Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

" As tourism to Thailand grows in leaps and bounds, do tourists need to take lessons in the art of being good guests?

Noel Kelly, head of the Koh Samui Tourist Police Volunteers' Group on Thailand’s Koh Samui Island, has a unique view into the current state of tourism on the island. “Petty theft is a major problem”, he says. “We work with the Tourist Police to provide assistance in these and other cases. The role of the Tourist Police is not to police the tourists, but to act as a cultural bridge.”

"...cultural bridge...." ? :)

Thailand, from the Police top in BKK, way down to the streets in Bangkok, Pattaya or Patong and Chaweng beach, has to organize it's own police force, including education and language skills. They have a "mere" 14 million tourists of which more than 60% is from East or South Est Asian tourism and not Farang.

France has 80 million tourists a year and Spain some 60 million, Italy 43 million, Turkey 25 million and ALL countries have languages very few tourists speak and I've never seen foreign tourist police volunteers.

In many seaside villages and towns around the Mediterranean, thousands of youngsters, drunk as he_ll and on a daily basis (!), are being controlled by French, Spanish, Italian and Turkish police forces and believe me, they know how to handle the situation and drunk and/or nasty tourists...!

The youngsters themselves spoke out on a television documentary that they KNOW they can't fool with the local police forces because they're locked up for 24 or 48 hours and believe me, they don't want to spend a single hour in the joint; they want to enjoy themselves but within borders so they watch out and they certainly wouldn't want to be "controlled" by police volunteers from foreign countries, whether their own or other EU countries!

So why can't Thailand handle it themselves and need foreign police volunteers ?

The Thai Government, TAT and Police should organize it's own inbound stream of tourists and educate their own police forces!!

But, they're not even able to control a few drunks or nasty tourists and "need" foreign volunteers... :D

Look at this and tell me which countries have "Tourist -foreign- police volunteers":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism#Most_visited_countries

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect people who use their free time to volunteer for any good reason. Most expats are just too lazy (as myself) or too busy chasing women, drinking and complaining all over internet.

Most people just not care. So we should give the volunteers a little slack, when they mess up. After all, they do this for free.

But - too many incidents in Pattaya have brought the volunteers in a very bad light last 12 months, too many to mention.

And when they also work undercover to "get" other foreigners and close popular places - its asking for more bashing from the expats.

Their uniform upset alot of people. Should not be so difficult for Howard to bring this up to his commanding officer in the Royal Thai Police.

Volunteers clearly look like a SAS group, and that should be avoided.

After all - you volunteers know what make other expat angry No1 (your uniform) - so do something about it!

Then No2 is too many incidents - you are Volunteers/translaters!

Wanna be "real Police"? Get a Thai citizenship and apply.

The problem is that what started out as a good idea -- "volunteer translater group" -- now has gone way to far.

(please keep your post civil, so this topic can continue)

BTW it is "som nam na" :) and considered very rude to say among Thais !

The Thai Government, TAT and Police should organize it's own inbound stream of tourists and educate their own police forces!!

But, they're not even able to control a few drunks or nasty tourists and "need" foreign volunteers...

[\quote]

LaoPo, some good comments from you, but you probably already know the answer to the questions you ask... corruption, laziness, greed and incompetence seems to be the order of the day for many in the Thai police. Hardly surprising when you consider the low salary that is on offer. The attraction of enticing additional funds from both Thai and foreigners is - I imagine - difficult to resist :)

That makes the task of looking after foreign tourists (it's mainly tourists who request police assistance, not expats), even more difficult for the honest Thai cops. Hence one reason why foreign volunteers were invited to assist.

Of course, foreigners are not immune to the same vices. Put an idiot in a uniform and he/she is still an idiot. My personal view on the foreign volunteer police, (and I have worked for both BKK and Phuket police), is that too many sub-standard foreign volunteers are accepted for this work. By sub-standard, I mean those persons who are unable to perform their police duties in a professional, honest and polite manner, regardless of the insults and accusations that may be flung at them.

A police volunteer who is unable to keep his/her cool when insulted or sworn etc should not - in my personal opinion - be a police volunteer.

(But this volunteer job need not be 100% serious! - Have fun, be professional, and try to help the tourist or expat, regardless of the problem, and regardless of your own personal opinion of the person or problem).

Simon

I think the point, Udon, though I'm sure you really did understand it the first time, is that by all reports, the Tourist Police in BKK pretty much only speak THAI...and not English or any other foreign languages. I'm not talking about any volunteers there may be... I'm talking about the Thai Tourist police themselves in BKK.

And frankly, in BKK, I've never seen nor heard of any volunteer farang patrol folks similar to those that exist in Pattaya and Phuket, I gather. So if you're a farang and run into the BIB in BKK, I think you're pretty much on your own... I've never heard any different for BKK...

If I'm wrong about that, please correct me... But when you're already dealing with Thai only speaking police, it doesn't help much to put out a call to Thai only speaking Tourist Police.

"At least in Bangkok, how can the Thai Tourist Police play any useful role if for the most part, as generally reported here, their officers don't speak much/any English?"

I thought that people from all over the world came to Bangkok.....do they all speak English?

I think that recruiting volunteers from the west to help the tourist Police in Thailand is a sound idea, providing that the recruits are honest.

But some people who get into a uniform seam to go through a sort of metamorphous and abuse their power.

Yes, exactly. There are some very likeable, genial fellows I've seen wearing the tourist police volunteer uniform. Unfortunately,

a lot of "bully-personalities" also seem to be attracted to this endeavor and they forget they are there as a courtesy to assist

and try and be of service. Vetting-out these types who don't seem to have the correct pyschological make-up is the 1st thing

they need to do. There was a story in the news not long ago of one of these guys actually using pepper-spray on a Thai. This

is not their place? They are not police officers and so many of them forget that when the put-on the uniform? There are not

there to be laying hands on anybody? This confusion over their role (by the volunteers) is what makes people uncomfortable.

I think that recruiting volunteers from the west to help the tourist Police in Thailand is a sound idea, providing that the recruits are honest.

But some people who get into a uniform seam to go through a sort of metamorphous and abuse their power.

Why ? :D

Here's a list with the world's 50 most visited tourist attractions in 2007, varying from 35 million to 2,4 million tourists per year...and Thailand isn't even on that list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism#Most_...ted_attractions

Name me one single country in the entire world (or even on a smaller scale: Asia) which has (also) -foreign- Police volunteers to control tourists.... :)

Are they in Indonesia....Malaysia....Singapore...Philippines.....China....Vietnam....Hong Kong.....you want me to go on ?

It's absolute nonsense and silly to have foreign police volunteers.

It's the lazy, corrupt and in-adequate police force itself (like member Simon described), who found it a good idea to have foreign police volunteers.

How idiot, stupid and silly.

This country, which can be soooo Farang unfriendly, agrees with -foreign- police volunteers...to control and check upon tourists and who dress in black uniforms with handcuffs and a Truncheon......acting as a cultural bridge.... :D .....yeah right.

I don't know about other members but I would be scared of a couple of Farang, dressed up in black uniforms in a holiday destination, accompanied by a truncheon and handcuffs.

Black uniforms have a VERY nasty taste, still... 60 years after WWII ended and the nowadays youngsters know this!

If any country around the Mediterranean would dress up foreign police volunteers in black uniforms I guarantee a disaster and enormous fights between hundreds of youngsters and these "volunteers".

They would be off the streets in no-time.

It's utter nonsense and asking for trouble.

IF...just IF they are needed, dress them in friendly white suits with white caps but not BLACK !

Where in the world are black dressed police officers...? Anybody ?

This isn't a nazi country for heavens' sake :D

LaoPo

Hmm.... I knew a girl once in Pattaya Soi 6..... I'm sure she would have made the most visited tourist attractions list, if they counted those kinds of "visits".... :)

Here's a list with the world's 50 most visited tourist attractions in 2007, varying from 35 million to 2,4 million tourists per year...and Thailand isn't even on that list.

Name me one single country in the entire world (or even on a smaller scale: Asia) which has (also) -foreign- Police volunteers to control tourists.... :)

Are they in Indonesia....Malaysia....Singapore...Philippines.....China....Vietnam....Hong Kong.....you want me to go on ?

It's the lazy, corrupt and in-adequate police force itself (like member Simon described), who found it a good idea to have foreign police volunteers.

This country, which can be soooo Farang unfriendly, agrees with -foreign- police volunteers...to control and check upon tourists and who dress in black uniforms with handcuffs and a Truncheon......acting as a cultural bridge.... :D .....yeah right.

I don't know about other members but I would be scared of a couple of Farang, dressed up in black uniforms in a holiday destination, accompanied by a truncheon and handcuffs.

Black uniforms have a VERY nasty taste, still... 60 years after WWII ended and the nowadays youngsters know this!

If any country around the Mediterranean would dress up foreign police volunteers in black uniforms I guarantee a disaster and enormous fights between hundreds of youngsters and these "volunteers".

IF...just IF they are needed, dress them in friendly white suits with white caps but not BLACK !

LaoPo

I never liked the color of the uniforms..........and believe the volunteer foreign police unit should be disbanded. I think one reason they exist--at least the initial reason--was to help interpret Thai to English and English to Thai. That can be useful sometimes.......other than that, I think they should have no authority at all and certainly should not wear an official uniform and carry any police gear around with them.

LaoPo

"This isn't a nazi country for heavens' sake" :D

Never had a problem in udon Thani as a volunteer.we wore a white T-Shirt,Dark blues trousers,no cap......!!!...i think we were stirred up much more by some farang,always good fun,never a problem.

The black uniform,is not universally worn by volunteers in Thailand.

maybe the fact that there seems to be some undesirable volunteers in Pattaya,should not reflect badly on the great work that many Thai/Farang TP volunteers,undertake in Thailand.We do not just walk around bars at night.

Whether you like them or not,there here to stay.So get over it!!!!

I don't personally want the foreign Tourist Police Volunteers disbanded. I feel that they do offer a useful service, especially where there are language issues, (such as dealing with tourists who do not speak English), or where there is need for a police officer who has some understanding of the culture of the country of that visiting tourist.

But the system is also full of holes! Here are my own suggestions, (after 3 years of working as a volunteer in BKK and Phuket):

- The Thai Tourist Police is a nationwide force. There should be a common policy that governs every aspect of the volunteer's duties, from initial recruitment, probation, training, appraisal, uniform, duties, language skills, regulations, dismissal etc. It should not be down to individual police commanders or (picking my words carefully here!), foreign business owners to carve out their own 'niche' volunteer team who follow a different set of standards.

- Everything about the TPVs should be transparent and open to scrutiny by any person. The regulations that govern their powers and duties should be posted in every police station and carried on duty by every volunteer, available to show to the tourist or expat when requested

- There should be a single TPV website in legible English (and Thai), with separate sub-sections for the TPV team in each city or location. This should include photographs of all serving volunteers. If the volunteer's photo is not on that website for verification by a member of the public, then he is not a real volunteer!

- The issue regarding the legality of working as a TPV without a WP should be clarified, (yes - and pigs will fly...)

Basically, the whole system needs a complete overall. There are many dedicated and honest 'beat officers', in-office staff and supervisors working as TPVs, but these guys/women are being let down by the selfishness, laziness and incompetence of some of their fellow volunteers, foreign TPV supervisors and senior Thai officers.

Simon

No police force requires "foreign volunteers".

What is needed is a pool of competent interpreters in a number of foreign languages to assist the police

when and where they are required. They should be paid for their time. They should be accredited by a

competent authority and carry photo ID cards with their nationality. They would be available to anyone

who requires a translator for police or legal matters. The police could make their telephone numbers available.

There should also be a requirement that they register at their embassy so checks could be carried out

on them before employment. They could also be used to contact your embassy if required.

Edited by david96

"It's the lazy, corrupt and in-adequate police force itself (like member Simon described), who found it a good idea to have foreign police volunteers"

You are totally wrong.......the person who came up with the idea of TP Volunteers was Steve Graham.the owner of the Irish Clock,in Udon Thani. He used his money to set it up.

A wonderful man,whom i've met on a number of occasions.

Police Volunteer Reserve Corp (PVR) or in Malay as Kor Sukarelawan Polis is a unit in the Royal Malaysian Police,

Tourist Police was a branch of Royal Malaysian Police which gives information on law, custom [disambiguation needed] and culture attractive local community and places to dikunjung to all tourists. Tourist Police clothes was dark blue uniform with circumference hat partitioned white. Badge worn by those in left pocket also "i" written symbol which account international code which meaning is "information".

In Kuala Lumpur, have been four which team doing daily patrol to prevent any crime incident among tourists and local community shelf. Four the patrol teams was:

* walking patrol;

* motocycle patrol;

* bicycle patrol

* patrol car crew; and

* woman patrol car crew.

Seems to me that other countries are following Thailand's idea!!!!!!!

Emergency telephone number

18 | Egypt 122 123 180 | Tourist Police - 126; Traffic Police - 128 ... Brazil 190 192 193 | Federal highway police 191; federal police 194; ...

40 KB (4475 words) - 17:27, 20 August 2009

Law enforcement in Sri Lanka (section Specialized agencies of the Sri Lanka Police)

Law enforcement in Sri Lanka falls under the jurisdiction of the Sri Lanka Police ... Specialized agencies of the Sri Lanka Police : Tourist Police ...

2 KB (267 words) - 05:49, 19 July 2009

Economy of Kenya

Such steps include establishing a tourist police and launching marketing campaigns in key tourist origin markets. Tourism has seen a ...

24 KB (3627 words) - 23:21, 1 June 2009

au/news/travel/tourist-police-for-naples/2006/11/06/1162661587350. html. - 22:27, 18 August 2009

The "Policia Nacional" (National Police) and "Policia Turística" (Tourist Police) (POLITUR) are assigned for enforcing city safety. ...

38 KB (4934 words) - 01:40, 22 August 2009

When Hsu returned to Taiwan, he joined the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP). Having been elected legislator three times, Hsu is considered a privy councilor to the DPP in the field of economics.[1] He was nominated to run for the mayor of Tainan and was elected in 2001. During his terms as mayor, Hsu worked on public projects and encouraged tourism. For example, a police unit was established to facilitate tourists in 2007, and he also improved the environment of the city.

Mexico-

Torres is creating a 30-member tourist police force to be based in the offices of the city's Conventions and Tourism Committee and responsible for patrolling areas frequented by visitors. In addition, he said he is equipping 120 volunteers with radios so they can report suspicious activity in the tourist areas, and give the volunteers a non-police contact to call.

Oregon-USA

In response to new demands on police

officers and in keeping with the

philosophy of community policing,

agencies are turning to civilian volunteers

to enable officers to remain on the

front lines and working to make communities

safer. The Volunteers in Police

Service (VIPS) program provides

support and resources for law enforcement

agencies interested in developing

or enhancing a volunteer program

and for citizens who wish to volunteer

their time and skills

Volunteers

As a Volunteer for the Newport Police Department, your unique skills are rendered to assist the Department with a wide variety of duties. Participation in the Volunteer Program allows the Citizens of the Newport Community to become involved in Police Department activities and to provide assistance to Department Staff. Through these activities and assistance, Volunteers work with the Community to prevent crime, provide services and create a safer environment for the City of Newport. Volunteers are fully trained to assist the Records staff, Detectives and Sergeants with special projects.

Why should you volunteer with the Police Department?

To contribute to making your community a safer place to live

To assist in putting more officers on the street for law enforcement

To gain valuable work experience

To fulfill personal endeavors and goals

To improve job skills

To explore a new career

Most importantly, because you have the time to donate your valuable services

How will my services as a Volunteer be utilized by the Police Department?

The Department currently has various programs that utilize Volunteers. You let us know what your area of expertise is or you can attend Department training to participate in programs that require specialized skills.

Newport Police Department Volunteer Programs:

* Administrative Support Program

* Crash Scene Traffic Control

* Citizen Patrol

* Disabled Parking Enforcement Program

* Emergency Management

* Nuisance Vehicle Monitoring

* Crowd Control

* Tourist Assistance

* Fleet Assistance

* Children I.D. Kits

* Ambassadors

What are the eligibility requirements to become a Volunteer?

You must be 19 years of age or older. **Please note that several volunteer assignments require that you are 21 years of age or older.

You must pass a background check. No serious criminal convictions.

You must have a good driving record.

You must have good moral character.

* You must follow Police Department Policies and Procedures.

Australia-

* Police want volunteers to do costly surveillance

* Trial has already helped end a break-and-enter racket

* Volunteers wouldbe given binoculars, CCTV access

POLICE are seeking hundreds of volunteers to spy on crime hot spots and trawl through surveillance tapes to help catch criminals.

Each South Australian police local service area will organise and equip the volunteers to undertake the often time-consuming task of crime surveillance.

In some cases, the volunteers will use binoculars to monitor areas and pass on details of suspicious activities to police.

It follows a successful pilot project sting operation at Adelaide' s Queen Elizabeth Hospital, which involved two volunteers armed only with police binoculars, a tripod and a mobile phone.

They helped end a hospital car park break-and-enter racket.

Superintendent Linda Williams, said a statewide expansion of police volunteering would upgrade roles such as security at blue light discos and public relations.

Nepal-

Tourist Police: a special unit of the Nepal Police called Tourist Police deals with problems related tourists. One can contract the Nepal Tourism Board, Bhrikutimandap (Tel:256909) to avail the service of tourist police

USA

Anaheim Resort Ambassador Program

The Anaheim Resort Ambassador Program is comprised of volunteers on foot that patrol and assist those who visit and conduct business in the resort area. Ambassadors work in groups of two. Duties include helping tourist by providing requested information and introducing them to necessary resources, acting as a liaison between resort police officers and area hotels/businesses, act as further set of “eyes and ears” in reporting suspicious activity and problem solving opportunities to resort police officers. Stationary positions are also available at the “help desk”.

I think what many people do not agree with is that 'foreigners' are working as volunteers in the Thai TPV, as opposed to only Thai nationals. For the information that Udonfarang52 provided for TPVs in other countries, this is volunteer work for nationals of that country.

But 'foreigners' do work as volunteer police in other countries. The obvious example is in the EC, where a member of any EC country can (and do) work as police volunteers in a different EC country.

Simon

"This isn't a nazi country for heavens' sake" :)

Never had a problem in udon Thani as a volunteer.we wore a white T-Shirt,Dark blues trousers,no cap......!!!...i think we were stirred up much more by some farang,always good fun,never a problem.

The black uniform,is not universally worn by volunteers in Thailand.

maybe the fact that there seems to be some undesirable volunteers in Pattaya,should not reflect badly on the great work that many Thai/Farang TP volunteers,undertake in Thailand.We do not just walk around bars at night.

Whether you like them or not,there here to stay.So get over it!!!!

My opinion on a quick assumption of the situation is that its a good idea for farangs to be in an organised, effective and official group to help out Thai authorities who have issues with farangs. I'm sure many a farang has been grateful to see a white friendly face with a native voice to communicate in.

However the main issues on this post appear to be with the Pattaya group who according to this post are more like a militia than a volunteer help group.

Of course i have no idea as i don't know them but i think Pattaya is going to be alot more trouble than Udon on any day or night so i guess using big, bald tattood black wearing farangs is an easy option in Pattaya to help subdue any drunken/drugged situations.

I have never seen anyone in Bangors and Simon43 or the volunteers at Lumphini Police Station sound more like duty solicitors in the UK called in to help out arrested people. This is totally different to manning a road block in a military style uniform.

I prefer Simons43 version of helping out at the Police station if that is what the Bangors group do and Udons charity style work. I certainly haven't seen them at PP, Nana or soi cowboy and if they were there in a roadblock in black gear i can imagine them having a mouthful from drunken farangs..i probably would say something myself.

Volunteer help group for Police translation and charity work a great idea..Policing the streets that is a different issue altogether and of course in a classic Thai way the boundary line appears to be wobbly and moveable to suit each situation.

In essence a good idea but who is policing the MiB?

Edited by sanook2me

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office has a very active and productive Reserve Deputy program, at times, running an entire patrol squad, providing deputies much needed assistance. A Reserve Deputy must be a Florida certified law enforcement officer. A Reserve Deputy has the same “police power” as a full-time Orange County Deputy Sheriff, except they volunteer their services. Their uniforms are identical to an Orange County Deputy Sheriff and all necessary uniforms and equipment are provided.

A Reserve Deputy with an auxiliary certification has arrest powers and may act as a law enforcement officer, but only when being directly supervised by fully certified Orange County Deputy Sheriff. They must complete an “AuxiliaryAcademy,” which is approximately 109 hours. In addition, they must demonstrate proficiency in high liability areas such as defensive tactics, weapons and driving. All Reserve Deputies donate at least 20 hours of service per month and attend one monthly meeting.

http://www.ocso.com/VolunteerServices/tabid/131/Default.aspx

They have black uniforms to!!!

Bangalore : Travellers can take pictures, go on long walks and relax a bit more on holidays, for they will have the `green police' with them to keep away touts and potential muggers.

To provide more protection to tourists, Karnataka Tourism launched `green police' on Monday. This force will keep round-the-clock vigil for tourists at 30 destinations across the state.

The volunteers -- 145 of them -- were recruited on Monday. They will receive basic training in law and enforcement, including weapons training, apart from search and rescue missions.

Chief minister B S Yeddyurappa said this force will prevent crimes against international tourists and act as a liaison between them and local authorities. "Safety and security of tourists are top priority," Yeddyurappa said.

The green police is not an alternative to the existing police force. The former will be posted at key tourist destinations and volunteers will coordinate with regular police in case of complaints by tourists. However, the green police itself won't have the power or authority to take action against offenders. For this, they will have to seek help from the state police.

Edited by Udonfarang52

A profoundly sad comment,have come to expect this sought of vitriol in this forum........!!!!

Most of us volunteer out of good intentions.it certainly helped me improve my Thai language skills!!

MAYBE YOU SHOULD READ ALL THE POSTS.

Black uniforms are not worn in all the provinces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Lite Beer
Quote containing deleted post removed.

I think the suggestion below is an excellent one.... probably much more appropriate and helpful than the street patrols approach. I wish the Thai police would do something like that in all the larger tourist destinations... It's much needed....

No police force requires "foreign volunteers".

What is needed is a pool of competent interpreters in a number of foreign languages to assist the police

when and where they are required. They should be paid for their time. They should be accredited by a

competent authority and carry photo ID cards with their nationality. They would be available to anyone

who requires a translator for police or legal matters. The police could make their telephone numbers available.

There should also be a requirement that they register at their embassy so checks could be carried out

on them before employment. They could also be used to contact your embassy if required.

Howard, when can we expect the first episode to be broadcasted?

First episode is on Monday 7th September at 10pm (UK Time) on Bravo.

on Bravo? well thats at least 6 people watching.

Will be 7 including me. :)

" As tourism to Thailand grows in leaps and bounds, do tourists need to take lessons in the art of being good guests?

Noel Kelly, head of the Koh Samui Tourist Police Volunteers' Group on Thailand's Koh Samui Island, has a unique view into the current state of tourism on the island. "Petty theft is a major problem", he says. "We work with the Tourist Police to provide assistance in these and other cases. The role of the Tourist Police is not to police the tourists, but to act as a cultural bridge."

"...cultural bridge...." ? :)

Thailand, from the Police top in BKK, way down to the streets in Bangkok, Pattaya or Patong and Chaweng beach, has to organize it's own police force, including education and language skills. They have a "mere" 14 million tourists of which more than 60% is from East or South Est Asian tourism and not Farang.

France has 80 million tourists a year and Spain some 60 million, Italy 43 million, Turkey 25 million and ALL countries have languages very few tourists speak and I've never seen foreign tourist police volunteers.

In many seaside villages and towns around the Mediterranean, thousands of youngsters, drunk as he_ll and on a daily basis (!), are being controlled by French, Spanish, Italian and Turkish police forces and believe me, they know how to handle the situation and drunk and/or nasty tourists...!

The youngsters themselves spoke out on a television documentary that they KNOW they can't fool with the local police forces because they're locked up for 24 or 48 hours and believe me, they don't want to spend a single hour in the joint; they want to enjoy themselves but within borders so they watch out and they certainly wouldn't want to be "controlled" by police volunteers from foreign countries, whether their own or other EU countries!

But, they're not even able to control a few drunks or nasty tourists and "need" foreign volunteers... :D

Look at this and tell me which countries have "Tourist -foreign- police volunteers":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism#Most_visited_countries

LaoPo

Laopo, Thanks for reiterating something that I had previously said ie: Why does Thailand NEED tourist police? And, Why importantly Why do they need volunteers?????

I believe I have the answer. Thai police and governing bodies and authorities are to a great extent useless, lazy, poorly educated, smug, low class, corrupt, xenophobes.

And skinflints as well, why pay for it ,or train their officers, just get foreigners to do it.

A profoundly sad comment,have come to expect this sought of vitriol in this forum........!!!!

Most of us volunteer out of good intentions.it certainly helped me improve my Thai language skills!!

Having read all your comments on this issue and the apparant anger/arrogance issues you appear to have, if this is indicative of the sort of people who volunteer, then I for one would stay well clear of volunteering for this body, as other posters have suggested this body seems to attract, renta-cop, rambo-type people with control issues....... :)

Edited by Soutpeel

I think what many people do not agree with is that 'foreigners' are working as volunteers in the Thai TPV, as opposed to only Thai nationals. For the information that Udonfarang52 provided for TPVs in other countries, this is volunteer work for nationals of that country.

But 'foreigners' do work as volunteer police in other countries. The obvious example is in the EC, where a member of any EC country can (and do) work as police volunteers in a different EC country.

Simon

Exactly Simon.

It's about Expat-"Farang foreigners" acting as police volunteers in an Asian country: Thailand; I oppose that, as there is NO other example in Asia or the rest of the world where there are "expats", (living in that guest-country) acting as (Farang) police volunteers; it's plain stupid and silly.

I have NO OBJECTION whatsoever if there are Thai Police volunteers, with whatever powers, to help and assist tourists and the Thai police forces.

And, about foreigners working as police volunteers in other EU/EC (that's what you meant, right?) countries; as far as I know those are "working" there only as trainees or in situations as with European Champions matches in football and/or other sports to assist the country Police forces in languages and pointing at possible hooligans .

But there are NO police volunteers patrolling (like in Thailand) in touristic areas in Europe, coming from other European countries and certainly not from Asia, nor the USA or OZ/NZ.... :D

And, to Udongfarang52: why do you send us a website from the Orange County police volunteers....? :D do they have FOREIGN police volunteers in Orange County? Do you tell me that the US or FLORIDA would accept FOREIGN police volunteers....maybe from Columbia, South Africa, Thailand maybe..Cuba perhaps ?

Does Orlando/Kissimee county have FOREIGN Police Volunteers around Disney World ? :) Do your Orange County Police Volunteers speak foreign languages (other than a few Spanish speaking volunteers ?)...French, German, Italian, Dutch, Russian ?

So: why do you find it normal that you, as a US citizen, can act as a -FOREIGN- police volunteer in Thailand ?

And why do you act so irritated ? Maybe you're not so qualified to act as a Foreign Police volunteer after all if you act so irritated if people disagree with you.....? :D

LaoPo

Simon

Exactly Simon.

It's about Expat-"Farang foreigners" acting as police volunteers in an Asian country: Thailand; I oppose that, as there is NO other example in Asia or the rest of the world where there are "expats", (living in that guest-country) acting as (Farang) police volunteers; it's plain stupid and silly.

I have NO OBJECTION whatsoever if there are Thai Police volunteers, with whatever powers, to help and assist tourists and the Thai police forces.

And, about foreigners working as police volunteers in other EU/EC (that's what you meant, right?) countries; as far as I know those are "working" there only as trainees or in situations as with European Champions matches in football and/or other sports to assist the country Police forces in languages and pointing at possible hooligans .

But there are NO police volunteers patrolling (like in Thailand) in touristic areas in Europe, coming from other European countries and certainly not from Asia, nor the USA or OZ/NZ.... :D

And, to Udongfarang52: why do you send us a website from the Orange County police volunteers....? :D do they have FOREIGN police volunteers in Orange County? Do you tell me that the US or FLORIDA would accept FOREIGN police volunteers....maybe from Columbia, South Africa, Thailand maybe..Cuba perhaps ?

Does Orlando/Kissimee county have FOREIGN Police Volunteers around Disney World ? :) Do your Orange County Police Volunteers speak foreign languages (other than a few Spanish speaking volunteers ?)...French, German, Italian, Dutch, Russian ?

So: why do you find it normal that you, as a US citizen, can act as a -FOREIGN- police volunteer in Thailand ?

And why do you act so irritated ? Maybe you're not so qualified to act as a Foreign Police volunteer after all if you act so irritated if people disagree with you.....? :D

LaoPo

:D

And, to Udongfarang52: why do you send us a website from the Orange County police volunteers....? blink.gif do they have FOREIGN police volunteers in Orange County? Do you tell me that the US or FLORIDA would accept FOREIGN police volunteers....maybe from Columbia, South Africa, Thailand maybe..Cuba perhaps ?"

Once again from "Laopo". :) who seems to have an agenda to push in this forum.

Question Laopo,"How many languages are spoken by T.P volunteers in Thailand?.

"What are the nationalities of T.P volunteers in Thailand

Why were South Korean and Japanese Volunteers,sought in Chang Mai"?

You also stated that i was an American,how do you know that??????

10928 posts on this forum "Laopo".............a tad self opinionated!!!!

Edited by Udonfarang52

Having read all your comments on this issue and the apparant anger/arrogance issues you appear to have, if this is indicative of the sort of people who volunteer, then I for one would stay well clear of volunteering for this body, as other posters have suggested this body seems to attract, renta-cop, rambo-type people with control issues....... :D

I have to admit, this is how I felt as I read this thread also. :)

:D

Having read all your comments on this issue and the apparant anger/arrogance issues you appear to have, if this is indicative of the sort of people who volunteer, then I for one would stay well clear of volunteering for this body, as other posters have suggested this body seems to attract, renta-cop, rambo-type people with control issues....... :D

I have to admit, this is how I felt as I read this thread also. :)

AND ME

Simon

Exactly Simon.

LaoPo

QUOTE Uniforms - believe he stated those were chosen by the Thai Tourist Police, not the foreign staff.

That would indicate the matter is dealt with on a national level, but it's not as far as I understand. Each city with them have their own rules, their own uniforms, utility belt items, etc. Each one is its own entity. It would account for why they all have different functions and duties, such as for Pattaya, they do the things quoted in the news above, but I'm not sure if that occurs in other locations or not.

As has been staed "Laopo"........uniforms differ from province to province,has that not sunk in yet??????....."why is that you seem to be so fixated on "black uniforms,handcuffs and truncheons??.........I have my concerns!!! :D

Having read all your comments on this issue and the apparant anger/arrogance issues you appear to have, if this is indicative of the sort of people who volunteer, then I for one would stay well clear of volunteering for this body, as other posters have suggested this body seems to attract, renta-cop, rambo-type people with control issues....... :)

Ever thought of getting some help your self...????

I have absolutely no anger at all.........your assertions are childish and inane.........Never misconstrue confidence with arrogance.

You through these words around,attacking the person.Not the issue..........Someone else with a personal agenda.

How would you know,the people who volunteer........"what is indicative of these sought of people" mean?.........how many volunteers have you met,both Thai and Farang????

Could you please let me know where you graduated in Psychology...........?????

I served in Vietnam,Then,i was a timid kid from the suburbs,scared shitless at the thought of being sent off to this conflict..........!!!!

No "laopo"......I am nor have i ever been the "Rambo type".........5 years of nursing............did not see much action!!!!!