Options For Connecting Dvd Player To Television

wpcoe

Since I'm suddenly in the market for a new TV, I'm wondering if I should upgrade my DVD player. It's four years old and currently is connected to my (now defunct) TV via a "YCbCr" connection.

I see TV specs offering a YPbPr component connection. Is that the same as/would that work with my current DVD player with YCbCr component connection?

One Samsung TV at Tesco comes with a free DVD player thrown in, but the only video output jack is what they call "Coaxial digital" -- a single jack for video. Would that be a lower quality signal/connection that the YCbCr/YPbPr connection?

There's nothing wrong with my current DVD player, but I'm not sure if it would connect with a newer TV given the output jacks it has. Would I be better off looking for a DVD player with HDMI? Would HDMI be a better way to connect?

I saw an encouraging sign today on a Sony TV at Power Buy: the component jacks were labeled "Y, Pb/Cb and Pr/Cr."

Would that be the case on all TVs, or is it something unique to that particular model?

[edited to correct significant typo...]

Edited by wpcoe

HDMI is the way of the future.

Component video only works for DVD's, not TV signals, if I remember rightly.

I did play around with it a while back and ended up back on the composite signal

Just about all modern TV's will have inputs for Component "Y, Pb/Cb and Pr/Cr."

The Coaxial digital is a sound output (SpDif), not video - There will be other video outputs on that free dvd player.

HDMI is the way of the future.

Component video only works for DVD's, not TV signals, if I remember rightly.

I did play around with it a while back and ended up back on the composite signal

Component video is just the transmission method, no reason it wont work on a TV source.

The UBC boxes I have seen didnt come with component, dreamboxes I use can use a hack and a SCART to component converter.