Visiting thailand for 2 months

Hi

I'm planning to travel out to Thailand from the UK in the middle of November and stay for 2 months. On a British passport I know I can stay for 30 days without a visa. I'm not going to apply for a tourist visa before leaving the UK as before 30 days is up in Thailand I'm going to Vietnam for a few days and then back to Thailand for a few weeks before returning to the UK.

Can anyone see a problem with me doing this? If necessary, I can get a visa when in Thailand can't I? Last year I stayed more than 30 days and got a visa when already in Thailand to cover the extended stay.

Bad idea TommyT.

Get yourself a double entry visa BEFORE you leave. This will cost you £30 and give you 60 days per entry.

So, when you return from Vietnam you will automatically get a 60 day visa.

Then you avoid the necessity of extending if you need to. The cost of a visa extension (inside Thailand) has moved from 500 baht(£7.50) to 1900 baht(£29)

If you're sure you won't need to extend, then try it your way.

If you haven't time to visit the London Embassy, here is a list of the Thai Consulates in the UK that have a postal service;

http://www.thailand-uk.com/thaiemb.html

You can download a visa form from this location; http://www.thaiinuk.com/visaapplicationform_internet.pdf

Just in case you need it: http://www.vietnamembassy.org.uk/consular.html

You can download a visa form from that location.

Thanks for the info. Didn't realise it was quite so easy to get a 60 day tourist visa, but I've found a site where i can download the forms and Thai consulates in the UK where I can apply by mail which is what i need as I don't live on the mainland. London consular section don't accept applications by mail anymore.

Guest IT Manager
Airlines are unlikely to carry you without a visa. That 30 day permit on arrival requires that you have a confirmed flight out of Thailand within that 30 days.

Dr is that a new requirement, about having a ticket out before carrying you in? My wife travels in and out all the time and I'm sure that hasn't been an issue.

Just interested

It is an ancient regulation, mostly enforced. To qualify for that 30 day tourist permit, the passenger is required to have a confirmed outbound airticket within 30 days. The airlines reluctance to carry people stems from their hip pocket nerve. When people are denied entry ( or 'turned around' in industry parlance ) the airline is fined 20,000 baht and required to remove the passenger at its own expense on the first available flight. Be very careful, particularly right now.