Compare Chiang Rai To Chiang Mai?

greytown

There was a topic on this subject I believe but I cannot find it again doing a search.

Anyone that knows both Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai can compare the two? Which is nicer, more beautiful, more pleasant place to live etc. ? Pros and cons of each?

Of course there are difference. Both couldn't compared to Bangkok thou. Well, in Chiangmai basically not that bored,at least you can roam around late in the night for food drinks etc. But for Chiangrai, the weather is better thou but I personally feel it very bored staying there. I'man active person, u say?

Of course there are difference. Both couldn't compared to Bangkok thou. Well, in Chiangmai basically not that bored,at least you can roam around late in the night for food drinks etc. But for Chiangrai, the weather is better thou but I personally feel it very bored staying there. I'man active person, u say?

Thanks for your reply. I guess Chiang Rai is more for those who are looking for quiet and peaceful living?

There was a topic on this subject I believe but I cannot find it again doing a search.

Anyone that knows both Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai can compare the two? Which is nicer, more beautiful, more pleasant place to live etc. ? Pros and cons of each?

I came to live in Thailand in the Mid Eighties.

I lived originally 22 Km south of Measi when Measai was a Dodge City type of a place with an old rickety bridge over the River and any Exotic Bird or Animal could be bought

from a stall the Thai side.

Then came the advent of bigger roads to Measai and Chaengsaen.,

Most of the Farang in those times were people who outstayed their welcome anywhere else in Thailand and probably still do!

Chinagmai was once a very nice place to stay but when someone pumped alot of false spondulicks into the place it killed it off.

The Roads and Infrastructure are just not adequate to deal with the now horendous Traffic Problems they have!

I would think given the Plus and Minus of either I would still go for Chiangrai.

Cool Climate, Not too long Traffic Jams, and a slower way of life but be prepared to meet former Benidorm Millionaires who had to move!

Thanks for your reply. I guess Chiang Rai is more for those who are looking for quiet and peaceful living?

Or bored silly... :)

(just kidding)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I've lived in Bangkok for the last 7 years, and recently visited CR & CM.

CR really seemed a bit in the sticks for me - nice, but would become very boring after a few days. CM was perfect; a nice (small) sized city with everything you need and very close to great countryside too.

They're very different types of places, so it depends on what type of life you prefer...

I lived in Bangkok for 135 years and Chiang Mai is a bigger city than Chiang Rai.

:)

I guess its that simple really.

harry made an interesting observation about Chiang Mai traffic being easier than Chiang Rai. Something I wasn't aware of :D

............... whats the secret Goski ? A diet of Fish high in omega 3 and drinking only Olive Oil ?

I lived in Bangkok for 135 years and Chiang Mai is a bigger city than Chiang Rai.

:)

I guess its that simple really.

harry made an interesting observation about Chiang Mai traffic being easier than Chiang Rai. Something I wasn't aware of :D

............... whats the secret Goski ? A diet of Fish high in omega 3 and drinking only Olive Oil ?

I meant because of the small streets in Chiangrai and the fairly random nature of Thai drivers anywhere driving is a very stop go experience. In CM there are some fairly defined traffic flows and once you know them it is easier to drive here. Even my girlfriend who is from CR commented on this.

I have lived in both cities .. but a number of years ago. "Better" depends on what you're after.

Chiang Mai -- More traffic, more nightlife, worse air quality year round (C'mai is in a basin), easier expat housing, 'better' shopping, big expat community. Easier retirement extension reporting.

Chiang Rai -- Tighter knit expat community (save a nutcase here and there), cheaper housing, easier access to nature. Except during the burning season .. blue skies. Except for Sanambin Rd and the central market area when schools dismiss, easier driving (IMO)**.

I would consider living in C'rai again, but not sure I could take the often hazy skies in C'mai.

Suggest you do a leisurely drive from C'mai to C'rai .. making sure to stop at the coffee and PIE place .. then reverse a week or so later.

** Do they still have the "left turn goes first" thing in C'rai?

Note: I may also be biased because I have a number of Thai friends in C'rai, which makes it seem friendlier.

Chiang Mai is a much larger city, with more choice etc. It appears to have a younger feel about it. Chiang Rai, being much smaller seems to suit an older set of farangs, or those with a more settled outlook on life.

Both are very nice, set in beautiful countryside, and very pleasant places to visit.

Personally, I would not live in either, as they are too far from the sea.

Your own upbringing, background, likes and dislikes, etc will have more bearing on the choice you make. Perhaps you should consider spending time in each city, before you decide on which one you prefer.

I think it´s better everyone think Chiang Mai is the best!

:):D:D

Yes I would have to agree Swen.Chiang rai is a very quiet town with little to do.Not many bars and what there are are more expensive than Pattaya! No girly bars! No sigposts in English etc. A very poor airport and a expat community made up of very sour old know it all English with a few cowtailed Swedes..Even the bars are not supposed to open between 2-5pm..local transport is very poor and expensive (song tels, Baht bus for you Pattaya peps)... No local culture other than pay me 300 baht and and I will let you see my neck rings...Yes stay in Phuket, pattaya or Chiang Rai and you will be busy happy and not here!!!! You have been warned!

I prefer Phayao

I liked Chiang Mai when I was there but mostly for things like the movies and shopping and we loved to go to the night market to watch the tourists. I also liked to just stroll around Chiang Mai it was easy to just hike across town. Chiang Rai has less of both and no English movies. I found Chiang Mai easy to figure out but Chiang Rai was a bewildering array of small streets seemingly running in any direction and I was always lost. Having said that whenever i was driving around with my Brother in Law he just zipped here and there and we never had a traffic problem. Possibly it's just knowing your way around.

Edited by lukamar

• 2 weeks later...

I have to throw in my two Baht on this one. I lived in Chiang Mai for two years, loved most of it. Great restaurants, with lots of "promotions." It seems to be a factory that produces beautiful women. I met more great looking Uni girls on the yellow taxi than I did in four years at large state university in Virginia. It really only takes one (or two), anyway. Soi Dogs and drivers not yielding to pedestrians (in the zebra crossings) bothered me, as well as the air quality issues. Medical/dental care is excellent, and very good shopping too.

I have been through CNR many 20 times (visa runs, etc..). I didn't find the restaurants to be as good as CNX, but I'm sure if I was a local, I could get it all figured out. There are many more ethnic Chinese in CNR.

I actually just sold my home in Las Vegas, today, and I'm mapping out a plan for a return to Thailand (for 6 months or so).

I have also considered Isaan, but I am already familiar with CNR. The lack of farang posing as English Teachers (no money, drinking problems, etc.) in CNR would be an attraction for me. I think there are way too many of these types in CNX, giving other farang a bad name.

After my attorney sold the house I lent her money to buy last year; I rented inside the moat for 2500 thb per month, including utilities and my GF was welcome. The Angel guest house was super convenient, but I have about decided that I do not want to get chased by a dog, every time I get on my bicycle. Not too keen on rats the size of Dachshunds, either.

It seemed that someone was getting punched in the nose about every time I went to Club Spicy, and the men weren't behaving much better.

Clean and quiet(and cheap) will do me just fine. That cooler climate will be good for the electric bill. I will definitley visit CNX, but I'm about ready to find a place in CNR.

Soi Dogs and drivers not yielding to pedestrians (in the zebra crossings) bothered me, as well as the air quality issues.

If you check the Thai govt website, you will see that the air is actually better in CM. Well, not better, but less polluted.

but I have about decided that I do not want to get chased by a dog, every time I get on my bicycle. Not too keen on rats the size of Dachshunds, either.

They got rid of all the dogs and rats in CR? How did they do that?

It seemed that someone was getting punched in the nose about every time I went to Club Spicy, and the men weren't behaving much better.

If you didn't go looking for trouble in CM, you wouldn't find it.