More arrests!

Hi all,

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news...

There have been more arrests on the border at Cambodia over the last 3 days (Confirmed by the British Embassy in phone call today).

The Brit embassy said that its not a problem leaving the Country but a major problem getting back in.

The arrests occurred when farangs tried to re-enter the Country in Cambodia.

I am going to the Brit embassy tommorow and will keep you all informed of any further events.

:cool:

Sounds fishie, I agree with Dr. P.P. on this one. Why not get em while you have em in country. Perhaps they issued them a bad stamp on the way out so they could get em on the way back in! The ultimate! Come on Eddie make some sense! I think I am OK coming back in, because all my my prior trips were in and out of the BKK Airport, never used a Visa Agency, never would. One thing I learned going in and out of all those countries stamped on my Passport, like Bermuda, Cuba, Bahamas, Guyanna, Spain, South Korea, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, soon Vietnam and then Thailand again, never let anyone handle that passport but yourself. Keep it with you at all times. Well tomorrow morning I board the plane, hoping not to receive in coming "Stingers" on BKK approach, coming in from Saigon.

Bud

Hi Bud & Dr,

Bud you should have no problems at all coming or going if you have airport A stamps and have never used an agency, in my book you definitely have nothing to worry about.

Dr, I was told by Brit embassy that the majority of people who are being detained are peeps who are entering the Country on so called agent stamps.

I was actually at the Brit Emb today quite a lot of peeps in the same mess getting new passports but lines seemed to be moving quite rapidly.

I personally have decided to wait until after APEC and go to BKK airport and use my existing passport (with agent chop) with a one way ticket to London, 20,00bht ready in pocket for my 3 month overstay and 200,000bht in cash with my mate waiting outside just in case they decide I should be detained but dont think I will have any worries personally.

I would rather risk the airport over having to go to the Thai Immigration in BKK with a new passport.

One other thing while I was at the Brit Embassy today police raided my condo and asked for names of all muslim people in the complex!

Chok Dee everybody....

Hi Dr,

No quite right Eddie's a fine name:-)

Just trying to warn peeps about BKK happenings you never know could be farangs next.

Just one more point on the entering the Country saga, it was confirmed by the press today about foreigners being detained entering the Country, so maybe at last we do have some true stories??

Eddiee

Do you not advise anyone using Immigration at BKK with

new passports? Do you think its better to use local ones

if they agree to stamp for you.

Are they deffinately going to check your past entries

on computer even if you have recently entrered through

Bkk airport from your home country.

A friend I met travelling emailed me and said the British Embassy are very busy at the moment issuing new pp's

He said they know everybody is stuck, and getting a new one

seems to be ok.

Eddiee   Do you think Immigration will permit people to leave with no problems, but will arrest them if they re-enter ?

In no way I want to help supporting a notion that foreigners leaving Thailand with non legit stamps wont have a problem, anything can happen......

This having said, a friend of mine left Thailand September 26 through the Aranyaprathet/Poipet crossing (Cambodian border) with a bunch of other foreigners, and reentered the Kingdom straight away. He told me everybody was allowed to leave right away, but coming back to Thailand all passports were examined quite thoroughly.

Do you not advise anyone using Immigration at BKK with

new passports? Do you think its better to use local ones

if they agree to stamp for you.

Are they deffinately going to check your past entries

on computer even if you have recently entrered through

Bkk airport from your home country

Hi Noodles,

Its only my personal notion that I think it would be better to use your existing passport with the existing agent chop and leave Thailand via the airport rather than with a new passport visiting Thai Immigration.

However I have just read (Speculation) on another thread that the overstay counter (where you pay for your overstay) has been closed and thay are now directing people to Thai Immigration to make payment which means if I did leave via the airport I would no doubt miss my flight.

If the above is true then I would certainly have to re-think my plan for exit, although I still think a new passport is not the way to go...

This having said, a friend of mine left Thailand September 26 through the Aranyaprathet/Poipet crossing (Cambodian border) with a bunch of other foreigners, and reentered the Kingdom straight away. He told me everybody was allowed to leave right away, but coming back to Thailand all passports were examined quite thoroughly.

There seems to be no uniformity in this. I passed through the same border around 21st September, there were many farang before me on the way out and on the way back in. I watched carefully - no interest in passport checking on the way out or back in. One guy did catch their attention on the way out, however he wasn't dressed very well for meeting immigration officials, downright scruffy. They quickly flicked through his passport and, I heard the farang say, 'no, I went myself'. He repeated this a few times and they let him through.