Stream Music From Pc To The Garden

quiksilva

I am looking into ways to listen to my music collection (stored on my PC) outdoors.

I have streaming software (Orb, Winamp Remote and Tversity are all good and free), which I use to stream to my hard-wired 360 downstairs, and these programs will also stream via the internet, and via wireless. I would like to take advantage of that capability, so I am looking for a gadget that can be installed on my verandah that will allow me to select tracks from the PC and play the music to outdoor speakers.

But I have not been able to find such a device that is also suitable for the outdoors.

I have also been thinking about getting an ipod dock built into barbeque area and handling it that way, but prefer to stream from the PC, if possible.

I would not describe myself as an audiophile, so super high quality is not needed, but I am looking for good value for money. Its just for for some background music, whilst entertaining / reading in the garden so shouldn't be too loud or too expensive.

Any ideas?

Lots of things that may be able to help you, Squeezebox, Sonos etc... it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Do you need something with a built in amplifier/speakers? If so Logitech offer a boombox like device.

• 1 month later...

do a google search for "Music Server"

It's not difficult to make your PC a music server .....

If speakers are in the garden, you need a way to transmit (wireless) to the speakers ... and there are also several solutions to this.

for related google searches try:-

Apple Airport Express Music Server

Olive Music Server

• 1 month later...

I got a bluetooth stereo headset which has a 3.5 phono jack on it, same as Ipod etc, from that I used a 3.5 to two RCA plugs (red/white) and connect direct to an amp that way, the headset has volume and track skip controls. Also works whilst being charged. Cost about 1200 baht. From my desktop with a decent USB BT dongle (900-1000 baht) gives a renge of about 50 metres. Plenty for me anyways.

Can't remember brands, can check when I get home if anyone interested.