Phuket Landlord Arrested For Triple Homicide

george

Phuket landlord arrested for triple homicide

RAWAI, PHUKET: -- Police have arrested a suspect for the Saturday night murder of three men who were gunned down as they drank beer together outside their Rawai home.

A fourth victim, also shot in the attack, is in stable condition at Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Police received a report of the shooting just before midnight on Saturday and were at the scene within five minutes.

They found three men dead of .38 caliber gunshot wounds and a fourth man seriously wounded.

All four were lying on the ground around the table they had been drinking at, which was surrounded by Leo beer bottles.

The victims were identified as 38-year-old Songkhla native Kowit Nongmanee, Somsak Rodchuay, 29, from Nakhon Sri Thammarat and 49-year-old Phaisarn Kraikaew from Phuket.

The sole survivor, 29-year-old Yothin Singhakosit of Phrae province, was rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital by rescue workers from the Phuket Ruamjai Kupai Foundation.

He is now in stable condition, but too ill to be questioned by police.

The victims, all friends and construction workers, had been enjoying their usual Saturday night drinking session outside their home.

The rented dwelling is located about 100 meters up a small lane off Wiset Road, near the 7-Eleven branch at Muang Phuket School.

Among the onlookers viewing the carnage when police arrived was 38-year-old Songpol Phoonkerd, a Phuket native.

Eyewitnesses told police that Mr Songpol, who owned a nearby home and was the victims’ landlord, was responsible for the attack.

After having an arrest warrant issued, police took him into custody about 6am.

A search of his home uncovered a small air gun in a holster, but not the .38 caliber murder weapon used in the shooting.

Mr Songpol, who reportedly denies the allegations, is now in custody at Chalong Police Station.

He faces multiple counts of premeditated murder, one count of attempted murder and weapons violations.

Police are still not sure about the motive.

“They all worked in construction together, helping each other find jobs, so it is possible it may have been related to business or some other kind of misunderstanding,” Lt Col Boonlert said.

“I am not sure if Mr Songpol is mentally stable,” he added.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-08-10

Here we go he will be out on bail soon he wasn't in full control so let out on bail. When he drove to the home of the workers or when he got out of his van walked over and cooly shot them 1 after the other id say he knew exactly what he was goung to do. Lets see how long it takes a minister to come out with the favorite " no cause for concern tourism will not be affected".

• 1 month later...

I used Songpol as a contractor several years ago. He threatened me with physical violence in the police station while we were attempting to sort out a disagreement over the construction payment schedule. I immediately reported the threat to the Chalong police, who did nothing about it. The Chalong police actually aided Songpol in extorting money from another contractor that I engaged to work on the building site. Songpol employed undocumented Burmese workers and had paid the Chalong police to "allow" him to transit the Chalong circle without "problems".

Songpol was mentally stable but hotheaded & prone to resorting to violence if things did not go his way(does this sound familiar?). As a foreigner, I have been threatened by a number of locals in Phuket and even had a gun pulled on me once. It's incredible the frequency of homicide in Phuket. There have been at least 5 homicides(that I'm aware of) within a 500 meter radius of Songpol's house within the last several years.

Phuket has become a real nightmare in the last 10-years. It's not a safe place to be.

I have been threatened by a number of locals in Phuket and even had a gun pulled on me once.
I have never been really threatened, nor has a gun been pulled on me. What do you do to have this done to you?

I was attempting to return four expensive ceiling fans (7,000 Baht/pc) that all burned up within 30 minutes of operation. They were evidently faulty and the owner refused to either replace the fans or return my money. TIT

If you have not had any unsavory altercations with locals in Phuket I must assume that you haven't lived there very long and/or you have had minimal contact with the locals.

The Thais seem pretty good at concealing their emotions but the problem is these can build up to an explosive point. Combine this with so called loss of face & access to a gun then you have a very dangerous situation.

I have been here many years & have multitude dealings with the locals both through business & socially. On occasion I have lost my cool but have never felt physically threatened. Mind you my drinking days in Patong were from an earlier era when it was a much more user friendly place. Keep cool & keep smiling, usually works.

With the fans could it have been a case of faulty wiring as it seems strange that all 4 fans would burn out.

I was attempting to return four expensive ceiling fans (7,000 Baht/pc) that all burned up within 30 minutes of operation. They were evidently faulty and the owner refused to either replace the fans or return my money. TIT

If you have not had any unsavory altercations with locals in Phuket I must assume that you haven't lived there very long and/or you have had minimal contact with the locals.

Return things like that at Big C: no problem. Buy privately and return them: no chance. But if they drew a gun on you for that you must have made quite a hassle.

I live in the middle of locals and have lots of contact with locals, and have been living here for almost 10 years.

Return things like that at Big C: no problem. Buy privately and return them: no chance. But if they drew a gun on you for that you must have made quite a hassle.

I live in the middle of locals and have lots of contact with locals, and have been living here for almost 10 years.

I don't know what your definition of a "big hassel" is but I politely, but firmly, requested either a return of my money or a replacement. The only threat I posed to the shop owner was that of a financial matter.

If you've actually been living full-time in Phuket for 10-years, had day-to-day contact with locals (other than being a patron at a restaurant, etc) and haven't had any bad experiences with the locals, you're a very lucky man. Question, do you communicate with most Thais in Thai or English?

The Thais seem pretty good at concealing their emotions but the problem is these can build up to an explosive point. Combine this with so called loss of face & access to a gun then you have a very dangerous situation.

I have been here many years & have multitude dealings with the locals both through business & socially. On occasion I have lost my cool but have never felt physically threatened. Mind you my drinking days in Patong were from an earlier era when it was a much more user friendly place. Keep cool & keep smiling, usually works.

With the fans could it have been a case of faulty wiring as it seems strange that all 4 fans would burn out.

Yes, I thought it strange also that all the fans would burn up. I took them to have them repaired at several places and was told that they were cheaply made and not even worth repairing. I replaced them with some cheap 900 Baht fans which have worked fine ever since.

I realize it's best to smile and keep your cool but if you press an issue which ultimately results in a possible loss of face and/or money, all bets are off.

I don't know what your definition of a "big hassel" is but I politely, but firmly, requested either a return of my money or a replacement. The only threat I posed to the shop owner was that of a financial matter.

If you've actually been living full-time in Phuket for 10-years, had day-to-day contact with locals (other than being a patron at a restaurant, etc) and haven't had any bad experiences with the locals, you're a very lucky man. Question, do you communicate with most Thais in Thai or English?

Well, you talked about being threatened with a gun, which is not normal behaviour.

I have daily contact with locals, without any problems. As much as possible I communicate in Thai. Of course I have had my problems with locals, both on Phuket and in my homecountry. But you're talking about being threatened and having a gun pulled on you.

In Thailand, in general: buy at big shops like Big C and Lotus: yest, you'll get a replacement, buy at the small places or privately: sold is sold, no replacements. Still, if you manage to get a connection with the shopowner their service can get excellent, but those are the exceptions.

Well, you talked about being threatened with a gun, which is not normal behaviour.

I have daily contact with locals, without any problems. As much as possible I communicate in Thai. Of course I have had my problems with locals, both on Phuket and in my homecountry. But you're talking about being threatened and having a gun pulled on you.

In Thailand, in general: buy at big shops like Big C and Lotus: yest, you'll get a replacement, buy at the small places or privately: sold is sold, no replacements. Still, if you manage to get a connection with the shopowner their service can get excellent, but those are the exceptions.

Yes, I was threatened with a gun over a relatively small financial matter. Thailand has one of the highest homicide by firearms rate in the world and the murder rate per capita in yr 2000 was 6 times that of the US. In 2000, the number of murders with firearms in Thailand (in actual number of people murdered not per capita) was exceeded only by South Africa and Columbia.

So, with that in mind, I suggest that have a greater probability of having a gun pulled on you in Thailand than almost anywhere else in the world.

OK, so now we go from your own experiences to the usual and dodgy statistics.

I am still curious: you talked about being threatened and having a gun pulled on you, so far you have given hardly any information on that.

if a thai pull a handgun on you..just pull one on him too..simple.

Or move in close enough to turn his wrist inward to the point where he is either in pain or his wrist gives way. The weapon is then pointing at him at very close range. You can either help him pull the trigger or slide your hand long the back of the hand he is holding the weapon in and take the weapon from him. MOVE back at this point, otherwise he can do the same to you.

After that, it's up to you.

Practise with your partner. My wife loves this game. She has yet to shoot me so I must be doing something right for her.

It the weapon is a long barrelled weapon. Move in close enough to be able to quickly push the barrel of the weapon as high as possible. This will either cause the guy's trigger finger to snap (lovely) or he will lose his grip of the weapon. You may be able to force the foresight into his face. You can then reverse the weapon and use it against him and his 5 mates he will probably have with him. Again MOVE back immediately otherwise it looks like something out of the film Equaliberium.

First Aid is another good thing to learn. Three people I know are alive because I did.

Be prepared.

Edited by teddy_bare

Or move in close enough to turn his wrist inward to the point where he is either in pain or his wrist gives way. The weapon is then pointing at him at very close range. You can either help him pull the trigger or slide your hand long the back of the hand he is holding the weapon in and take the weapon from him. MOVE back at this point, otherwise he can do the same to you.

Practise with your partner. My wife loves this game. She has yet to shoot me so I must be doing something right for her.

It the weapon is a long barrelled weapon. Move in close enough to be able to quickly push the barrel of the weapon as high as possible. This will either cause the guy's trigger finger to snap (lovely) or he will lose his grip of the weapon. You may be able to force the foresight into his face. You can then reverse the weapon and use it against him and his 5 mates he will probably have with him. Again MOVE back immediately otherwise it looks like something out of the film Equaliberium.

First Aid is another good thing to learn. Three people I know are alive because I did.

Be prepared.

You should be a comedien,as thats very funny mr Rambo

Be prepared.

You have spent far too long in front of your television my friend 55555!!!

You should be a comedien,as thats very funny mr Rambo

You resemble that remark.

If I told you how to change a wheel, would you feel less threatened and less weak than you are maybe? Is that something you might able to master?

Where do you think the movie people get their military advisors from?

The world is a hugh place and people have varying jobs and skill sets. I could also teach you Scuba Diving tomorrow, or how to be a First Responder would you believe that??

Look beyond your own life experiences, not everyone worked in MacDonalds.

I am still curious: you talked about being threatened and having a gun pulled on you, so far you have given hardly any information on that.

Your last post does not deserve a response so none given.

Your last post does not deserve a response so none given.

LOL, you talk about how dangerous it is on Phuket, you having been threatened and having a gun pulled on you.

When asked for an explanation you come up with virtually nothing, except accusing me of having not lived here long enough to know what I'm talking about or not interacting with any Thai. When that is sorted and you're asked again what really happened to you to have been threatened and having a gun pulled on you, you write that you don't want to answer. So I can only conclude you're another scare mongerer without any substance.

Edited by stevenl

keep going you guys . . . this is great!

"Practise with your partner. My wife loves this game. She has yet to shoot me so I must be doing something right for her."

I'm hoping here he has not yet had to break her fingers when playing this 'game' - is the gun loaded? 5555 she may get her chance one day . . .

Just for the record, I lived Karon/Kata, and in July moved to Chalong, yet to be threatened by anyone with a gun.

Actually haven't been threatened by anyone at all.

People round here are just so darned nice! Which is fortunate as I have no self-defence skills, or interest in learning any.

• 2 weeks later...

Be prepared.

Hilarious. I'll bet you have a very different songkran to everyone else :)

Practice with your partner. My wife loves this game. She has yet to shoot me so I must be doing something right for her.

Be prepared.

It is practiced by some UK forces, With the gun in your back , you should be able to turn and take the gun out of the attackers hand by above method quicker than they can pull the triger, that is true,

QUOTE (teddy_bare @ 2009-10-01 13:53:56) post_snapback.gifQUOTE (Avante @ 2009-09-30 02:13:25) post_snapback.gifif a thai pull a handgun on you..just pull one on him too..simple.

There can be only two ways to take these thread;

[1] i can agree with all other replies and say yes, you watch too many movies ,or

[2]You actually have had a hel_l of a lot of training....the moves you describe are only acheivable with many, many hours training in disarming techniques and hand to hand combat training.

If no2 is correct you deserve a good kick to the groin and to be locked up away from society for advising the Mr Average Citizen[or Mrs] to do as you say.If you really have undergone training for fact,you should know a lot better than to put as you have in print.There are actually people out there in ga-ga land who would take your advice seriously and really beleive it is as easy as you say!!

Such moves would undoubtably fail and result in serious injury and probably death to Mr{Mrs] Citizen!!

The normal advice for anyone who was in these cicumstances is, [after craping their pants] to be totaly non-confrontational,don't look directly at the gunweilder,plead for your life,AND PRAY,like you've never prayed before!!Best advice of course is Don't get yourself into this situation in the first place!

I myself have had disarmament training,and mixed martial arts experience,and i know for fact that even a knife removal is a deadly move,let alone a gun..I was taught, NEVER under any[ civilian] circumstances try to disarm an agressor...unless you have absolutely no option...someone is likely to die,and the chances are 99% it will be you!!!

I know of two people who have had guns pulled out on them this last year. One is a foreigner who has lived here 15 years and speaks fluent Thai,he was told that "this is Thailand,remember that you f#cking foreigner", and one was a Thai, both were driving related incidents. To anyone who thinks these things don't happen, believe me THEY DO! Take care out there, this place is getting worse by the minute.

Be prepared.

I find this advice quite amusing...much like I find similar advice given by Dwight Schrute on the US version of The Office.

Rainn_Wilson.jpg

For what it's worth, I have also had a gun to my head twice and both traffic related. Been shot at once and been chased in Patong by a crazy guy with a 12 inch knife...although he was Arabic. Interesting to note, that the fine for threatening and chasing someone with a large knife is 100baht...worth remembering.