Retiree Account Dipped Below 800,000. Now Forced To Leave.

jing - is a typical savings account at a thai bank sufficient, or is there a special type(s) of account needed for 800K money when getting the extension?

No, nothing special.

A passbook savings account is typical. People coming to Thailand to retire cannot open checking accounts.

Edited by Jingthing

What these government clowns do not get is that every time they come up with another one of their harebrained "anti- fareng campaigns" ...

Well, you can blame your perceived “anti-foreigner” sentiment that you seem to think caused this. What I blame is all the borderline farangs that abused the system with fake marriage certificates and sham marriages, insufficient funds which they borrowed the day before applying for extensions, and fake education qualifications in order to get extensions. It’s no wonder that the Thai Immigration scrutinizes each application carefully these days; people have been taking advantage of them for years. As usual, when people are abusing a system; it is the innocent that end up paying for it.

TH

• Like 1

The income does not have to be pension income. It can be any type of legit income. Any. Pattaya immigration has not been requiring money seasoning for subsequent extensions for some years now (800K method) but they changed their policy a few days ago. Now they require 3 months. As stated with an embassy letter using the combo method, there is no seasoning requirement.
My husband has been told by samui imm that although he is on his 4th retirement ext and has proof of income embassy letter for about 600,00 baht pa he still needs three months seasoning for the balance of around 200,000.......in spite of this not being written in the law. The official

said his big boss said it was easier to think that any cash requires 3 months seasoning!

I had income Bt65k a month certified by my Embassy. But was told that I should have some money in my bank as well.

How much I asked? 300-400k they replied. So I had to get some money and put it in my account by selling some Thai shares.

To be quite frank I do think it unwise to try and live as a retiree in Thailand on the minimum requirements because sooner or later you will run into problems. 4 Major operations for my wife and I set us back 600k this year and the economic turndown halved our savings. Fortunately we had quite a bit more funds to live here than is required, but I don't think a lot of retirees are as fortunate as us.

I had income Bt65k a month certified by my Embassy. But was told that I should have some money in my bank as well. How much I asked? 300-400k they replied.

What immigration office? That is contrary to the national rule as your pension income technically qualified you.

It’s no wonder that the Thai Immigration scrutinizes each application carefully these days; people have been taking advantage of them for years.

In my view, that is a GROSS EXAGGERATION. Just learn the rules, learn any quirks of your local office, follow them, and RELAX. For the vast majority of us, retirement extensions are a BREEZE.

Edited by Jingthing

It’s no wonder that the Thai Immigration scrutinizes each application carefully these days; people have been taking advantage of them for years.

In my view, that is a GROSS EXAGGERATION. Just learn the rules, learn any quirks of your local office, follow them, and RELAX. For the vast majority of us, retirement extensions are a BREEZE.

I think you misunderstood my post. I agree for most its a breeze. While writing this yesterday, got an SMS from a friend down south that said he got his exstension in his local office in 20 minutes. But you do have to agree they look a lot harder at the various documentation then they used to.

TH

You can go to ANY Immigration Office in the Kingdom.

In Laem Ngob for instance (in Trat Province, near the ferry to Koh Chang) they are very accommodating.

From Pattaya it takes you nearly one day (about 250 km one-way) to get there in time and come back.

For your 90 days notifications later on, you can go to ANY other Immigration Office in the Kingdom.

Only when you need to transfer a visa from an old passport into a new one, you have to go to the same Immigration Office.

In Laem Ngob for instance (in Trat Province, near the ferry to Koh Chang) they are very accommodating.

From Pattaya it takes you nearly one day (about 250 km one-way) to get there in time and come back.

For your 90 days notifications later on, you can go to ANY other Immigration Office in the Kingdom.

Only when you need to transfer a visa from an old passport into a new one, you have to go to the same Immigration Office.

This is really a totally separate topic and probably deserves its own thread. However, what you say is exactly opposite to what I have heard recently.

I think you misunderstood my post. I agree for most its a breeze. While writing this yesterday, got an SMS from a friend down south that said he got his exstension in his local office in 20 minutes. But you do have to agree they look a lot harder at the various documentation then they used to.

TH

Honestly, I don't know about this as it would involve a broadly based accurate survey of some kind. In my experience, the first time I received an unpleasant amount of scrutiny and after that it was routine. That doesn't mean they won't figure out whether a person has met the rules or not, they will.

This information is wrong

This is really a totally separate topic and probably deserves its own thread. However, what you say is exactly opposite to what I have heard recently.

It reflects my personal experience with my retirement visa and passport renewal.

The imposed Immigration department laws for retirement in Thailand is as follows:

1. Have to be a minimum age of 50 years.

2. 800000 baht invested with a Thai bank in baht for a period of 2 months on inception then 3 months prior to visa application.

3. A pension income of 65000 baht per month.

4. A combination of funds invested with a Thai bank and pension income totalling to an amount of 800000 baht.

There is no exceptions to these rules under any circumstances, except for those who have obtained permanent visas.

I believe there are

The above rules are for those who first gained their "retirement" Visas from 21 Oct 1998 onwards.

There are different rules for those before that date (Police order No777/2551)

Dave

It reflects my personal experience with my retirement visa and passport renewal.

Hopefully Dick will inform us all, why one would want to go to Laem Ngob from Pattaya to renew an extension.Maybe he fell out with the Jomtien Imm Office or he fancied a spot of lunch on KC.

• 1 month later...
The income does not have to be pension income. It can be any type of legit income. Any. Pattaya immigration has not been requiring money seasoning for subsequent extensions for some years now (800K method) but they changed their policy a few days ago. Now they require 3 months. As stated with an embassy letter using the combo method, there is no seasoning requirement.
My husband has been told by samui imm that although he is on his 4th retirement ext and has proof of income embassy letter for about 600,00 baht pa he still needs three months seasoning for the balance of around 200,000.......in spite of this not being written in the law. The official

said his big boss said it was easier to think that any cash requires 3 months seasoning!

Interesting, but confusing and contradictory, reading as I am due to renew (second time) my retirement extension in Laem Ngop in 7 weeks.

I have the equivalent of 500,000 in income and will get the certification from the embassy. I dont have the 300,000 in my account today, but it's ready to be moved at any time. Is the 3 month or 2 month seasoning relevant, can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Interesting, but confusing and contradictory, reading as I am due to renew (second time) my retirement extension in Laem Ngop in 7 weeks.

I have the equivalent of 500,000 in income and will get the certification from the embassy. I dont have the 300,000 in my account today, but it's ready to be moved at any time. Is the 3 month or 2 month seasoning relevant, can anyone confirm? Thanks.

The money does not have to be seasoned when you the combination method.

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

While we may not like the rules, we certainly like bitching, pissing and moaning about the injustice of it all...

Come on people; they are NOT that difficult to understand. Last time I checked we are in thailand where they can (and often do) make up any rules they want for foreigners staying here. I think it has something to do with it being their country and all. The biggest complaint I get from people I help with their retirement extensions is "the rules aren't like they are in my country.." My answer is frickin' look around you goofball, does this place even look remotely like you're in your country? Catch a clue...

What is much more difficult is some immigrations offices seem to interpret the rules as they see fit. In Bangkok it's pretty straightforward in how they enforce the rules, but some outlying offices in Nakhon Nowhere seem to have a free hand in their own style of shall we say "creative interpretation".

Listen to Lop, and Jing, (and of course; to a much lesser degree, myself)

If next year there is a rule saying you must wear green shoes to apply for a retirement extension, don't bitch about it, just go buy green shoes.

Buzzer, next time do some hunting around in your area as there are still a few people/lawyers etc who will lend you the shortfall for 3 months until the visa is obtained, then you pay it back with interest.

Too late now though????

This is one of the reasons they introduced the 3 month seasoning rule.

People ducking the system.

What is the difference really? A loan, borrowed money from a friend, mum, dad or uncle...or bank. It's a dumb rule.

It's a dumb rule.

Ditto.

If someone doesn't have enough money to retire in Thailand, sooner or later they will be shaken out of the tree, without any prompting from immigration. If someone borrows money, they must pay it back, so presumably they have the money to pay it back! If it is just show money paid for a fee for the show, and the person is really skint, then again, sooner or later this reality will hit the fan. As Thailand lacks a safety net even for citizens, what is the issue if a small percentage of foreigners are gaming the system? We are ALL punished for this, and to what benefit for anyone, I can't imagine.

Edited by Jingthing

If you are married to a Thai the amount is only 400k in the bank (if it hasnt changed lately) marriage has to be registered in Thailand though..

Yes, thanks, but the topic is RETIREMENT extensions, yes?

YES, i know that.. i just wanted to give another option here if he wasn't aware of it.. as it is an easier one too..

Easier on the money requirements, but not for the somewhat complex procedures for verifying the marriage is a true marriage, not just a piece of paper. Also, when the marriage ends in death or divorce, so does permission to stay, not only in the country, but wherever you're staying; it would require starting over from scratch at a very bad time, when you might not be up to it.