Red Wine - Best Buy?

laconic

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sould stay away from anything Australia , Jacob's Creak etc. They tend to eport the real bad stuff.

Mont clair and Peter Villa (Californian) are sold at seven eleven across the country and reasonable at about 329 bt. The quality varires from bottle to bottle, but it is almost always better than the Jacob Creak, which is more expensive and stocked in the same store.

In the supermarkets look for Chlean. There's some nice Cabernet's and Shiraz. One is called Rama---- One rule of thumb I use is that if there is only one or two bottles of one brand on the shelf that's usually because it's a good batch. Go for that.

Some wines travel better than others, but as a general rule avoid the Australian and the French. Some Italians have been ok along with new world wines.

OK, here is my six penneth worth.....

First thing to remember is that Australia and New Zealand have a free trade agreement with Thailand on wine, so on a 750 cl bottle they pay 54% less customs than everyone else, and that means that the excise tax, local tax, and vat is calculated on a lower figure.

My wine club offers a vast range of value wines at 350 baht a bottle, a wider range at 500 baht, and some really good wines at 900 baht. Delivered to your door in mixed cases. The downside is you have to wait for them as it's a once a month deal. Napa Valley, South Africa, Italy, USA (other), Turkey (don't mock it til you tried it), Greece, France are all available and the range is expanding all the time.

They only do 750cl bottles, so no boxes or big bottles, but there is something for every taste.

It seems to be not well known, but knocks the socks of the Monte Claire quality.

I agree that turkish wines are respectable and I useta drink the cheap red plonk in preference to whatever else was available down the supermarket when I lived there...never did like the rakuh too much except when out somewhere in a cafe...

the turkish tea in the little tulip glass was better than any alcoholic beverage...highly addictive...

and I slid into a turkish reverie...with a rumpled suit and a brush moustache and lots of cigarettes... and then they said: 'tutsi! wake up! we got a job to do over here...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 1 month later...

Buy your wine in Laos, Penfold BIN 8 costs 500 THB there, 1250 at Foodland...

I'll second that.

The duty free place at the border with Nongkai is something else, more suited to a large international airport than a dusty border crossing. Restrictions on amounts bought in to Thailand evidently not an issue as I witnessed many hi-so Thais with shopping trolleys stacked with cases of wine. Anyone living in Northern Isaan who enjoys wine should make monthly trips there.

lets face it...the cheapest red plonk french vin de pays is better than any australian swill...makes me miss Sainsburys sometimes...

What you say is absolutely rediculous! At equivalent prices, Australian wines are generally better than French, except at the upper range of French wines. For $15 (or the equivalent) per bottle, you will almost always do better buying Australian (or Chilean or South African or Californian) wines than French wines. There are some pretty awful Australian wines, such as Jacob's Creek, for example. But there are some very good ones also, such as Terrell's, for example. And the really cheap Frence wines border (many actually cross the border) on being undrinkable. Better they turn them into gasohol and put them into your gas tank and not into your mouth!

lets face it...the cheapest red plonk french vin de pays is better than any australian swill...makes me miss Sainsburys sometimes...

What you say is absolutely rediculous! At equivalent prices, Australian wines are generally better than French, except at the upper range of French wines. For $15 (or the equivalent) per bottle, you will almost always do better buying Australian (or Chilean or South African or Californian) wines than French wines. There are some pretty awful Australian wines, such as Jacob's Creek, for example. But there are some very good ones also, such as Terrell's, for example. And the really cheap Frence wines border (many actually cross the border) on being undrinkable. Better they turn them into gasohol and put them into your gas tank and not into your mouth!

I was an ardent French wine drinker when living in Europe and places like Aldi in France have/ had some wonderful deals. British supermarkets stock some amazing wines for extremely good prices as they do with beers and spirits at a fraction of the cost to Australia.

@ Tutsiwarrior , you obviously dont know your Australian wines.. there are exceptional wines here, West/South/Victorian/Tasmanian wines are amongst some the of award winning wines in the world and to write it off as "Australian Swill" is showing your ignorance lol.

Graysonline is one of my favourite haunts and I manage to buy some incredible wines for $3.50 a bottle which includes free delivery!

I'll second that.

The duty free place at the border with Nongkai is something else, more suited to a large international airport than a dusty border crossing. Restrictions on amounts bought in to Thailand evidently not an issue as I witnessed many hi-so Thais with shopping trolleys stacked with cases of wine. Anyone living in Northern Isaan who enjoys wine should make monthly trips there.

We stock up our NongKhai home with wines from Laos at a fraction of the price, but Customs have clamped down heavily these days, so it helps having a regular courier insteadrolleyes.gif and you dont have to pay the $30 for the privilege to Immi.

• Like 1

well...I'm from California and CA wine is definitely better than australian and french is better than CA IMO...I didn't know what I was missin' until I lived in England with access to cheap french red at the supermarket...

It is a matter of taste. Personally if I were to take a bottle of wine to a friend in France it would have to be French wine with a "real cork"laugh.png

I personally dont rate American wine at all, although on a desert island I might surrender biggrin.png but its again a matter of taste. A bit like the fruit all show and no substancetongue.png Nothing like a real English apple!

Now living in Australia I certainly dont feel worse off in the wine field, price wise it is actually cheaper for me and as I have said we have some excellent wines here..

I'll second that.

We stock up our NongKhai home with wines from Laos at a fraction of the price, but Customs have clamped down heavily these days, so it helps having a regular courier insteadrolleyes.gif and you dont have to pay the $30 for the privilege to Immi.

I think that only expennsive French wine is good, under 3000 Thb a bottle in Thailand any French wine suxx...

But 1000 up Australian, California, Chili, or Argentina is a lot better than any French wine for the same price.

Hey edwinclapham can you tell me what courier company you use to cross the border at NONG KHAI and do you know anyone having REAL problems when crossing ? (real problem means court or very expensive fine)

Thanks.

• Like 1

I'll second that.

I think that only expennsive French wine is good, under 3000 Thb a bottle in Thailand any French wine suxx...

But 1000 up Australian, California, Chili, or Argentina is a lot better than any French wine for the same price.

Hey edwinclapham can you tell me what courier company you use to cross the border at NONG KHAI and do you know anyone having REAL problems when crossing ? (real problem means court or very expensive fine)

Thanks.

I personally have not had any problems bringing in wines etc from the Duty Free Shops at the border freegiftideas although latterly I am more aware of stringent controls with plain clothes hanging around and asking for bag inspections amongst the western fraternity.

I am led to believe that Laos Duty Free are informing Customs of any excessive "purchasing habits"smile.png therefore I stick to the presribed duty free allowancesrolleyes.gif . I will PM you the rest whistling.gifbiggrin.png

It is a matter of taste. Personally if I were to take a bottle of wine to a friend in France it would have to be French wine with a "real cork"laugh.png

I personally dont rate American wine at all, although on a desert island I might surrender biggrin.png but its again a matter of taste. A bit like the fruit all show and no substancetongue.png Nothing like a real English apple!

Now living in Australia I certainly dont feel worse off in the wine field, price wise it is actually cheaper for me and as I have said we have some excellent wines here..

You really are confused, and you are guilty of the same sin of which you accuse Tutsiwarrior ("you obviously dont know your [Californian] wines..."). Since as early as 1976, it has been well accepted (except in Paris) that the best wines in the world are produced in California. From Wikipedia:

"The Paris Wine Tasting of 1976 or the Judgment of Paris was a wine competition organized in Paris on 24 May 1976 by Steven Spurrier, a British wine merchant, in which French judges carried out two blind tasting comparisons: one of top-quality Chardonnays and another of red wines (Bordeaux wines from France and Cabernet Sauvignon wines from California).[1] A California wine rated best in each category, which caused surprise as France was generally regarded as being the foremost producer of the world's best wines. Spurrier sold only French wine and believed that the California wines would not win.[2] . . .

A 30th anniversary re-tasting on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean was organized by Steven Spurrier in 2006. As The Times reported "Despite the French tasters, many of whom had taken part in the original tasting, 'expecting the downfall' of the American vineyards, they had to admit that the harmony of the Californian cabernets had beaten them again. Judges on both continents gave top honors to a 1971 Ridge Monte Bello cabernet. Four Californian reds occupied the next placings before the highest-ranked Bordeaux, a 1970 Château Mouton-Rothschild, came in at sixth.[8] After the original tasting, some critics suggested that the French red wines would age better than their California counterparts. . . .

The results showed that additional panels of experts again preferred the California wines over their French competitors.[10]

Results 1. USA – Ridge Vineyards Monte Bello 1971

2. USA – Stag's Leap Wine Cellars 1973

3. USA – Mayacamas Vineyards 1971 (tie)

4. USA – Heitz Wine Cellars 'Martha's Vineyard' 1970 (tie)

5. USA – Clos Du Val Winery 1972

6. France – Château Mouton-Rothschild 1970

7. France – Château Montrose 1970

8. France – Château Haut-Brion 1970

9. France – Château Leoville Las Cases 1971

10. USA – Freemark Abbey Winery 1969

The French wine producers had many years experience making wine, whereas the California producers typically had only a few years experience; the 1972 vintage was Clos Du Val's very first, yet it performed better than any of its French competitors.

Although Spurrier had invited many reporters to the original 1976 tasting, the only reporter to attend was George M. Taber from TIME magazine, who promptly revealed the results to the world.[12] The horrified and enraged leaders of the French wine industry then banned Spurrier from the nation's prestige wine-tasting tour for a year, apparently as punishment for the damage his tasting had done to its former image of superiority.[2] The tasting was not significant for the French press who almost ignored the story." You must have missed this.

This direct, heads on test of French vs. California wines has been repeated several times since, and I am aware of no case where the California wines have not come out on top.

You are certainly correct -- it is a matter of taste. And apparently you have none. If you had, you would certainly recognize the true quality and value superiority of California wines over any other wines produced any where in the world, assuming of course an even playing field and tax regime. French wines are second, with a large number of countries vying for third. I would rank Bulgaria as the top producer in the third category, but it is, as noted, "a matter of taste". Next.

Edited by Thailaw
  • Like 1

We beg to differ. Sorry couldnt be bothered to go through the blurb..

Which is fair enoughbiggrin.png Not confused at all.!

Cheers (hic) as he sips a very decent bottle of Australian Merlot for $3.50biggrin.png

Edited by edwinclapham

wine competitions involve an 'international standard' based upon the grape and the winemakers' delivery...the soil and the growing conditions play a large part...I like a nice tipple as it helps to keep me away from the vodka...and in California there was the most splendid display of local wines available...

no matter...the stuff on offer at Sainsburys or Waitrose in the UK could beat CA wines every time...superb bordeaux and burgundy and always a good selection of italian wines with a nice frascati or a chianti...never in yer life in the US...nossuh...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I have to say that my one disappointment on a visit to San Francisco was the quality of the wine.

I had high expectations and dined at some quality places - the wines consistently did not live up to those expectations.

• Like 1

In case you don't want to buy 5L, Montclair is also sold as 75 cl bottles and it is in my opinion the most acceptable cheap wine in Thailand. Its from South Africa. Now available in 7/11 anywhere in Chonburi and coming to BKK (but can already be found in any BigC and Lotus supermarkets branch in BKK)

Cheers!

There are 2 grape varietals on offer, Shirax and Cab Sauv, For those of poor eyesight and can't see the very small writing on the cap the label will say Bin 5 ( Cab sauv) or No 9 (Shiraz)..Bin 5 is my fav....

For another good quality screw top try Taylors Cab Sauv..It REALLY is a nice wine...

I have to say that my one disappointment on a visit to San Francisco was the quality of the wine.

I had high expectations and dined at some quality places - the wines consistently did not live up to those expectations.

yeah...I got to admit that you have to have a trained eye when you look at a wine list in a restaurant in CA...most stuff is just high priced plonk...the nice stuff costs as much as a chateau french wine and for the same money I know which one that I'd choose...

and in SF unless you go to a 'really nice place' the restaurants aren't much to speak of...the authentic SF cuisine is a saute 'Joe's' place like Original Joe's on Taylor Street in the Tenderloin district and with that any local plonk will do...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

As an ex Californiac, I must admit I didn't drink much wine in restaurants (as it doesn't go so well with Mexican, Chinese food, etc.). However bought from good wine shops and wine.com I just can't agree that Californian wines aren't world class. They certainly are! Good value in Thailand? Nope.

Edited by Jingthing

yeah...I thought it interesting when my ex insisted upon ordering wine with a curry in England...and when in CA at a japanese restaurant she wondered why there wasn't a wine list...

but she grew up in east Glasgow and can't be blamed too much...

but, in rough comparison cheap french plonk is better than its typical CA equivalent anyday...the really good shit is another issue, but who drinks that stuff anyway?

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 3 weeks later...

Go to Laos!

It is now a few years since I've been to Laos, but I didn't find their prices any better than Thailand. In central Vientiane anyway.

Can anyone quote any current prices from Laos, both shop and bar or restaurant??

Go to Laos!

It is now a few years since I've been to Laos, but I didn't find their prices any better than Thailand. In central Vientiane anyway.

Can anyone quote any current prices from Laos, both shop and bar or restaurant??

On a recent short trip to Laos I didn't drink red wine but, from what I saw, it was certainly cheaper than Thailand (as was the very good duty free shop at Chong Mek).

Cannot beat Cambodia (in the immediate area)for value on alcohol. Drinkable wines for 120 Baht. Bacardi - 1 litre for 240 baht.

I personally have not had any problems bringing in wines etc from the Duty Free Shops at the border freegiftideas although latterly I am more aware of stringent controls with plain clothes hanging around and asking for bag inspections amongst the western fraternity.

I am led to believe that Laos Duty Free are informing Customs of any excessive "purchasing habits"smile.png therefore I stick to the presribed duty free allowancesrolleyes.gif . I will PM you the rest whistling.gifbiggrin.png

I was recently at the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge 2 duty free shop near Mukdahan and at the border my bag had to go through a scanner that allowed customs officials to see any bottles. Lucky I only had one.

I was recently at the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge 2 duty free shop near Mukdahan and at the border my bag had to go through a scanner that allowed customs officials to see any bottles. Lucky I only had one.

Yep, they pay more attention to the passengers rather than the passing trafficwhistling.gif .. biggrin.png

Mine too at Chong Mek. They didn't see/weren't interested in the 5 litre box of wine and 3 litres of spirits I had.