Teachers License Test Schedule...

mizzi39

Currently I have a BA degree and a Grad Dip in Education and have been teaching for 10 years in OZ. In regards to just the teaching qualifications would this be sufficient to get a TL? Would I need a TEFL etc? Would I still need to take the TL Culture exam?

Thanks

The Graduate Diploma in Education is an education degree equivalent. Therefore, you don't have to do the TCT Professional Knowledge Tests. You don't have to do a TEFL course. The National Education Act 1999 or the Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act 2003 don't mention the requirement of a TEFL/TESOL certificate.

You do have to take the Thai Language, Culture and Ethics Course

Thanks for the prompt reply. Good news - for me at least. So just have to get through the Language, Culture & Ethics bit.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless they have changed it, the class only takes a weekend or so and I have never heard of anyone failing it. I think it's based on attendance rather than a grade.

Most people have reported that it is a 'waste of time', however, our school set one up for teachers (I didn't go, but I had to be there to make sure the teachers did). Afterward, a number of them said it was "OK". They picked up a few things and like a number of them said, it kept them out of trouble.

The Thais who were conducting it were quite nice. They were quite relaxed. Our Admin, however, were a little upset with them for letting teachers out early for lunch and at the end of the day. Typical.

<!--quoteo(post=3660121:date=2010-06-02 09:13:33:name=DaninBangkok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaninBangkok @ 2010-06-02 09:13:33) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3660121"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find it interesting that teachers in Thai government and private schools have to pass students who score 50% or better in the class, and in the end, EVERYONE has to pass. Yet from the TCT webpage, passing on the TCT tests is 75%.

Methinks that something is a little warped with the system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

75 questions out of 150, so the rate is 50%.

Sorry but i find the post very amusing,a teacher getting a simple maths calculation wrong.No wonder there are more tests, to continue teaching in Thailand

Unless they have changed it, the class only takes a weekend or so and I have never heard of anyone failing it. I think it's based on attendance rather than a grade.

You're correct there, Scott. It's a seminar about Thai Language, Culture and Ethics. No tests there. A certificate will be issued for attendance.

Announcement from the TCT regarding testing in September

announcement1.pdf

Tomorrow, Wednesday 9th June 2010 will be the last day to sign up for the September tests.

Oh dam_n sorry i missed it. Guess I'll have to wait for the next round...... or the round after that......... or the round after that.......or.....jap.gif

Hi,

Big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post - I was told yesterday, 9th June, that I had to register THAT DAY and pay 4000 Bhat today or I might not get a new WP next year! I was in the process of doing that, along with 3 of my colleagues, when I read this thread. As a result, we only decided to sign up for one course, saving 3k Bhat each and have a much clearer idea about what to expect come September.

My colleague had a good idea: if every teacher who takes these tests is able to take a photo with their phone of their question sheet (I read that the proctors of the test are no where to be seen), we should be able to garner a pretty decent idea about the tests - after all, I seriously doubt that these tests change each time around... what do you think?

Cheers

James

Edited by Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

I think the idea of anything which would amount to breaking the law won't be discussed on this thread (or in the forum), and what you are suggesting is against the law.

Further discussion of it in the open forum will earn suspension of posting rights. Please review the forum rules carefully.

• 4 months later...

The tests results are out for the September 11 & 12, 2010 tests. You can check your scores at:

TCT Test 6 Results

Note: The above website works with Internet Explorer only (for Window's PCs).

I manually retrieved the scores for everyone who took the test at all test locations to compile some statistics. Here they are.

These are Nationwide numbers. Of the 106 people who paid to sit at least one exam, 14 didn't show for any exam. Of the 36 persons who took all four exams during this test cycle, two passed all four exams.

Test 1: 66 test takers, 60 passed, min score 57, max score 123, average score 93, mode 113, median 103.5

Test 2: 68 test takers, 9 passed, min score 27, max score 83, average score 56, mode 63, median 58.5

Test 3: 46 test takers, 9 passed, min score 36, max score 93, average score 60, mode 60, median 59.5

Test 4: 47 test takers, 20 passed, min score 42, max score 91, average score 56, mode 75. median 70

I calculated a Difficulty Index for each test. The lower the number, the more difficult the exam was to pass. The parentheticals are my interpretation of the numbers.

Test 1: .91 (Easy)

Test 2: .13 (Extremely Difficult)

Test 3: .20 (Extremely Difficult)

Test 4: .43 (Moderately Difficult)

Edited by jackbox

These are Nationwide numbers. Of the 106 people who paid to sit at least one exam, 14 didn't show for any exam. Of the 36 persons who took all four exams during this test cycle, two passed all four exams.

Curious, perhaps someone knows from memory...are the "106" paying lower/higher than "normal and the "14" no shows typical, or as it seems to me on reflection only, lower paying ? I would think there are a lot of teachers in the same boat as me, waiting on October's wages then calling it quits, on to a new school.

Curious, perhaps someone knows from memory...are the "106" paying lower/higher than "normal and the "14" no shows typical, or as it seems to me on reflection only, lower paying ? I would think there are a lot of teachers in the same boat as me, waiting on October's wages then calling it quits, on to a new school.

Everybody pays the same price to sit the exams. One thousand baht per exam plus a 30 baht bank fee for payment. The number of exams you register for is up to you. One should be sufficient for renewing the two year temporary license. As for the no shows, based on the test takeer ID you can determine the number of exams they paid for. Of the 14 who were no shows, 7 paid for 2 exam, 5 paid for two exams and two paid for four exams. The no show rate is about right. Last cycle there was at least 20 no shows for 177 paid test takers.

Changing schools isn't going to get you out of taking the exams or the licensing requirements. The two year license is a general license that you must be given when you resign and you take to your new school. When it comes time to renew the two year license this law still applies and you will be required to show what you have done towards meeting the requirements of obtaining the full license or your two year temporary application will be denied. Also, in Bangkok, the Labor Ministry is now requiring proof of working towards the license as well to renew work permits. If you already have a work permit they will want to see what you have done towards obtaining the license or may refuse to issue you a new work permit.

These are Nationwide numbers. Of the 106 people who paid to sit at least one exam, 14 didn't show for any exam.

Last cycle there was at least 20 no shows for 177 paid test takers.

So, thanks, and we know there were 177 paid test takers last cycle. This latest, 106.. The averages about the same, number of exams and no shows.

Any speculation as to why the number(106) is so much lower? It also of course means less revenue for the Teachers Council. We know it isn't due to a large percentage passing all four exams..

The two year license is a general license that you must be given when you resign and you take to your new school.

Never seen nor heard of two year licenses. Only seen and heard of two year waivers issued to specific schools granting permission to hire the teacher.

The issues about renewals are always in a circle of unknowing and inconsistancy. I know some teachers who have no questions asked. I know some schools which take the application for Work Permit extensions to the labor offices without the teacher being present.

So, thanks, and we know there were 177 paid test takers last cycle. This latest, 106.. The averages about the same, number of exams and no shows.

Any speculation as to why the number(106) is so much lower? It also of course means less revenue for the Teachers Council. We know it isn't due to a large percentage passing all four exams..

I think the number was lower because for some reason the TCT rushed this testing cycle. They announced right after posting the results for cycle 5 and the window to apply was less than two weeks. It didn't give people much notice and time to apply for the exams. Also, they gave the tests in September, not October as they normally do, and many people didn't realize the applications were being taken until after the payment deadline had passed. Basically, the TCT screwed themselves out of revenue by rushing cycle 6 and not giving adequate notice.

Never seen nor heard of two year licenses. Only seen and heard of two year waivers issued to specific schools granting permission to hire the teacher.

The issues about renewals are always in a circle of unknowing and inconsistancy. I know some teachers who have no questions asked. I know some schools which take the application for Work Permit extensions to the labor offices without the teacher being present.

They are two different avenues of being legally employed if one doesn't have the PTL yet. The first is to get a waiver from the Ministry of Education. To get the waiver the school has to explain why they need you and why the waiver is necessary. Right now these are fairly easy to get but in the future I suspect they may get more difficult to obtain. (Note: The waivers are issued by the M.O.E., not the TCT). The waiver is also the only way someone without a degree can legally teach. The second route is to get a two year temporary teaching license from the TCT (the quasi-governmental body empowered to license teachers in the Kingdom by the NEA of 2542). This is a license, not a waiver, and is valid for two years. These are only given to persons with at least a Bachelor's degree and have to certify that they will work towards becoming fully licensed. To renew the two year license for another two year period, the applicant must show that they have been working towards obtaining the license (i.e., having sat for the exam since the license being issued). Theoretically, some can get a two year license, take one test and fail it every two years, and keep renewing the two year temporary license. But, in the future they possibly may limit how many times one can renew the two year license without qualifying for the license (i.e., obtain GradEd degree, get another Bachelor's in Education, pass the nine modules of the TCT knowledge test, etc.). Interestingly, if you are currently enrolled in a GradEd program and need to renew your two year license they will not accept the fact you are enrolled in the course towards showing that you are working towards the license. They will require a person in that circumstance to sit at least one exam. I suspect that in this case that is indeed a money grab.

Also, if you have the two year temporary license most schools hold onto it and won't give it to you while you are employed there. My school won't even give me a photocopy of it, even though it is my license and I paid 500 baht for it to be issued. However, upon termination of employment the school is required by law to surrender the license to you, as it is valid at any other school for the duration of the license). On the other hand, the PTL is evidenced by an orange card issued by the TCT. Schools may not take possession of this card and it must be on the teacher's person or vicinity while they are performing teaching duties. In the case of a teacher having the PTL, the school is required to have a photocopy of it on file.

• 2 weeks later...

They are two different avenues of being legally employed if one doesn't have the PTL yet. The first is to get a waiver from the Ministry of Education. To get the waiver the school has to explain why they need you and why the waiver is necessary. Right now these are fairly easy to get but in the future I suspect they may get more difficult to obtain. (Note: The waivers are issued by the M.O.E., not the TCT).

Hi. I would like to be clear on the above. School starts on November 1st. I'm going to change schools if there is no other option. So your opinion should be a fact, if possible to be both at once...

Can a school itselt request an additional waiver from the Ministry of Education, as you indicate above, saying they need and want a particular teacher another year, and if this is granted/written, does that suffice for an extention of the teachers VISA and Work Permit? This would not involve the TCT at all nor of course the culture course or exams according to your comment quoted above. Careers and the future of the English program are involved so please take the time to be consise. Thank you in advance.

As a general rule, the waiver is good for two years, and can be granted up to 3 times for a maximum of 6 years. I don't recall where I got this information, but I do know people who are on their second waiver with no questions asked.

I believe the waiver is specific to the school and when you change schools, the process of getting the WP etc starts over, so they would have to request a waiver for you again. There is, according to other posters, a record of waivers, so the powers-that-be will know you have already been given one. Once you have the waiver, then the rest of the process is rather straightforward and you shouldn't have any problems.

Hopefully other posters with more information will be along to give you further advice. It also depends on where you are. A lot of variation in how the laws are applied from one area to another.

Hi. I would like to be clear on the above. School starts on November 1st. I'm going to change schools if there is no other option. So your opinion should be a fact, if possible to be both at once...

Can a school itselt request an additional waiver from the Ministry of Education, as you indicate above, saying they need and want a particular teacher another year, and if this is granted/written, does that suffice for an extention of the teachers VISA and Work Permit? This would not involve the TCT at all nor of course the culture course or exams according to your comment quoted above. Careers and the future of the English program are involved so please take the time to be consise. Thank you in advance.

Yes, the waivers come from the MOE, not the TCT. But depending on what Labor Ministry office you go to for your work permit, they may require that you have taken the Culture Course. I know Bangkok is requesting to see proof of the Culture Course if you have already had a work permit for at least one year. It is also up to the whim of the person that happens to be reviewing your paperwork for the work permit also. Everything is always up to the discretion of the officer approving your paperwork.

Edited by jackbox

• 11 months later...

Anyone know anything about a STUDY GUIDE for this test? I've heard there is on but it is in Thai. Seems a little ridiculous to take a test with little prior knowledge of what it's on (other than the vague topics given earlier).