"13 Dollars": How Are They Doing?

SouthsideBoy

Hi there! A newbie, me, wants to know how "13 dollars" or "Sibsam Rean" restaurant/eating joint is doing? Are they doing ok?

I came to high school here in the mid 90s and left in 96. I used to save up some cash during weekdays by eating only mama noodles and took out a girl, blow up about 100 bht. at this place trying to impress her. I went there only once, but it was there that she decided, I was an ok guy. We parted a couple of years later, but are still good friends.

I just want to know briefly about it. Nothing special about their food, but 10 years ago, it was the place that I know of for us to have some western food. For my taste, nothing can replace Thai food. Just can't have enough of it. Yes, I'm a Thai guy and gaining my belly size in an alarming rate. :o

Thanks ahead for the info. Just a couple of quick ones are fine. CM does make people miss her badly.

SouthsideBoy

Chicago, IL

Sorry guys, I forgot to tell the location of this place.

It's on Canal road south-bound just a couple hundreds of meters from it'sHuaykaew intersection. Or it's on the otherside of the road if you take off from Huaykaew to 700-year stadium/ governer office and Maerim etc..

SouthsideBoy

It's actually 13 Coins not 13 Dollars. See link below for the story of how it started. I'm a big fan and love the food and the portions. When i'm in thailand i usually frequent the one on ladprao road. You might also want to check out tuk la dee... always great to have a "clean" source of food after a late night out.

http://www.dininginthailand.com/13coins-concept.asp

Wow, Vit42!

Thank you for the info. It's heart warming to learn that Mr. Somchai has accomplished over the years and his "13 coins" restaurants are going strong.

My past fond experience definitely was impacted by his establishment, a good restaurant in deed. When I come back to visit Thailand again (hopefully in a couple of months), I'll go to 13 coins for a good time.

Have a good time in Boston. Hope the last snow storm didn't hurt you that bad.

SouthsideBoy