Surfing

although i've been living here for quite a while, never focussed on surfing on samui. and just now that i - just- booked an expensive course in australia, people around start to tempt me with talks about great places with great waves. over here in samui???

anyone knows the best and quickest way to learn seriously (i do not have the discipline to learn it on my own!) in this perfect-wave-season (red flag today)? teachers/schools/places/all time favourites?

thanks, love you as always!

although i've been living here for quite a while, never focussed on surfing on samui. and just now that i - just- booked an expensive course in australia, people around start to tempt me with talks about great places with great waves. over here in samui???

anyone knows the best and quickest way to learn seriously (i do not have the discipline to learn it on my own!) in this perfect-wave-season (red flag today)? teachers/schools/places/all time favourites?

thanks, love you as always!

As far as i know , the waves on Samui are not the type to go surfing on . I cannot tell the difference , but some Aussies i know who know about surfing told me that . Depending on the season there can be pretty high waves though ....

Guess the first thing is you really don't need an expensive course to learn to stand up on a longboard! Someone can show you what to do in a couple of minutes. ( I took a cheap beginners lesson at Byron some years ago then came back to Japan and bought a ten foot long, nice thick longboard and started surfing that. Now I'm much more experienced I'd say probably the most importand thing is etticate (that doesn't look right, can't spell for shit), ie. Not dropping in when someone else is already on a wave! Very much doubt you'd have to worry about that on Samui - although I've never surfed there. Later,when you get better and if you want to,you could get onto shorter and shorter boards. Personally I'm still thrilled that I can ride a wave at all. As with anything it's only with practice that you'll get better so I'd start with a nice long,thick softboard (not fibreglass at first because you're likely to need to repair it a lot when you first start surfing) and enjoy.

I surfed up and down the west coast of Phuket last July/August. Lots of perfect longboarding days at kata beach. There's at least one shop that rents boards and a farang guy in the bottom corner of the beach, past kata beach resort, who's cheaper.

Hope this helps a bit,

david.

You somtimes see people surfing on chewang beach, just down

from The Samui Night Plaza, farang and thai.

I've seen body boarders and proper surfers, but this all depends

if the waves are there or not. :o

Noodles

Koh Samui, Phangan, Tao aren't very wavy, except for certain times of the year (nov-dec) or freak weather storms like now :o . I lived in Santa Cruz for years and never really heard much about surfing in thailand. Sri Lanka and parts of Indonesia are supposed to be great.

QUOTE(Jack Jones @ 2005-03-08 09:55:46)

I'd say Phuket and not Samui for surfing

Hmmm I hope that wasn't meant to be a joke.

Absolutely not. In my past visits to Phuket there were always a number of guys surfing on Karon, too dangerous to swim. No pun intended

Edited by Jack Jones

There is surf in Phuket - seasonal and wind driven granted, but it does exist. I surfed the west cooast of Phuket for about five weeks last July/August. Rented a longboard at kata beach as I described earlier on this thread. Perhaps not world class surf but perfect for a beginner. Been to Samui a couple of dozen times or more over the last fifteen years and have only seen surfable waves once on Chaweng.

Good luck to you umathurman,

david.