Retiree Account Dipped Below 800,000. Now Forced To Leave.

Hi,

These are some pretty basic questions. I wish the search engine on Thaivisa worked better, I wouldn't have to bother you with them.

I have had a retirement non-immigrant "O-A" visa for almost 6 years, and have never left Thailand during that time. Due to health problems that are made worse by the rigors of travel, I avoid it. I had an emergency expenditure during the last 3 months which compromised my bank balance, which dipped below 800K baht. Immigration told me, "You gotta go!" BTW - The same happened last year (and was even worse, they photocopied all my bank books, and poured over the statements, then smiled at me, and renewed my visa.

Today, I'm confused, however. I know I have to start the whole process over - in some way. 1. But is it sufficient just to do a border run, or do I have to go to a Thai Embassy in a major foreign city, like Singapore?

2.Is there any qualitative difference in the visa I'd get on a border run vs. a trip to an embassy? I mean, does a border run visa just give me a visa, that locks me into a future of border runs vs. the Embassy giving me a visa that allows me to stay w/o border runs?

Also, as I never intended leaving Thailand, any time someone talked about multiple-entry visas it just didn't register. 3.Where on my passport do I look to find whether I have multiple-entry status? 4.Or do I have to get permission from Immigration before I leave? It seems. from the limited amount I found, is that a multi-entry visa is for those who make border runs every 3 mos. This I would want to avoid. Further, it seems like a single-entry visa is what I want, and I can only get this from my friendly neighborhood immigration office. 5 &6 Do you agree with that? and; Did they take this option away from me when they refused to renew my visa earlier this week?

Thought this might be of interest - it's from the immigration office, and clearly explains the need for maintaining an 800K Baht balance in your account for the 3 months between your last, and first, check-in of the year. Or does it?

Document requited for the application of non-immigrant visa extension

Section: Documents required to extend staying for senior citizens (over 50 years old)

3. A Current letter from a Bank in Thailand showing a balance of not less than 800,000 baht By showing the saving account statement for 3 month earlier

I know the law is actually written in more detailed language, though still somewhat unclear. But this is the hand out given at the immigration office. They pointed to #3 several times during my time in their delightful presence. I think, from my limited understanding of the English language, is that it is asking you to bring in a letter from your bank informing immigration of what your bank balance was 3 months earlier. Does it say, anywhere that it is a violation of immigration procedure to allow that balance to dip below 800,000 baht during the last 3 months?

But, please don't let this controversial statement side-track you. What I really need is answers for my questions at the top.

Thanks again - Buzzer

Yes, the rule means that the account cannot go under 800K during the money seasoning period.

The money seasoning period for first time extensions is two months rather than three months, so it will be easier this time.

You do need to start over.

Your options assuming your money will be properly seasoned for the new effort:

-- go to a neighboring country (Laos/Malaysia) and get a new O visa single entry

-- -- go to a neighboring country (Laos/Malaysia) and get a tourist visa, then convert it to an O at Thai immigration as part of the two step process, visa change plus extension. This route would be silly though, might as well get the O as long as you are there

-- just fly in and out, get 30 days, then convert it to an O at Thai immigration as part of the two step process, visa change plus extension (you need 21 days left on permission to stay to do the change of visa in Thailand)

Perhaps not all offices will do the change of visa in Thailand, please inform us of your office.

Singapore isn't the easiest embassy to deal with. Penang and Vientienne are recommended.

Good luck.

BTW, I think this rule is onerous for long time stayers, but that is just a whine, nothing we can do.

BTW, you have been staying on retirement EXTENSIONS, you haven't "been" on the O-A visa for many years now. No need whatsoever to go to your home country and do the O-A again.

Edited by Jingthing

Hi,

These are some pretty basic questions. I wish the search engine on Thaivisa worked better, I wouldn't have to bother you with them.

I have had a retirement non-immigrant "O-A" visa for almost 6 years, and have never left Thailand during that time. Due to health problems that are made worse by the rigors of travel, I avoid it. I had an emergency expenditure during the last 3 months which compromised my bank balance, which dipped below 800K baht. Immigration told me, "You gotta go!" BTW - The same happened last year (and was even worse, they photocopied all my bank books, and poured over the statements, then smiled at me, and renewed my visa.

Thanks again - Buzzer

Buzzer

Possible option here? Do you have an income from retirement funds in your home country? If so, might be possible for you to use the "income plus baht in the bank" option, which has to total up to baht 800,000.

The rule is baht 800,000 in the bank, OR a monthly income of baht 65,000, OR a combination of both.

If, for example, you have baht 400,000 in the bank and can show a monthly income of baht 32,500 via an affidavit from your embassy, that should work.

Mac

Technically ANY income of ANY amount will do. For example 2K baht per month as long as you show up with enough in your bank account to go over 800K at the date of application. If you can get an embassy letter for even a small amount, TECHNICALLY, the money seasoning requirement does not exist. However, we don't know how officers will respond to a very small income in an embassy letter as nobody has reported. If you have any small income, for example interest/dividends, this may be worth a try for sure. Let us know!

Edited by Jingthing

Do you have any kind of pension income that your Embassy could write a letter confirming? That would removed the 3 month requirement and you would not have to leave. All you need is the total to be 800k for the year. If you mean you can no longer meet the requirements for extension of stay you would have to use visa entry and in the local area that would likely only be single entry non immigrant O for a 90 day stay or tourist visas for 60 day stays. Border crossing is only 15 days now. The closest place to be sure of getting a multi entry non immigrant O visa valid for a year of 90 day visits would probably be Perth.

If you haver the runds but just not seasoned long enough; before your current permitted to stay expires you need to leave and obtain a new visa to start again. I would get a single entry non immigrant O visa from a Thai Consulate in a nearby country. That will give you a 90 day entry and during the last 30 days you would make your normal yearly extension of stay. You will not have an extension to return to so you will not need a re-entry permit. Your visa ended six years ago so you do not have a multl entry visa.

The income does not have to be pension income. It can be any type of legit income. Any. Pattaya immigration has not been requiring money seasoning for subsequent extensions for some years now (800K method) but they changed their policy a few days ago. Now they require 3 months. As stated with an embassy letter using the combo method, there is no seasoning requirement.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't see what nationality you are. If American, you only have to attest to a fixed amount of monthly income and sign an affadavit at the embassy swearing to that effect. They will provide the paperwork.

You dont need the hassels of verification, writing banks, employers etc. I am not suggesting you falsify papers, only that the process is very easy in this case.

Edited by oldgeezer

Yes, but not a good idea to make up income as immigration can always ask for their own documentation if they so wish. I assume the OP doesn't have a proper pension or he wouldn't have been going the 800K banked route for six years. However, like I said, technically ANY type of legit income can be used for an embassy letter.

Edited by Jingthing

These situations scare me. What happens to retirees when they get really old and perhaps don't have quite enough money in thier account and they cannot travel any more due to health reasons. Or they are bed ridden? Is immigration going to refuse to renew thier retirement visas? If so, then what happens??

I remember a long time age when the UK pound was devalued and went from 60 to 36 baht to the pound. If this happened again many UK retirees would not be able to meet the immigration requirements. The same also applies to other currencies.

I think maybe one could appeal to the immigration head office in Bangkok citing compassionate grounds in the former case.

Any one any ideas?

These situations scare me.

They should! There is no long security in the retirement extension system here. It is one year at a time, unlike more civilized schemes like Malaysia. We who decide to do this anyway like Thailand and are taking our chances like adults, but there is always a risk.

Hi,

Thanks again - Buzzer

Buzzer

Possible option here? Do you have an income from retirement funds in your home country? If so, might be possible for you to use the "income plus baht in the bank" option, which has to total up to baht 800,000.

The rule is baht 800,000 in the bank, OR a monthly income of baht 65,000, OR a combination of both.

If, for example, you have baht 400,000 in the bank and can show a monthly income of baht 32,500 via an affidavit from your embassy, that should work.

Mac

Does the Embassy affidavit have to be current for each declaration? In other words do you need a new Embassy letter every year you apply for a visa extension?

I suspect the problem arose because the OP is self-insured, has no health insurance, and did not maintain sufficient funds in Thailand for immigration plus healthcare. The OP stated that the previous year the same thing happened, so he was in fact warned. For those of us retirees who cannot get health insurance, for whatever reason, it is imperative that we keep adequate funds available to cover healthcare plus keep immigration happy. How much would depend on the level of hospital care you expect.

There is nothing in Immigration regulations about healthcare. He seems to have been below the widow two years; having been provided last year he did not meet requirements again and this time was not given an exception.

As for Embassy letters of income several offices are saying they can be used for 3 years now so I would try to provide copy if doing now and see if they will return original for next year.

Buzzer, next time do some hunting around in your area as there are still a few people/lawyers etc who will lend you the shortfall for 3 months until the visa is obtained, then you pay it back with interest.

Too late now though????

Buzzer, next time do some hunting around in your area as there are still a few people/lawyers etc who will lend you the shortfall for 3 months until the visa is obtained, then you pay it back with interest.

Too late now though????

This is one of the reasons they introduced the 3 month seasoning rule.

People ducking the system.

Note: The OP was not shopping for moralistic lectures, he was looking for visa advise.

BTW, Pattaya enforcement until now has not required any money seasoning for subsequent extensions as a matter of public policy. During this time, they said as much publicly to the local press. I don't know if the OP is in Pattaya, but that would explain his current situation.

Unexpected expenses can happen at any time. For those using the 800K method it is really in practicality the 1 million baht method (more or less) if you are using the account to spend and live on (as you must top up so early). Glitches with emergency expenses OF ANY KIND including mechanical problems with money transfers causing delays can and do happen. I do feel the money seasoning requirement is over the top but of course we have to deal with the rules as they are enforced.

If someone has been here six years, it would take TEN SECONDS to determine whether that applicant was draining his account the moment he got a new extension or not. I truly think this money seasoning rule punishes everyone for the sake of a few who are doing the thing they are trying to stop. If they are trying to deter loans, it doesn't! Just get a loan for a three month term instead of a few days, what's the difference except some extra juice?

Retired foreigners don't become a burden on Thailand. There is no safety net entitlement here for impoverished foreigners. Those who go bust will be leaving the country (or this world) before long, visa system or no visa system.

It really really annoys me to hear foreigners defend irrational policies of Thai immigration that are basically designed to throw the baby out with the bath water. If we are not advocates for our own interests, who will be? Thai immigration has enough staff ...

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, Pattaya enforcement until now has not required any money seasoning for subsequent extensions as a matter of public policy. During this time, they said as much publicly to the local press. I don't know if the OP is in Pattaya, but that would explain his current situation.

The situation arose because the OP had unexpected medical expenses and his bank balance dropped below the 800k threshold during the seasoning period. The immigration regulations are what they are. The OP was generously given an exception last year under similar circumstances, he was not so lucky this year. Why beat up on immigration.

I suspect the problem arose because the OP is self-insured, has no health insurance, and did not maintain sufficient funds in Thailand for immigration plus healthcare. The OP stated that the previous year the same thing happened, so he was in fact warned. For those of us retirees who cannot get health insurance, for whatever reason, it is imperative that we keep adequate funds available to cover healthcare plus keep immigration happy. How much would depend on the level of hospital care you expect.

:) What you say is valid, but I feel not as straight forward as it may at first seem. We cannot always react favourably to avoid future problems. I strongly suspect that if the author had surplus funds or ability to save up from last year that he mostly certainly would have (who,unless reckless, wouldn't do so)

Your last comment is reasonable but even then it is impossible to foresee all possibilities unless one has a known problem and that ALL future health problems will be related.

How many people foresaw A(H1N1) or can foresee if they will be the very few unfortunate ones needing hospitalization. I could site many others but will offer that as we get older there is a whole range of new Health problem possibilities (out of the blue heart problems, strokes, senile dementia, cancers being obvious expensive key ones.

I got insurance for my wife and stepson but due to my weight am uninsurable (well I suppose someone may insure me for a fortune and after eliminating all previous issues).

Then there is the "rock and a hard" place scenario". If one is not well off, then I suspect expensive insurance would not be easy to finance and ANYWAY previous (especially recent years' conditions) will not covered.

I wonder how many here with Health Insurance Plans have NO "uncovered conditions" (assuming 100% honesty on the application forms)?.

Not many I suspect. After all Insurance firms are VERY quick and liberal with their exclusions on their expensive health insurance plans.

(e.g. I had a hiatus Hernia from birth operated on at 35. Almost no company would insure me for possible future OTHER totally unrelated different Hernias in other parts of my body.

How many of us can get Health insurance even if fully fit (and with renewals) after age 65 maybe 70 when you will mostly likely need it.

Now lets pretend we all had perfect Health and good medical insurance. What would I do if wife or children became very ill and their Heath insurance (if any) was inadequate. One would do anything and quickly dip into the Visa savings fund of course if other fund exhausted. Emergencies can be many things unrelated to ones OWN health and if one is not well off one may well have severe financial problems if they occur.

This author is not seeking excuses or sympathy but best suggestions and options that may be available but unknown to him. I wish him luck. "But for the grace of god go many of us". All through our lives we make different sometimes difficult decisions, not knowing if they will be adequate or the best or if all eventualities have been covered - That's Life for better or worse.

Regards

Dave

Edited by gdhm

Indeed, sheit happens, and of course Thai health insurance isn't like national health, they exclude pre-existing conditions and you may not even get any insurance at all for anything if you have conditions based on reports I have read here. Did the OP mention this was health related? I didn't see that. It doesn't really matter what the expense was anyway, if you dip below temporarily, you dip below. Its a very silly and unrealistic rule but we are stuck with it.

Hi,

Today, I'm confused, however. I know I have to start the whole process over - in some way. 1. But is it sufficient just to do a border run, or do I have to go to a Thai Embassy in a major foreign city, like Singapore?

2.Is there any qualitative difference in the visa I'd get on a border run vs. a trip to an embassy? I mean, does a border run visa just give me a visa, that locks me into a future of border runs vs. the Embassy giving me a visa that allows me to stay w/o border runs?

Also, as I never intended leaving Thailand, any time someone talked about multiple-entry visas it just didn't register. 3.Where on my passport do I look to find whether I have multiple-entry status? 4.Or do I have to get permission from Immigration before I leave? It seems. from the limited amount I found, is that a multi-entry visa is for those who make border runs every 3 mos. This I would want to avoid. Further, it seems like a single-entry visa is what I want, and I can only get this from my friendly neighborhood immigration office. 5 &6 Do you agree with that? and; Did they take this option away from me when they refused to renew my visa earlier this week?

Thought this might be of interest - it's from the immigration office, and clearly explains the need for maintaining an 800K Baht balance in your account for the 3 months between your last, and first, check-in of the year. Or does it?

Section: Documents required to extend staying for senior citizens (over 50 years old)

3. A Current letter from a Bank in Thailand showing a balance of not less than 800,000 baht By showing the saving account statement for 3 month earlier

I know the law is actually written in more detailed language, though still somewhat unclear. But this is the hand out given at the immigration office. They pointed to #3 several times during my time in their delightful presence. I think, from my limited understanding of the English language, is that it is asking you to bring in a letter from your bank informing immigration of what your bank balance was 3 months earlier. Does it say, anywhere that it is a violation of immigration procedure to allow that balance to dip below 800,000 baht during the last 3 months?

But, please don't let this controversial statement side-track you. What I really need is answers for my questions at the top.

Thanks again - Buzzer

Are you recieving SSDI/SSA (USA) or any other form of income from outside Thailand?

If so it reduces the amount you must maintain in the bank equal to the amount in income you recieve.

Simple and easy calculation only you will need a Notorized Income statement from your Embassy which are easy to obtain in BKK or C/M.

The Thai Ministry Dept has a good website that explains this.

Just a bit of advise, make sure you have all the documents that are asked from them before you go to renew your Visa. If you have a doctors letter stating you should avoid travel take a copy of it in case you need it. Also keep with you proof of the income that you have claimed at the Embassy just in case you are asked to show evidence more than the financial statement.

Stick with your retirement extension visa.

PS I am in the same boat to as my doctors have told me to not fly anylonger due to health concerns.

Hi,

Thanks again - Buzzer

800,000 OR! $1800 per month income. A letter from your countries embassy can be obtained for this for about 1900 baht.

They don't check. - You just fill in the amount. This is fairly common knowledge about the Thai retirement visa - don't you know this?

You will change the immigrant status of your retirement visa if you go on a border run. I saw someone do this and it was a huge ordeal at immigration to get it changed back.

Border runs are only good for 15 days - you can't do this anymore. If you go that route you have to get a double (DOUBLE) tourist entry visa from a foreign country city. That gives you a total of 5 months in Thailand but you burn out each city after you go there. You can now go to some cities in Cambodia but I don't know which ones . The Other four I know are Vietiane Loas. Penang, Kota Baru. and Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. This costs a fortune and several days out there traveling.

:) What you say is valid, but I feel not as straight forward as it may at first seem. We cannot always react favourably to avoid future problems. I strongly suspect that if the author had surplus funds or ability to save up from last year that he mostly certainly would have (who,unless reckless, wouldn't do so)

Your last comment is reasonable but even then it is impossible to foresee all possibilities unless one has a known problem and that ALL future health problems will be related.

How many people foresaw A(H1N1) or can foresee if they will be the very few unfortunate ones needing hospitalization. I could site many others but will offer that as we get older there is a whole range of new Health problem possibilities (out of the blue heart problems, strokes, senile dementia, cancers being obvious expensive key ones.

I got insurance for my wife and stepson but due to my weight am uninsurable (well I suppose someone may insure me for a fortune and after eliminating all previous issues).

Then there is the "rock and a hard" place scenario". If one is not well off, then I suspect expensive insurance would not be easy to finance and ANYWAY previous (especially recent years' conditions) will not covered.

I wonder how many here with Health Insurance Plans have NO "uncovered conditions" (assuming 100% honesty on the application forms)?.

Not many I suspect. After all Insurance firms are VERY quick and liberal with their exclusions on their expensive health insurance plans.

(e.g. I had a hiatus Hernia from birth operated on at 35. Almost no company would insure me for possible future OTHER totally unrelated different Hernias in other parts of my body.

How many of us can get Health insurance even if fully fit (and with renewals) after age 65 maybe 70 when you will mostly likely need it.

Now lets pretend we all had perfect Health and good medical insurance. What would I do if wife or children became very ill and their Heath insurance (if any) was inadequate. One would do anything and quickly dip into the Visa savings fund of course if other fund exhausted. Emergencies can be many things unrelated to ones OWN health and if one is not well off one may well have severe financial problems if they occur.

This author is not seeking excuses or sympathy but best suggestions and options that may be available but unknown to him. I wish him luck. "But for the grace of god go many of us". All through our lives we make different sometimes difficult decisions, not knowing if they will be adequate or the best or if all eventualities have been covered - That's Life for better or worse.

Regards

Dave

I fully empathise and, from a cerebral stroke in June 2004 (300,000 bath hospital bills and paralysed left side body for 3 months) followed by a 2nd collapse with seizure in Oct 2008, I can attest to the stress this causes.

In 2004, I recovered enough to teach IT in China and blamed my reduced mobility on a car "bump". A decent 6 figure baht monthly income on contract in Shanghai helped tremendously to 'financially recover'.

Last Oct, I was treated in 5 Thai hospitals (excellent but more 100's of thousands outta the bank), medivacced to UK and returned here after recovery in Feb 2009.

Oh, I was 45 y.old when I had my 1st stroke in 2005....... Thai wife and 1 year old baby girl at the time....now we have a second child, a 2.5 y.old son.

My point - to reinforce the key requirement and priority of self-care, coz our health can be like LOS,wonderful then cr*p without apparent reason.

Get medical cover or sufficient funds for your existence, plus extra. Not easy,for sure..... but as 'Guests' here, there is no other smart or legal choice.

Good Luck to the OP and stay safe y'All.

rgdz,

Brewsta

Edited by Brewsta

The income does not have to be pension income. It can be any type of legit income. Any. Pattaya immigration has not been requiring money seasoning for subsequent extensions for some years now (800K method) but they changed their policy a few days ago. Now they require 3 months. As stated with an embassy letter using the combo method, there is no seasoning requirement.
My husband has been told by samui imm that although he is on his 4th retirement ext and has proof of income embassy letter for about 600,00 baht pa he still needs three months seasoning for the balance of around 200,000.......in spite of this not being written in the law. The official

said his big boss said it was easier to think that any cash requires 3 months seasoning!

If you go that route you have to get a double (DOUBLE) tourist entry visa from a foreign country city. That gives you a total of 5 months in Thailand but you burn out each city after you go there. You can now go to some cities in Cambodia but I don't know which ones . The Other four I know are Vietiane Loas. Penang, Kota Baru. and Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. This costs a fortune and several days out there traveling.

I'm not too clear on what you mean starting from "you burn out each city after you go there." Can you elaborate?

Yes, the rule means that the account cannot go under 800K during the money seasoning period.

The money seasoning period for first time extensions is two months rather than three months, so it will be easier this time.

You do need to start over.

Your options assuming your money will be properly seasoned for the new effort:

-- go to a neighboring country (Laos/Malaysia) and get a new O visa single entry

-- -- go to a neighboring country (Laos/Malaysia) and get a tourist visa, then convert it to an O at Thai immigration as part of the two step process, visa change plus extension. This route would be silly though, might as well get the O as long as you are there

-- just fly in and out, get 30 days, then convert it to an O at Thai immigration as part of the two step process, visa change plus extension (you need 21 days left on permission to stay to do the change of visa in Thailand)

Perhaps not all offices will do the change of visa in Thailand, please inform us of your office.

Singapore isn't the easiest embassy to deal with. Penang and Vientienne are recommended.

Good luck.

BTW, I think this rule is onerous for long time stayers, but that is just a whine, nothing we can do.

BTW, you have been staying on retirement EXTENSIONS, you haven't "been" on the O-A visa for many years now. No need whatsoever to go to your home country and do the O-A again.

The above I find interesting as I am a "retiree" myself. I have been here coming up 5 years. The start of your reply/advice you refer to the "Money SEASONING period" being two months rather than 3 months for the "1st time" extensions? Does this mean it will be "3MONTHS" for subsequent renewals> for the 1st few years of my visa extensions/renewals I just topped up my account to 800,000 + about a months before and was never questioned then last year they threatened to fine or force me to leave Thailand if my bank account dipped below 800,000 3 months prior. Thank you. Tomasf

Hi,

Thanks again - Buzzer

If you're an American, all you've got to do is to see your embassy and they'll ask you how high your monthly pension,or income is. All Immigr. are okay with that procedure. Good Luck Chuck.

Hi,

Thanks again - Buzzer

800,000 OR! $1800 per month income. A letter from your countries embassy can be obtained for this for about 1900 baht.

They don't check. - You just fill in the amount. This is fairly common knowledge about the Thai retirement visa - don't you know this?

You will change the immigrant status of your retirement visa if you go on a border run. I saw someone do this and it was a huge ordeal at immigration to get it changed back.

Border runs are only good for 15 days - you can't do this anymore. If you go that route you have to get a double (DOUBLE) tourist entry visa from a foreign country city. That gives you a total of 5 months in Thailand but you burn out each city after you go there. You can now go to some cities in Cambodia but I don't know which ones . The Other four I know are Vietiane Loas. Penang, Kota Baru. and Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. This costs a fortune and several days out there traveling.

For the extension (either 800,000 or monthly income method), at immigration, must you show your passbook(s)?

If so, it would be easy to see if there are/aren't monthly deposits if you claim monthly income and so you'd say the income goes where -an account out of the country?

Are you SURE that no pay/income stubs are needed at immigration?

If going this route, when should the embassy affidavit be obtained?

If going the 800,000 route, when should the bank letter be obtained?

What is the time window for extension - how early can it be done before the expiration date.