do this by the school, and told that if they didn't they may not get another extension (hence not be able to get a wp/visa extension). So one teacher just sat one of the exams. One exam or 4 exams it didn't make any difference.

So one teacher just sat one of the exams. One exam or 4 exams it didn't make any difference.

Did the school pay the fee and travel/lodging expenses? And you have reminded me, to get the waiver you don't have to pass, just take the exam and some just mark the answer sheet Christmas tree or all "B" etc..

Still curious about the Thai teachers being required to take the same exams. I suppose it is those without an Education degree?

For teachers who have a degree but lack teaching certification it might make more sense to get a teaching qualification with real international recognition rather than a mickey mouse Thai qualification that is valid nowhere but here, and probably won't teach you very much.

The University of Nottingham in the UK is running International Post Graduate Certificate of Education courses (the same as UK teachers do to get certified, but with an international flavour). This looks like the only real alternative I have seen to get proper training and certification on a part-time distance learning basis. The amusing bit is that it is valid worldwide EXCEPT FOR THE UK (who the hel_l wants to teach there anyway...). My only explanation for this is that if part-time courses could be valid in the UK then nobody would bother with the full time ones!

Google to find out more. I guess I can't link from here as it's a business? A friend of mine e-mailed the course tutor to find out the cost and if I remember correctly it's about 3,000 UK pounds, which in real money is now less than 150,000 Baht since the pound is worthless these days... Not bad value for real certification and the chance to join the international schools circuit if you are any good!

For teachers who have a degree but lack teaching certification it might make more sense to get a teaching qualification with real international recognition rather than a mickey mouse Thai qualification that is valid nowhere but here, and probably won't teach you very much.

The University of Nottingham in the UK is running International Post Graduate Certificate of Education courses (the same as UK teachers do to get certified, but with an international flavour). This looks like the only real alternative I have seen to get proper training and certification on a part-time distance learning basis. The amusing bit is that it is valid worldwide EXCEPT FOR THE UK (who the hel_l wants to teach there anyway...). My only explanation for this is that if part-time courses could be valid in the UK then nobody would bother with the full time ones!

Google to find out more. I guess I can't link from here as it's a business? A friend of mine e-mailed the course tutor to find out the cost and if I remember correctly it's about 3,000 UK pounds, which in real money is now less than 150,000 Baht since the pound is worthless these days... Not bad value for real certification and the chance to join the international schools circuit if you are any good!

My understanding from that course is that it does not qualify you for QTS as there is no observed teaching component. Many (usually the top tier) international schools here require QTS or teacher registration in their home country.

Whether the TCT would accept this course I don't know. They should do as it is a one year course, which is the minimum requirement.

As for the other question, yes many of the Thai teachers in my school are also doing the TCT exams. The requirements for the teaching licence applies to them also.

However, there is a course you can do if you are Australian / Kiwi (others would pay international fees)

I did the GradDipEd though the University of New England, Australia. Most was done as a distance student, though I had to go back for 2 residential schools, and sit one exam in BKK (it's the distance version of the internal course and is equivalent to it). The teaching component was done at my current school, having my principal / head fill in the paperwork regarding my competence. I did the course over 4 years part time (1 unit per semester - 10 hrs work per week), but could be done over 2 years part time also (would require 20 hrs work per week). The main requirement is that you are teaching the curriculum area and grade levels for which you are studying. For example, I teach highschool maths and that was my curriculum specialty. The course qualifies me to teach in a NSW school (starting with provisional reqistration). This was acceptable to the TCT and that was how I got my new TL.