Thai Citizenship For Child Born In Thailand

I'm sorry, I just found out that my parents actually did have premanent residency when they gave me birth. But not when my sister was born (who also has a Thai ID card). I do have some friends whose parents are Japanese or Japanese - Taiwanese and holding Thai citizenships. Some of their parents are premanent residents of Thailand but not sure all of their parents had premanent residency at the time of my friends' birth.

I have been told from various sources all it takes is for a child to be born on Thai soil, no other conditions. Only exception is when a parent/s is in Thailand on diplomatic mission (including U.N. and other int'l organizations). I'm not sure if that is still the case now.

Does anybody have experience?

My pregnant wife and I (none of us has a Thai passport) are planning to deliver the baby in Thailand. Can the baby have a Thai passport?

I can tell you this much. 

I was born in Thailand to Japanese parents and I do have both Japanese and Thai citizenship today (that is, I do have a valid Japanese passport and Thai citizen ID card).  Well, I was born in 1966 though.  And I don't know if and how the law back then is any different from today. 

My parents do have permanent residency today, but I doubt if they did back then.  I don't think they lived in Thailand long enough to be eligible for it when they gave me birth. 

I do know neither Japan nor Thailand allows dual citizenships.  But I travel to Japan every year with my Japanese passport and in Thailand I can and actually did go voting this February for election, bought a condominium without Thor Thor 3, and have even received medicare care at a state hospital here using Batr Thong (gold card under B30 medical scheme). 

Thanks a lot for your posting, Nordlys :o . I mainly asked for advice because I was hoping that people would have own experience, like you do. Of course, this was a few years back, and it might well be that the law has been changed. Anyhow, your posting was one of the few encouraging and serious one here.

Some people here in this forum have agreed that it should be possible (see postings 6,10,12), others who claim they know Thai and have read through the laws insist that it is impossible. Again others try to discourage me by unqualified comments (e.g. Mr. John Sriracha) which I think is not very nice. I don't intend to live in Thailand for a longer period of time (neither I want to act illegally or contravene the spirit of Thai immigration law) like some of them do.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how simple is simple. A 30 day arrival permit ?

Righty. :o

Why not apply in China Ronny ? That is where you are presently ensconsed.

hahaha.... busted again.

Reminds of California's law: "3 strikes and you're out". Commit 3 trolls... errr I mean felonies, hahaha... and you get a lifetime ban.... errr... I mean a life sentence in prison.

how simple is simple. A 30 day arrival permit ?

Righty. :o

Why not apply in China Ronny ? That is where you are presently ensconsed.

hahaha.... busted again.

Reminds of California's law: "3 strikes and you're out". Commit 3 trolls... errr I mean felonies, hahaha... and you get a lifetime ban.... errr... I mean a life sentence in prison.

He has had his fun. I recommend that he pursues it further at Trolldovia dotcom