ติงต๊อง Ting Tong

Eastender

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is quite rude though not to be used in a formal or polite setting. Bar girl speak...forget it and learn decent Thai. You will gain a lot more respect

Bah is another word for crazy that can be misused. When I first learned the word, I though saying "koon kon bah" was a playful way to say 'you are nuts'. It came across as me saying "You are a friggn idiot" :o ... the perils of learning a new language.

Ting tong means crazy nit noi (little bit) according to my lady

call someone bah will get you in trouble that means you are crazy in a derogatory sense

dop salop salai a fav amongst pattaya sexpats and pidgin thai experts.

Better Sawao for now

it is quite rude though not to be used in a formal or polite setting. Bar girl speak...forget it and learn decent Thai. You will gain a lot more respect

Bah is another word for crazy that can be misused. When I first learned the word, I though saying "koon kon bah" was a playful way to say 'you are nuts'. It came across as me saying "You are a friggn idiot" :o ... the perils of learning a new language.

Have to agree with those who advise against using it. I haven't heard it since I was a tourist and still frequenting THAT scene. I asked my guy about it once, and he laughed and said that real Thais don't really say it.

"Steven"

Edited by Ijustwannateach

Wife uses that expression all the time and usually in response to a question that i have raised which she considers undermines ever so slightly anything that might be critical to her understanding of any so called "western concepts."

ie...me....Do you know the difference between a deposit a/c,a standing order and direct debit arrangement.?....

Answer ..Am Accounts (accountant) You tink me ting tong or sum-fink...

...all in good humour but at least we know each other.

I would suggest however that with a stranger (Thai) leave it out and be more constructive. :o

omg, I thought "Ting Tong" was cute. My friend said my Thai sounds Ting Tong. What does that mean? :o

"Ting tong", a slang, can be referred to as a positive or negative state of mind. It depends on the situation and the details involved.

It is like you use the word "crazy" in your english under different situations.

Bah is another word for crazy that can be misused. When I first learned the word, I though saying "koon kon bah" was a playful way to say 'you are nuts'. It came across as me saying "You are a friggn idiot"  ... the perils of learning a new language.

It doesn't always mean "you are a <deleted> idiot".

I use it quite often in a playful way to friends.

Then again , maybe I am "ba".

Reminds me of a great song, "mai pen khon mai dee pom pen khon ba" by Carabao. :o

Dop so lop so lai...is another I cringingly hear all too often

How do you write that in Thai and what does it mean?

cheers

ding dong I think would be written as ติงตีอง dop slop slai would be ตบสลบสลัย

I don't think ding dong is only bargirl talk, you often hear it used by teenagers and young adults from various walks of life.

bannork.

cheers

ding dong I think would be written as ติงตีอง dop slop slai would be ตบสลบสลัย

I don't think ding dong is only bargirl talk, you often hear it used by teenagers and young adults from various walks of life.

bannork.

apologies for the incorrect spelling of dop slop slai, it should be ตบสลบไสล

bannork

The word "ติงต๊อง" doesn't have to be rude all the time. Lots of times Thai people just say it in order to tease their friends. For example, suppose that a father wants to play with his 2 years old child so he pretends to be a dog and makes a sound like a dog, his friend who visits him sees what he does (which is very funny) may laugh and may say "ting tong jing jing leoy". :D It's not rude at all in this case. However, it can be rude too. For example, if you are waiting for a bus. When the bus arrives you are about to get on but suddenly somebody jumps and hits you. If you are very angry and shout "ai ting tong" :o Well, in this case it's rude.

Edited by KatieCat

cheers

It means "I will give you a smack round the head"

I thought it meant hit you so you fall down and sleep.

It is not polite - which is the problem I have. I have learn't some terrible Thai and it is very rude.

I thought it was OK until recently to say "Tee-Son-teen" to a man and "ee-son-teen" to a lady - mostly just fun...... Not at all, something you should never really say.

So I am trying to re-learn into "Polite Thai"

• 1 year later...

How about "loytoy"

I was always told it was a derogatory term for someone who either didn't forfill their promises, or tried to make themselves appear better than they actually were

I was told similar or could also mean idiot! :o

So what are you trying to tell me?

How about "loytoy"

I was always told it was a derogatory term for someone who either didn't forfill their promises, or tried to make themselves appear better than they actually were

I was told similar or could also mean idiot! :D

So what are you trying to tell me?

:o