Farang Assaulted By Gang

whopper

There's a sticky-fingered bag snatcher around as well. I know 2 young farang women who had their bags snatched from the baskets of their honda dreams. One at worowot market and one at Wat Doi Suthep.

Certainly more than one... Snatching from bike baskets has been a problem here for a long time, with most cases going unreported...

Here's one to add to the collection. On February 28th of this year (the day before I was going back to America) I was assaulted by two men who bashed my head open and tossed me in the klong. I recieved 16 stitches above my eye and almost drowned.(can check with Chiang Mai Ram) I believe this was a vendetta over my landlords loosing face to me over stuff he stole out of my condo. I don't feel safe anymore in Chiang Mai but still have a condo there. You said you wanted to know about things like this so here it is in black and white.

What happened at the condo to warrant this?

Here's one to add to the collection. On February 28th of this year (the day before I was going back to America) I was assaulted by two men who bashed my head open and tossed me in the klong. I recieved 16 stitches above my eye and almost drowned.(can check with Chiang Mai Ram) I believe this was a vendetta over my landlords loosing face to me over stuff he stole out of my condo. I don't feel safe anymore in Chiang Mai but still have a condo there. You said you wanted to know about things like this so here it is in black and white.

So we gotta contact the Chang Mai Ram Hospital and ask if a certain Mr.Popeythesailorman received treatment there on 28th February right?

Yes, but no need to add "the" :o

:D

There's a sticky-fingered bag snatcher around as well. I know 2 young farang women who had their bags snatched from the baskets of their honda dreams. One at worowot market and one at Wat Doi Suthep.

Certainly more than one... Snatching from bike baskets has been a problem here for a long time, with most cases going unreported...

long story but to make short, stoled my tv, stereo, playstation, dvd player etc...caught red handed but I handled with krang jai but I guess not good enough.

long story but to make short, stoled my tv, stereo, playstation, dvd player etc...caught red handed but I handled with krang jai but I guess not good enough.

may have been better if you called the old bill.Personally I would find it hard to any amount of kreng jai if I saw this happening myself. I may have stolen a couple of his teeth.... :o

may have been better if you called the old bill.Personally I would find it hard to any amount of kreng jai if I saw this happening myself. I may have stolen a couple of his teeth.... :o

Yes, I think you are correct but I almost wound up dead. I'm still recovering from the head wounds and next time I will do better. "Tony T" ?

Is Chiang Mai starting to suffer from Pattaya-itis??? :o

Yes - Been heading that way for some years now.

Be careful, steer clear of known trouble areas and don't act like a smartarse, you will generally be okay though.

What do you consider to be the "known trouble areas"?? (I dont count stumbling drunk down a dark Soi at 2 a.m.,that could be trouble all the time!) Ive never had any trouble anywhere in CMai in over 16 years of extended visits,but now will be living there as of next month.I also know for a fact that at least sometimes farangs can invite trouble to be thrust upon them...

But then again simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time is always a possibility.....

What's that with "Pattayaitis" - I've lived here for years, never heard of any gang-related crime against farangs here. There's a bit of trouble between groups of young thais but I've never heard it spill into the farang comunity. There's the odd bag-snatching etc, but not more so here than anywhere else in Thailand. Burglaries are probably the biggest problem and even that, I suppose, isn't worse than so many other places in Thailand.

Funny like those not living in Pattaya always seems to know everyting about what goes on here.

Is Chiang Mai starting to suffer from Pattaya-itis??? :o

Yes - Been heading that way for some years now.

Be careful, steer clear of known trouble areas and don't act like a smartarse, you will generally be okay though.

What do you consider to be the "known trouble areas"?? (I dont count stumbling drunk down a dark Soi at 2 a.m.,that could be trouble all the time!) Ive never had any trouble anywhere in CMai in over 16 years of extended visits,but now will be living there as of next month.I also know for a fact that at least sometimes farangs can invite trouble to be thrust upon them...

But then again simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time is always a possibility.....

I think it's the latter that seems to worry people.... as it seems to be increasingly possible to be at that aforementioned wrong place/wrong time without any preciptious untoward action on the sufferer's part.

The former portion of your answer is a given and to be expected...

What's that with "Pattayaitis" - I've lived here for years, never heard of any gang-related crime against farangs here. There's a bit of trouble between groups of young thais but I've never heard it spill into the farang comunity. There's the odd bag-snatching etc, but not more so here than anywhere else in Thailand. Burglaries are probably the biggest problem and even that, I suppose, isn't worse than so many other places in Thailand.

Funny like those not living in Pattaya always seems to know everyting about what goes on here.

Hence asking it of the people who live there the question. It is in reference to the increasing crime, not only gang-related, occuring in Pattaya and apparently to some degree in Chiang Mai.

Well I have been here for almost two years.I have wondered around in some terrible states too...probably why I don't drink too much these days.

I have been helped into taxis :o on numerous occasians by locals,picked up and taken to a Hospital after a wee motorbike accident etc.

I have never felt "unsafe", but I would not rule out the possibility of trouble in any country.

List of things that have been stolen from me (that I can remember):

Numerous T-shirts (actually alot of clothes just disapear at the laundry for some reason, especially while they are still new...)

3 gameboys

GameCube and games

Money (too many times to count)

Some shit-head just stole 2 pairs of shoes from in front of my door last night!!!

Im really getting pissed off over the whole thing. I know I have to be more careful but I dont like the feeling of living like I am being help prisoner by thai thieves. I have rarely had anything stolen from me while in America and this just makes me sad...

The GF says that it is a thai gang who specialize in stealing clothes and shoes from Condos/Dorm/Apartments and selling it to 2nd hand shops. I hope the 100Baht is worth getting smacked in the head with a bat if I ever cath one.

Edited by Mr.StickyRice