Red Wine - Best Buy?

laconic

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course cheap California, Chile and Argentina wines are better than cheap French wines because of additives put inside these wines but that are forbidden in France and EU (I think).

But who cares what they put inside, when I go to Mc Donald I want my Big Mac to taste as good anywhere in the world, so when I drink wine I want it to have the same taste anytime, and this is why California and South american wines are better than cheap French Wine.

If you buy at least 3000 thb French wine in Thailand you can find something acceptable, but not under, or you don't know anythint about wine.

500 Thb California is quite good already.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Of course cheap California, Chile and Argentina wines are better than cheap French wines because of additives put inside these wines but that are forbidden in France and EU (I think).

But who cares what they put inside, when I go to Mc Donald I want my Big Mac to taste as good anywhere in the world, so when I drink wine I want it to have the same taste anytime, and this is why California and South american wines are better than cheap French Wine.

If you buy at least 3000 thb French wine in Thailand you can find something acceptable, but not under, or you don't know anythint about wine.

500 Thb California is quite good already.

Beg to differ on the purity of French wines. France has been busted far too often to mention for sulfates and worse - even "mis en bouteille" that was actually poor grade bulk like Thailand's Mont Clair or champagne that wasn't.

A good Californian vintner will not add 'additives' ; think Robert Mondavi estate bottled, Hess, Larkmead, Silvarado, even top end Gallo - not an additive in the bunch and all very affordable (there). Now Charles Shaw (2-buck Chuck) maybe, though they won the blind tasting against some of Frances best which is more to your pint (point).

Salut!

Go to Laos!

Or Cambodia!

French red wine goes for as low as $5 a bottle in Phnom Penh supermarkets.

There is no way to get good stuff (Beer, spirits, or wine) cheaply in Thailand.

Seriously? Laos and Cambodia don't have the same absurd import tax?

Some imported booze gets a blue customs sticker, some gets a red/orange sticker. Anyone know why this is and what it means?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the blue label is complete import eg bottled outside of Thailand. Orange label is imported produce bottled /boxed here in Thailand.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 5 years later...

I'm new to this forum but would like to make a contribution. I buy wine in the UK at benchmark prices. For example Californian merlot from lidl is available at 4pounds 65 pence or Australian yellowtail for as cheap as 5 pounds a bottle. Such excellent wines are simply not available unless you are prepared to spend perhaps 3 times the price I have mentioned. Thus for me wine in Thailand is a non starter. On the other hand beer is more reasonably priced bearing something of an equivalence to U.K. Prices. And beer is a good compliment to curry food at least of the Indian kind. My experience in China, Yangshuo, in 2011 was that beer was so cheap then that the local climbing company allowed 2 free beers a day to climbers and staff members alike. However we live in the present and the BREXIT devaluation to around 41 baht to the pound is a severe blow to U.K. Tourists an expats alike. 

Edited by Hardball