Over 9.5 Million Suffer As Drought Spreads

george

Over 9.5 million suffer as drought spreads to 66 provinces

BANGKOK: -- The nation is now firmly gripped by one of the worst droughts in decades, with official figures released today by the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation showing that over 9.56 million people in 66 provinces are now affected by the weather conditions.

The drought has also caused damage to over 13.7 million rai of agricultural land, leading to economic losses of over Bt5.5 billion.

The department is now scrambling to provide water to those affected, and is pushing provincial authorities into making urgent payouts to assist suffering farmers and villagers.

The drought is expected to worsen over the coming three months, with 70 provinces out of the nation's 76 likely to be suffering drought conditions by May.

Of these, 10 provinces, including Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Sawan, Buriram, Surin, Si Sa Ket, Ubon Ratchathani, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Mahasarakham and Roi Et, are suffering from severe drought, 23 from medium level drought, and 37 from minor drought.

Ten drought-stricken districts of Chiang Mai declared disaster Zone

CHIANG MAI: -- The province of Chiang Mai has declared ten drought-stricken districts “disaster zone,” warranting urgent help.

According to Mrs. Patrawan Sadudee, Chief of the Chiang Mai Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office, the drought in these areas are affecting nearly 80,000 people in 17,674 households who are mostly farmers. These ten districts are Hot, Chom thong, Mae-On, Om-koi, Doi Lor, Samoeng, Doi-saket, Mae-Ai,Mae Chaem and Mae Rim.

The dry season which started since late last year has depleted the areas of water supply, and most heavily affected are rice farms along with longan, orange and maize plantations. Mrs Patrawan said the provincial authorities have allocated one million baht each in emergency relief for the districts of Prao and Doi-saked.

The government has set aside a fund of 50 million to each province to assist

farmers.

--TNA 2005-03-11

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember they were predicting this as long ago as the premature end of the rainy season late last year... don't suppose that really helped anyone prepare anything, though. If this is going to affect us until May, it could get really serious. Anybody think unit prices for water will go up as a result?

"Steven"

WAKE UP CALL!

Not a good report I am afraid but what can you expect from what is happening in the last 30 years here in Thailand?

From my many years of observations here in Thailand, Thais generally know nothing about sustainable farming, soil and water conservation.

They burn nearly all organic material and most of their plastic as well.

I have asked many if they also burn their money in their bank account, wanting to stress the absolutely vital importance of the “organic cycling of nutrients” that they religiously continue to burn and waste year after year on the same piece of land, over and over.

If you think about it carefully you will see the insanity behind it.

In fact they actually are not farming at all, those “in the know” (I am afraid most readers of this web site are clueless as well, not just the Thais mind you) call this “mining”.

The farmers here are literally mining the soils and depleting them till nothing will grow, as in the large deserts which cover many areas of the world now and are growing at alarming speed.

Thais now are very heavy into chemical fertilizer and poisons which they liberally put on most of their lands.

Most of the leadership here in Thailand including the PM is clueless as well.

I am sure the chemical companies interest are wrapped tightly in the political powers that be and have no interests or ethical leadership principles to lead the uneducated masses out of this chemical quagmire they will find themselves in if they ever wake up that is.

You can’t keep doing this terrible thing forever. There will come a time when you must “pay the bill”.

But I am afraid this bill has accrued a lot of unpaid interest as well!

The rice farming particularly and now the corn farming techniques that they use here are creating a desert where once tropical paradise was enjoyed for eons.

The Thai people better wake up really fast or they will destroy the land possibly forever and loose this great country.

The King here actually has it right on this account (he is big time organic farming and permaculture supporter) but who is listening?

In reality almost no one it appears to me.

The Thais really think they know a lot (very proud about it too) but so far I have yet to meet but only a tiny few (can count on one hand easy) that have a clue what is gong on here environmentally speaking.

They have a new technology (chemical and mechanical farming) that will ruin them, as they absolutely don’t know what they are doing.

There are some Farangs and a handful of Thais here in Thailand and of coarse abroad who could offer important helpful solutions for the immediate and imminent environmental disasters which the country and the whole area is heading towards quickly.

The tsunami that just hit recently is nothing I am afraid compared to the man made environmental disaster which is here now and will continue to decimate large areas of this country in the next 1-15 years.

Anyone listening out there?

There are solutions!

Check out “Permaculture” that would be a great start for anyone with even half a brain.

I too am available if there is any interest too.

PM me and lets save Thailand before there is no Thailand left to save!

Edited by ayakiawe

To me it’s interesting all the energy and comments (now more than 10 pages or so) from all the super important “Farang Thai Sex Experts” on the thread about the 61 year old Farang who got caught with a 16 year old compared to the small amount of attention that this thread has been given so far.

Its shows me that most Farang on this web site too have no inkling or the least bit of understanding of what is going on here or possibly anywhere environmentally speaking.

They think their plastic ATM cards will protect them from the “incidental problems” of this country.

Hey “Steven” my friend, if there is no water coming out of the sky or your sink pipes and the land is all desert (no food or water, hello anyone catching on?) it won’t make a ruck all difference what the unit price of water is my friend!

The Thais are all a in a western dream of environmental ignorance, I got that but what is the excuse for all the Farangs gross stupidity?

Pushing some buttons? I hope so!

It seems like every year, we go through this same drought situation and it seems to get a little worse each year... But the interesting thing to me is that as I drive from Udon Thani to Nong Khai every year at Songkran time, the streets and highways are soaking wet with the water thrown by the locals. and this water is pulled directly from the city wells...What a waste and no one cares...

I see that 139 people are currently reading this topic so quite a few people are interested. If they have any knowledge on the subject is another thing. I for instance know about farming what I was taught in highschool and college. Nothing more. Bu t I do know the value of water conservation...

WAKE UP CALL!

Not a good report I am afraid but what can you expect from what is happening in the last 30 years here in Thailand?

From my many years of observations here in Thailand, Thais generally know nothing about sustainable farming, soil and water conservation.

They burn nearly all organic material and most of their plastic as well.

I have asked many if they also burn their money in their bank account, wanting to stress the absolutely vital importance of the “organic cycling of nutrients” that they religiously continue to burn and waste year after year on the same piece of land, over and over.

If you think about it carefully you will see the insanity behind it.

In fact they actually are not farming at all, those “in the know” (I am afraid most readers of this web site are clueless as well, not just the Thais mind you) call this “mining”.

The farmers here are literally mining the soils and depleting them till nothing will grow, as in the large deserts which cover many areas of the world now and are growing at alarming speed.

Thais now are very heavy into chemical fertilizer and poisons which they liberally put on most of their lands.

Most of the leadership here in Thailand including the PM is clueless as well.

I am sure the chemical companies interest are wrapped tightly in the political powers that be and have no interests or ethical leadership principles to lead the uneducated masses out of this chemical quagmire they will find themselves in if they ever wake up that is. 

You can’t keep doing this terrible thing forever. There will come a time when you must “pay the bill”.

The rice farming particularly and now the corn farming techniques that they use here are creating a desert where once tropical paradise was enjoyed for eons.

The Thai people better wake up really fast or they will destroy the land possibly forever and loose this great country.

The King here actually has it right on this account (he is big time organic farming and permaculture supporter) but who is listening?

In reality almost no one it appears to me.

The Thais really think they know a lot (very proud about it too) but so far I have yet to meet but only a tiny few (can count on one hand easy) that have a clue what is gong on here environmentally speaking.

They have a new technology (chemical and mechanical farming) that will ruin them, as they absolutely don’t know what they are doing.

There are some Farangs and a handful of Thais here in Thailand and of coarse abroad who could offer important helpful solutions for the immediate and imminent environmental disasters which the country and the whole area is heading towards quickly.

The tsunami that just hit recently is nothing I am afraid compared to the man made environmental disaster which is here now and will continue to decimate large areas of this country in the next 1-15 years.

Anyone listening out there?

There are solutions!

Check out “Permaculture” that would be a great start for anyone with even half a brain.

Quite a hatred you seem to have against your fellow farangs there buddy! So are westerners to blame for the drought? What, we did'nt educate them well enough on land conservation? The Thais that always welcome outside assistance?! no, surely not!

Edited by mr_lob

Forgive my ignorance, but i have been before when water was tight and everything seemed to go on as normal, but this warning seems a little more serious than before. I am planning on getting married in Khon Kaen (nam phong) in the last week in may/ first in june and my 10 yr old son will be coming, is there any hightened risk of disease, should i carry on with the planning as normal? I do appreciate any advice and again forgive the ignorance.

I see that 139 people are currently reading this topic so quite a few people are interested. If they have any knowledge on the subject is another thing. I for instance know about farming what I was taught in highschool and college. Nothing more. Bu t I do know the value of water conservation...

how many of you know to takew water out from well when eletricity and equipments are not present as in west?

:o

To me it’s interesting all the energy and comments from all the super important “Farang Thai Sex Experts” on the thread about the 61 year old Farang who got caught with a 16 year old compared to the small amount of attention that this thread has been given so far.

Yes, you're right, but who wants to devote their leisure time to such serious topics when there's lots of amusing kakky ones about schmuks getting their come-uppance, from which we can derive lots of schadenfreude.

WAKE UP CALL!

:o

You are just the most wonderful intelligent person I have ever read, please, please save us all before its too late!! Only you are intelligent enough to do it.

And you wonder why the Thai's turn up their noses at your arrogance.

To state that the Thais are uninterested or arrogant about advice is just wrong. I suppose one could point out instances but for the most part I find Thais very concerned about their environment and about reversal technics and how to improve their biosphere. I represent a Denver based company that is working with the government to take municipal solid waste and gasify it and use the gas product to make ethanol. It's cutting edge technology and the government is going to install the equipment in Bangkok. It's non-polluting and manufactures a product that is at the least, bio-friendly. We also make water purification equipment that does not use chemicals. Been doing this for years. US Army uses the stuff in their field units. The Thai gov has shown positive interest in this as well. So the government is taking steps, they are not asleep and they have been extremely cooperative.

Interesting rant. Even more interesting that you do not provide any positive solutions at all. Yes, we know the problems, what about suggesting what can and should be done to fix it? It is very easy to complain, anyone can do it. Your post is proof.

i beg to differ:

go to the issan forum, we had a very lenghthy discussion at one point about farming; and yse the thai i work with have no clue... only those who have worked on kibbutzim here go back with new ideas but often very difficult for them to apply them due to age old ways of farming (drip irrigation was one method i had discussed and indeed one guy who worked here for 5 years took samples and phone numbers back with him... unfortunately, there once was an israeli irrigation project in thailand but it didnt work cause the workers cut the pipes continuously w/ their hoes etc and they didnt 'see' the water working so watered more... etc.....

i tried in the two weeks i was in one area of udon thani to discuss w/teachers and school children the importance of not wasting water.... when i handwashed clothes i would throw the water on the garden etc... they thought it was a waste of time.... to me , it is habit.... i am a farmer and i come from a drought stricken country and we know the worth of water since we pay per cubic liter for every tree plant and flower... our kibbutz does not plant large green lawns and beautiful flowers that need water, we recycle for agric., even in my park the duck pond and fish pond are closed circle etc..... the thai workes thought this was a waste of energy,

my worker/friend continues to water our vetetable garden manually for an hour even though we dont NEED to water every day and there is drip irrigation... i've seen these guys learning about biological (organic) orchards etc.from their work here with apples, peaches, grapes etc.. but they prefer to spray spray spray and hormones are even better!!!its the same as the hunting wildlife problem.... here it is illegal and i try to explain about conservation, their answer is always: there's plenty of xxxxx , no problem to hunt....

maybe some of the falang living in thailand should do what plachon and others had suggested: plant hard wood trees instead of the lucrative rubber trees, etc etc.... but when push comes to shove... poor people look to become wealthy and environment is not first on the list, and rich people/companies dont care and will continue to build large swimming pools, green golf courses that do use large amounts of water, etc at the expense of the farmer and his need for water....

as anyone can tell you, without grass roots education the poor thai farmers will suffer from their own hand (no money to change methods and no way to implement even if they wanted to) and also suffer from the richer techno agriculture companies and public in general

true i was only in the issan area one month, but i am a farmer and i kept my eyes and ears open to watch irrigation methods, animal mangement, water management (or lack thereof) etc....

having worked with old-timer goat herders here (in israel) i know how difficult it is to change an older farmer's methods and convince him that new methods are sometimes better and he will see results.... it involves getting your hands dirty, feet full of sh-t and hot sun on your back to make changes, and not just talking about it in the news and in offices... if i ever had the money to go back to thailand, i would, just to help work on those issues from the bottom level, one on one.

how to change: every person on this forum who lives in thailand can make small changes, or help his/her family make small slight changes that add up and make a difference in dealing with saving water, proper use of fertilizer /organic etc farming... not done all at once but very very slowly... when results speak for themselves, than people will want to expand and change...

10 years ago there was no organic farming etc in israel on large scale, now everyone is interested for money, ideology whatever.... we never recycled anything, now my kids drive me nuts about newspapers, plastic whatever.... they get it in school, i get it from the agric. ministry.... for the old farmers, this was all difficult, but gradually changes are made....

i know im ranting but this is a sore subject for me, lack of water.... i know what it means when there is no graze land for goats which means less milk, etc then the cost of hay goes up; no water means the crops dont develop properly etc etc.... we count the millimeters of rain every day; has the sea of galilee risen enough to make it through the summer, does this mean we can plant this type of cotton or let the field lie fallow cause no water to irrigate etc.... i am following this in thailand very closely as my friends have land in buriram and i can empathize... i know his wife walks a few kilo. for water now every day etc....

Nitrogenous fertilizer will always rule. Its cheapest and nothing makes your crops grow as fast for so little upfront cash. Asia, across the board, is making capital investment in more new chemical fertilizer plants.

Organic/biological fertilizers are very effective, but rural people here aren't assed about mastering the details. (...and are there sufficient bio-fertilizer plants?)

Kibbutz methods are great and produce high yields with high quality and low wastage, but over large industrial-scale farming here, these methods won't be applied.

Now, back to my raunch n' filth topics......

Edited by The_Eye_Of_Sauron

Kibbutz methods are great and produce high yields with high quality and low wastage, but over large industrial-scale farming here, these methods won't be applied.

And apart from a few kibbutzim with successful industry, the majority are barely avoiding bankruptcy.

First of all it's good some folks managed to get this thread going!

Ok I did write:

1.)"There are solutions! Check out “Permaculture” that would be a great start"

2.)"The King here actually has it right on this account (he is big time organic farming and permaculture supporter"

Magnolia_fan it appears you didn’t bother to read much of my post or is it your not even in the 1/2 brain level quite yet? Pathetic!

Learn to read English and maybe you could begin to help start the changes we need to survive.

"Nitrogenous fertilizer will always rule.”

Sorry this isn’t true and impossible actually as they will eventually destroy the soils and the farm won’t be able to produce anything.

Kogrutter you are really out of touch man get a grip on reality.

The normal guy on the street in Thailand has no clue about much of anything on this subject I am afraid to tell you. You sound like some prerecorded sales pitch right out of some high price USA biz school.

Why don’t you drop in for a visit to planet Earth and proceed on to Thailand, you will be in for a real shock!

I am afraid only Drew9906 got it right nearly anyway!

I am not wondering though, I know what I am talking about.

I live it and you don’t, this is why I can write about it and you can't so far.

Are you on the bus or not?

I can connect the dots yes this is true.

Most of the responses show me a true lack of being able to do this so far.

Maybe some of you need to go back to the sex scandal thread where you can feel more comfortable with your expertise? Meanwhile those who know there are more important things pressing can continue with comments, discussions and yes solutions absolutely on this extremely important issue.

Permaculture looks like a viable solution and I worked on something similar in Indonesia.

But my project was on a small scale, and not over the hundreds of thousands of hectares that Thai agro-business deals in.

Don't really want to debate the merits ...and problems, (raising capital was my duty), though if this topic is just a harangue.

Update:

HM King calls for new cabinet to give priority to drought relief

BANGKOK: -- His Majesty the King has called for the new cabinet to give priority to drought relief.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra told journalists after having an audience with His Majesty the King at the Klaikangvol Royal Palace this evening to receive a Royal command endorsing the appointment of the new cabinet that the beloved Thai monarch expressed his concerns to the current drought problem which has spread to over 60 provinces across the nation, and has called for the new cabinet to take the problem seriously by implementing urgent measures to relieve the plight of residents in the drought-stricken areas.

The prime minister said that his new cabinet team would follow the advice of His Majesty the King.

The new cabinet, headed by Mr. Thaksin, has six deputies prime minister, including Mr. Somkid Jatusripitak, Mr. Chaturon Chaisang, Mr. Wissanu Krea-Ngam, Mr. Pinij Jarusombat, Mr. Surakiart Sathirathai, who sat on the Foreign Minister seat firmly over the past four years, and Pol. Gen. Chidchai Vanasatidya, a former chief of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB).

Mr. Somkid also takes the post of the Finance Minister concurrently, while Pol. Gen. Chidchai also gets the top job at the Interior Ministry concurrently.

Gen. Thamarak Isarangura was appointed the new Defence Minister, while Mr. Thanong Bidaya takes the helm of the Commerce portfolio as earlier announced by Pirme Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The new Foreign Minister is Mr. Kantathir Suphamongkhon, wellknown as a most competent former Thai trade representative who has created a sound relationship and network with international envoys and leaders.

Mr. Kantathir has Mr. Preecha Laohapongchana as his deputy; while, Mr. Somkid has two deputies--Mr. Varathep Ratanakorn and Mr. Chaiyos Sasomsap.

Mrs. Sudarat Keyuraphan was shifted to be the new Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister, while Dr. Suchai Charoenrattanakul stepped up to take the Public Heath Ministry's top seat.

The Former Deputy Commerce Minister, Mr. Anutin Charnvirakul, now becomes the new Deputy Public Health Minister.

Education Minister Adisai Bodharamik, Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit and Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Newin Chidchob remain on their same posts, while the Secretary General to the Prime Minister, Mr. Yongyut Tiyapirat, who was also a former government spokesman, becomes the new Natural Resources and Environment Minister.

The new Industry Minister, Energy Minister, and Tourism and Sports Minister are Mr. Watana Muangsook, Mr. Viset Choopiban, a former top executive of PTT Public Company Limited (PTT), and Mr. Somsak Thepsuthin respectively.

Dr. Rung Kaew Daeng, a renowned and veteran educationist, was appointed Deputy Education Minister.

The former outspoken spoksman of the ruling Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party, Mr. Suranant Vejajiva, was appointed the Prime Minister's Office Minister, overseeing the country's media agencies, including the Public Relation Department and MCOT Public Company Limited (MCOT); while Mr. Suwit Khunkitti was shifted from the top job of the Natural Resources and Environment portfolio to take the helm of the Information and Communications Technology Ministry.

The new Justice Minister is Mr.Suwat Liptapanlop, while the new Social Development and Human Security Minister is Mr. Pracha Maleenont.

The former Social Development and Human Security Minister, Mr. Sora-at Klinpratoom, was shifted to be the new Labour Minister, replacing Mrs. Uraiwan Thienthong, who now becomes the new Culture Minister.

Mr. Korn Dapparansi remains his same job as the Science and Technology Minister.

--TNA 2005-03-11

Yes “Permaculture” works on small scale and large scale. Even over the hundreds of thousands of hectares that Thai agro-business deals in it will work no question about it.

It adapts to the solutions and problems at hand and I think should be required study for all studies everywhere in the world.

Look into it when you have the time.

Talk about solutions, I can think of no better on this planet!

I am not looking to jump on the helpless folks actually and am waiting for some more intelligent discussions on this subject.

Too bad you couldn’t contribute towards this end “sabai dee”.

kibbutzim are losing due to bad management not bad agriculture... get the facts straight and our progress in general convservation is middle eastern slow, we have lots of problems with water tables, chemicals, etc; here at my place we do have a sewage management plant including gambusa fish etc living in the water; water is used to irrigate the apples since processed sewage water is illegal to use on vegetables, only on crops that are not to be eaten, or trees when root watered.

second; of course these methods can be applied to large areas; all of our agriculture is techno agriculture, organic or not...

a little education goes a long way... teach agriculture in elementary school like my daughter is learning in 5th grade (non kibbutz school); my son gets conservation/nature in 8th grade, etc.. what they get ingrained into their brains is what took us years to learn but it pays off: cleaner environment, etc etc....

it probably boils down to large chemical companies preventing smaller less competitive 'organic' types from being able to develop and grow, therefore the 'organic' stuff is more expensive and complicated to deal with....

we've already discussed the salt pools near udon thani some threads ago, w/salt leeching into the water tables etc.... $$$$$$$$$$$ farmers are land rich money poor and companies are greedy, and can shell out a few bucks..... the rest becomes history...

japanese paper mills, eucalyptus trees, erosion and bad (poisoned by the trees) soil, water run off, etc etc etc... there are no imediate answers to drought:

last year we werent permitted to water our private gardens; anyone caught watering, was fined; same for washing cars with hoses (we do the one bucket wash);

our lawns dried up; we plant drought resistant varieties of plants and trees (cactuses ugh); even the animals i choose to have in the park must be arid loving species as i cannot build water fountains, tropical rain forest biospheres, etc.

only long planning of course can help, and some help from mother nature cant hurt also.... but i doubt that funding for water saving and usage projects will be forthcoming. drought relief is a band-aid; what is needed is long term planning education and projects that are applicable in reality and not just on paper... i've seen too many silly agricultural projects that fizzle out....unfortunately babbling about drought and sustainable agriculture on the net does not actually do much to convince those that dont need convincing.... i guess my ideology has and always will be to start in my own backyard; maybe a neighbhor will like what he sees and try it next year etc....

kibbutzim are losing due to bad management not bad agriculture... get the facts

Both the Kibbutzim and Thai farmers suffer from the same problem: they are too small to compete with big agro-business and even well managed kibbutzim that lack industry have suffered. Don't get me wrong, I loved the grand experiment in socialism, but it has not prospered over the generations.

But this has little to do with drought and weather pattern changes. In most models of global warming it is the lower latitude countries like Thailand that are projected to suffer the most catastrophic changes. As for the Middle East, there have already been military conflicts whose basis was control of water rights, e.g. the Yarkon in 1967. I would not be surprised to see other regional conflicts over water rights over the coming years.

Thailand is not the first country to suffer such woes neither will it be the last , water conservation and demand management are very serious issues.However it is in area that needs to be adressed by Mr T and his government and the best intentions of a handful of TV members whilst plaudable will not change Thai farming culture.

Water or the lack of it will no doubt lead to misery and suffering for many and for some areas of the world will result in conflict in the next 25 years.

Ayakiawie, I understand your frustrations however like many of my fellow members I find the 'tabloid' threads far more interesting and worthy of a cheap one liner and yes before you comment - there in lies the problem.

HI

Have ben reading the threads for a few months now and your last post struck a cord with me, as I am curently writing a bok on desertification, its causes and how this cataclysmic problem can begin to be addressed.

I made a prediction that following the tsunami coastal destruction, there would be an initial increase in rainfall, followed by an unpresedented drought. I hope to god I have got this wrong.

The problem of removal of trees and vegetation, exposing huge sandy coastal areas to the suns energy, radiates thermals into the sky. On the face of it, one would not believe that the rising thermals from the hot dry sandy beaches could prevent rains from falling. However, it is becoming more evident that moisture arising from the oceans is prevented from crossing on to the lands by these thermal barriers. Indeed, this is how the Sahara desert has become so prolific in spreading to the size of 2x australia, and is now moving rapidly up through Spain.

The wake up call that Thailand is about to experience over the coming years may cause people to sit up and listen. It may even show the absolute futility in monoculture cash-crops.

“A nation that destroys it’s soil, destroys itself."

-- President Franklin D. Roosevelt

Andrew

WAKE UP CALL!

mono culture means $$$ as u know and i ssaid:

land rich money poor and mono culture means the company buys the crop ahead of time, and they are nasty crops too: cotton (needs lots of water), tobacco (wich no one can eat if they cant sell it), etc....

desertification, wellll.....

i think that this drought is a continuation of what was last year after february when people talked drought?? i think at the moment more practical short term solutions will be needed:recycled water (or whatever its called in english ); better water management and storage, of course with less farming, more influx to the cities, country has to buy produce from outside etc etc etc.......for the want of a liter, a country is lost.........the rich will be a little less rich, the poor will just die.......

i find it difficult to imagine that your average issan farmer will sit up and take notice to change; more likely he is taking notice and tearing his hair out thinking how he will pay back bank loans based on crops that wont be....

reminds me again of the goat raisers here; a bunch of old geezers and i were in a gv't sponsered conference to learn about diseases etc. 80% of these old geezers have CAE (a nasty disease) in their herd which will die out by age 5; only 4 of us 'youngsters' knew and CARED about learning and implementing tactics to eliminate it from herds (a simple if slightly expensive blood test and culling but to lose most of your herd after 5 yrs costs more in long long run) ... they just REFUSE TO LEARN..... very frustrating when u want to help them improve things....thai farmers, probably same same and rich corporate farmers dont care.......

'nuff said......

desertification of the world is big issue now, just like global warming and globalization

I live in Loei province and we have not had any rain since early November. They plant a lot of soybeans up here and how they stay alive is beyond me. It has to be the heavy dew each morning that keeps them alive. They are now starting to yellow and are not going to produce much. The Thais are used to the feast or famine of water availability and have done a lot to conserve water including thousands of "rice" ponds for water storage. The vast majority of these ponds are now dry and it is getting quite serious.

On the other hand a farang friend of mine has a small resort about 5 kilometers from where I live. He has an large ornamental fish pond. All he is worried about is losing his fish. The pond serves no function except it is pretty and his guests fish in it. That said he has been running a well pump 24/7 for the last month trying to maintain the water level. My small village also uses drilled wells and no one can remember them ever going dry. I hope that continues to be the case but with ignorant people depleting the ground water it can't be that way forever. I know of no golf courses near here so I can't complain about that waste of water. LOL!

On the other side of the coin it is great fun for the Thai people to gather fish from these ponds that are drying up. The other day they caught one fish that weighed 11 kilograms. How long do you suppose it took for that fish to grow that large? The size of that fish and how long it took to get that big is how long it has been since that particular pond has dried up. Scary indeed. :o

On the other  The other day they caught one fish that weighed 11 kilograms. How long do you suppose it took for that fish to grow that large? The size of that fish and how long it took to get that big is how long it has been since that particular pond has dried up. Scary indeed.  :o

24 lbs! What was it Gary, a type of catfish? :D

On the other  The other day they caught one fish that weighed 11 kilograms. How long do you suppose it took for that fish to grow that large? The size of that fish and how long it took to get that big is how long it has been since that particular pond has dried up. Scary indeed.  :o

24 lbs! What was it Gary, a type of catfish? :D

It's a pity this fish won't live to breed some more... :D