Crooked Policeman At Bang Na Tollbooth

dbrenn

when I go to Bangkok from pattaya I just pay the taxi fare and don't drive my car. Too many problems with the cops. My taxi driver, a friend after 3 years of using him, always gets worried when he sees a cop by the side of the road. He always points and says "100 baht"

In Kanchanaburi the couple were tourists, were the Canadian couple expats? Any result from the trial as yet?

My point is, that I have read hundreds of times on Thai Visa that expats shouldn't do this/that when around Thais/police etc as you will get yourself shot. Anyone who has been shot in Thailand has either been involved in crime or involved with the police in some way. Random shootings from angry Thais or cops eg. for traffic offences just doesn't happen.

Of course they were involved with the murdering Thai cop. They made the big mistake of eating in his restaurant!

In Kanchanaburi the couple were tourists, were the Canadian couple expats? Any result from the trial as yet?

My point is, that I have read hundreds of times on Thai Visa that expats shouldn't do this/that when around Thais/police etc as you will get yourself shot. Anyone who has been shot in Thailand has either been involved in crime or involved with the police in some way. Random shootings from angry Thais or cops eg. for traffic offences just doesn't happen.

Of course they were involved with the murdering Thai cop. They made the big mistake of eating in his restaurant!

Just a note, he specifically asked for events happening in Bangkok.

Not somewhere else.

The tourists being shot in Pai wasn't in Bangkok for instance.

Anyway, it is all being moot... lessons: don't handle your wallet in a way so someone can snatch it from you. Keep the larger bills out of sight of police. Keep a few hundred in the glove-compartment just for safety.

when I go to Bangkok from pattaya I just pay the taxi fare and don't drive my car. Too many problems with the cops. My taxi driver, a friend after 3 years of using him, always gets worried when he sees a cop by the side of the road. He always points and says "100 baht"

I think you should go and get your paranoia seen to....I drive BKK, Rayong at least a couple of times a week when I am at home, and the last time I was stopped by the BiB on the motorway was over 3 years ago... :)

But as always lets not let the truth get in the way of a good story... :D

Edited by Soutpeel

I think you should go and get your paranoia seen to....I drive BKK, Rayong at least a couple of times a week when I am at home, and the last time I was stopped by the BiB on the motorway was over 3 years ago... :)

I drove a while back on my bike, i got stopped 3 times. First time they asked me where i was going ( i think they thought i had a tv on my motorcycle but it was a gps). So nothing happend no shake down after i said i went fishing (was obvious too with my rods).

Second time i stopped at the lights near a police booth and while i waited the officer came out and engaged in conversation about fishing. again no problem.

Third time i was still trying to get to the fishing spot but my gps was giving me a hard time. So i went on the right lane and they saw it. They stopped me asked for my license told me it was illigal. But they did not make me pay anything. This time they could have made me pay but they did not.

I have never have to pay yet but im sure it will happen.

I think you should go and get your paranoia seen to....I drive BKK, Rayong at least a couple of times a week when I am at home, and the last time I was stopped by the BiB on the motorway was over 3 years ago... :) But as always lets not let the truth get in the way of a good story... :D

FYI, Pattaya - Rayong bypass is dangerous at night. Many people got robbed. The favorite trick is broken car asking for help.

I think you should go and get your paranoia seen to....I drive BKK, Rayong at least a couple of times a week when I am at home, and the last time I was stopped by the BiB on the motorway was over 3 years ago... :) But as always lets not let the truth get in the way of a good story... :D

FYI, Pattaya - Rayong bypass is dangerous at night. Many people got robbed. The favorite trick is broken car asking for help.

you know this as fact or urban myth ??....again driven many many times late at night on the Rayong/Pattya bypass and never seen a broken down car...or "thieves" asking for help... :D

It's the fact, "relatively risky" anyway. Some drivers fired a shot, scared them off and didn't report.

It's local road tip off. You can ask other Thais and some will agree this route is of higher risk. BTW, chose people with safety awareness in mind, many people are หน่อมแน้ม and simply don't think of possibility of crime at all. :)

Edited by oldsparrow

I suspect he has a point. In the last 6 months I've driven to Pattaya from BKK twice. The first I was stopped twice for false offenses and paid 1,000 bt. The most recent time I was stopped on a false offense and paid 500. I have been stopped on that route other times in past years. It does always seem random, bad luck perhaps.

I suspect he has a point. In the last 6 months I've driven to Pattaya from BKK twice. The first I was stopped twice for false offenses and paid 1,000 bt. The most recent time I was stopped on a false offense and paid 500. I have been stopped on that route other times in past years. It does always seem random, bad luck perhaps.

Please dont think I am saying you will never get sprung by the BiB on the motorway, yes it does happen and has happened to me in the past, but would I go to the length of the OP to hire a taxi to go from BKK to Pattaya, when I have a perfectly good car in garage, just because possible BiB entanglement ??....seems a rather strange way of dealing with it to me, unless of course the OP has other reasons for doing this ???....No drivers license perhaps ?.... :D

Edited by Soutpeel

I think that some people are completely going off at the deep end on this. Mixing up all kinds of scenarios and panicing about BIB shooting any westerner if just so much as says boo.

Look guys, the nastiness that happened in Pai and the 2 touros in Kanchanaburi has absolutely NOTHING to do with some bent traffic cop pulling you over for an offence, real or imagined. <deleted>, get a grip.

People paying 500 or a 1000 for whatever are paying too much. Sure, westerners get pulled over for BS charges. So do Thais! Did ya know that? Gee golly.

Just be polite, you can disagree, but don't start making a scene. They not just going to shoot out of hand. The story of some Thai bloke spouting off at the cop and getting shot, I have no evidence of this, but in anycase, did it sound smart?

Just give the <deleted> 100baht and you are on the way. That's it.

I drive here all the time, barely ever have any crap.

What would the scenario look like if I insisted that I wanted to pay the ticket at the station? Do they just write you a ticket then, or are they too lazy to do that?

Well, if you really did something, which is in the realm of possiblility, then the ticket is written, they take your license and you have to go to the policestation to pick it up and pay the fine. SOP.

If he is lazy and you insist on paying the fine, he might actually just wave you on. Just stay polite, but firm. You know:

Sawat dee khap, mai cha khap, chai khap, mai ao khap, pai policestation na khap.

The story of some Thai bloke spouting off at the cop and getting shot, I have no evidence of this

I remember that story in the news a few years back myself.

Well, if it happened, then it happened. But the point is, it's not a wise choice to go ballistic and use profanity and threaten the BIB. Right?

They are human, you know. :)

I love the more imaginative members on this forum. Bring up 2 isolated cases, 10 years apart relating to lethal incidents with Thai cops and suddenly every Thai copper is a gun-toting madman ready to shoot you at a moment's notice if you so much as give him a sideways glance.

I love the more imaginative members on this forum. Bring up 2 isolated cases, 10 years apart relating to lethal incidents with Thai cops and suddenly every Thai copper is a gun-toting madman ready to shoot you at a moment's notice if you so much as give him a sideways glance.

Astute observation and one I totally agree with.

My father in law is a retired cop. Likes to shoot. I went shooting with him and did not get shot! WOW.

I even got to fire his old .38 service revolver. Kickass.

Astute observation and one I totally agree with.

My father in law is a retired cop. Likes to shoot. I went shooting with him and did not get shot! WOW.

I even got to fire his old .38 service revolver. Kickass.

You mean he didn't blow you away? I guess your story will never be believed by the more 'enlightened' members of the forum.