Over 9.5 Million Suffer As Drought Spreads

george

As a little side note not sure if someone else has mentioned, Singapore for past few years has started reclaiming waste water

Water Convserve

Due to the fact they have little to none water supplies of their own water is transported from Malaysia. They seem to be doing very well with it and while it is only bottled for now, their looking at making it into a full cycle system and filling tap water resivoirs after public education to take away the "ewwww" factor, mind such a system probably not very viable out in the sticks, but could be used in the more developed areas.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ArtfulD

Had not heard about Singapores efforts to resolve their waste water problems. Thanks for the info. Would like to think that forestry would be a first choice for their waste water excess.

Random Chances

A breath of fresh air to hear that you are planting trees for the future, and great idea to time the harvest with your retirement.

Thanks for the insight into a Farmers Logic. No doubt the trees you plant will provide shelter and windbreaks for your land, not to mention their inevitable enhancements to the look of your farm.

Have you thought about inviting the children from the local schools to help with the planting of the trees?

Andrew

Hi Bina

Great idea to have a National Tree Planting day. Maybe even a National Tree Planting week might prove  more productive :D

What about "Royal Trees Week" Or "Thailands Trees Week" "National Tree Planting Week"  "Plant a Tree For Free Week"  "Trees 4 Free Week"

"Heal The Earth Week" "Trees for Rain Week" "Thailands Tree Treaty" (favourite)

"People of the Trees" "Tree People Week" "National Reforesting Week"

"Tree Memorial week" "Tsunami Memorial Tree Week"

"Thailands Tsunami Tree Week"

Just a few ideas for a name.

Maybe someone could write to the King or to his environment advisors, maybe we all could write, maybe we could ask the children in schools to write by contacting the local and National Media

I have a good feeling about this approach Bina. In the UK We have a National Tree week, and the Media love it, showing children planting trees for the future.

Andrew :D

We have Plant a Pom Day in Aus. :o

Now after 5 year can I see the result, my banana, lichie, coconuts and all other tres are well over 4m in heigt and all the fruits are bigger than all other in this area, my vegitables is bigger and has a good taste, and I have plenty of it

This land sounds nice. Some Chao Phor should steal it from him. He says he is digging in the cow manure - that sounds like 'work' - I expect he doesn't have a current Work Permit.

The local Kamnan should grab this land quick-quick.

It'd be somewhat unusual for a WP to be given to a farang engaged in a prohibited occupation.

Have you thought about inviting the children from the local schools to help with the planting of the trees?
Andy I'd hazard a guess that you dont live in the countryside, I laughed out loud when I read that, thinking of the reaction I'd have. Nice idea though. Oh we are planting other trees that are fast growing for shade (don makam ted I think) have't got a clue what they are called in english. Realy quick growing and very thorny. Ideal as the cows dont eat them, they grow naturaly here and appaerntly all you have to do is take cuttings and plant in the rainy season.
It'd be somewhat unusual for a WP to be given to a farang engaged in a prohibited occupation.

Would'nt of thought he'd need one for looking after his garden Doc

hey random, nice to hear from u again,

in the next few years if i can get to thailand again, i am definately coming to visit.... probably the only person that would visit thailand to see farms :o

i took a look at our donkey enclosure which we dont muck out as it is too large and partially terraced but no greenery (except for fenced trees) .... the muck just sits and becomes a mire in the winter; it is mixed with straw leftovers around the feeding areas; in the summer it dries and then we do bag it and give (for free!) to people for the gardens... saw no evidence of becoming packed down cement like; however, the dirt around the duck pond, covered in guano (remember ace venture,animal detective?) does pack down, cement like and holds water, which the ducks love.....

am going to check with the guys here in sataf (a forestry station that have re established a nabatean desert agricultural site) to find out more about this idea....

p.s. random, thought of becoming a matador? :D

in the next few years if i can get to thailand again, i am definately coming to visit.... probably the only person that would visit thailand to see farms
Youd be more than welcome, next time your out get in touch.
random, thought of becoming a matador?

More like one of those clowns you see at the rodeo's :o

Ribs are better now just a dull ache.

Hawaii

Abstract:

Understanding and Defining Drought

August 9, 2002

Although many erroneously consider it a rare and random event, drought is a normal, recurrent feature of climate. It can occur in virtually all climatic zones, with its characteristics varying significantly from one region to another. Drought is a temporary aberration and differs from aridity since the latter is restricted to low rainfall regions and is a permanent feature of climate.

Drought is an insidious hazard of nature. Although it has scores of definitions, it originates from a deficiency of precipitation over an extended period of time, usually a season or more. Drought should be considered relative to the long-term average or normal balance between precipitation and evapo-transpiration (evaporation + transpiration) in a particular area. It is also related to the timing and the effectiveness of precipitation. Other climatic factors such as high temperatures, high wind, and low relative humidity are often associated with drought in many regions, including the Pacific basin.

Drought should not be viewed as merely a physical phenomenon or natural event. Its impacts on society result from the interplay between a natural event and the demand people place on water supply. Human beings often exacerbate the impact of drought. Recent droughts in both developing and developed countries, and the resulting economic and environmental impacts and personal hardships, have underscored the vulnerability of all societies to this "natural" hazard.

Source(s): Department of Geography, University of Hawaii. "Atlas of Hawaii." Stearns, Harold T. "Geology of the Hawaiian Islands." Second Printing, 1967. National Weather Service

Drought Conservation Measures

February 26, 2004

Examples of conservation measures include:

Inspect all pipes and faucets for leaks, as hundreds of gallons or liters a day could be dripping away.

Match the load setting on the washing machine with the amount of laundry to be washed. If your machine has no load selector, wash full loads only.

Check toilets for hidden leaks. Tank-to-bowl leaks can waste about a quart or liter of water with each flush. Place a few drops of food coloring in the tank. Wait 15 minutes and see if the color appears in the bowl. If so, you have a leak. Make necessary repairs immediately.

Wash the car with soap, water, and a bucket. Use a hose with a shut-off nozzle for a quick final rinse. Better yet, find out if your local car wash recycles its water. Then treat yourself to a car wash and actually save water.

Install ultra low-volume toilets and low-flow shower heads or fill a plastic, one-quart or one-liter bottle with water and place it in the toilet to reduce the amount of water used with each flush. To anchor the bottle, partially fill it with sand or small stones.

Use a broom to clean sidewalks or your driveway. Washing down these areas with a hose wastes water.

Turn off the tap while you shave or brush your teeth and take shorter showers.

Adjust sprinklers so only the lawn is watered and not the house, sidewalk, or street.

Load the automatic dishwasher to capacity before running it.

Water your lawn in the early morning and never on a windy day to avoid evaporation.

Use two basins when washing dishes by hand, one for washing and one for rinsing, rather than a running faucet.

Place a layer of mulch around trees and plants so more water can be retained.

Clean vegetables using water in a pan and a vegetable brush rather than letting the tap run needlessly.

Landscape using low-water plants and rock gardens to reduce the amount of lawn to be watered.

Put a pitcher of drinking water in the refrigerator so the whole family can enjoy nature's thirst quencher without having to run the tap.

Know how to turn off an automatic sprinkler system in case of rain.

Defrost frozen food without running water over the packages. Place food in the refrigerator or defrost in the microwave.

Install trickle-drip irrigation systems close to the roots of your plants.

Clean greasy hands with a waterless hand cleaner.

Use a soil moisture indicator to tell you when the lawn needs watering.

Cover pools and spas to cut down on evaporation.

Insulate your hot water pipes. Less water will be wasted before hot water flows.

Recycle water from fish tanks by using it to water plants. Fish emulsion is a good and inexpensive fertilizer.

© 1996 American Water Works Association (AWWA).

Source(s): Department of Geography, University of Hawaii, "Atlas of Hawaii." Streams, Harold T. "Geology of the Hawaiian Islands." Second Printing, 1967. National Weather Service

The forest reserves of Hawai‘i were established in the early 1900s in response to concerns about supplies of freshwater in the islands and the degraded condition of the native forests protecting the watersheds. Tree-planting was a coordinated effort involving both Harold Lyon and the Hawaiian Sugar Planters' Association and Territorial Forestry under the direction of R. S. Hosmer. The early foresters planted many types of trees on an experimental basis, but concluded that native species were of limited utility and turned largely to introduced species for large-scale reforestation efforts. The number of trees planted rose to many millions by the 1930s, when Depression-era labor was available for planting. Lyon envisioned the plantations as a buffer zone that would be established between the remaining native forests and the lower-elevation agricultural lands to protect the native forests and perform the functions (maintaining input of water to aquifers) that native forest no longer could. This large-scale attempt to engineer nature was probably the largest environmental project ever carried out in the islands. Forestry introductions have been a significant contributor to Hawaii's alien-species crisis, with many of these tree species now problem invasives.

Keywords: alien species; Hawaiian Islands; tree plantations; watershed

Language: Unknown

Document Type: Research article

DOI: 10.1111/1467-8306.9303006

Africa

NIDEP is also promoting the planting of Cashew, Mango, Guava, Papaya (Pawpaw), Dowadowa (local tree whose fruits are turned into a food seasoning) and Shea (another local tree used for making 'shea butter', a sort of solid vegetable oil). NIDEP also promotes tree planting in schools. Children are allocated a tree each and given prizes or points if their tree does well. There are several motivations for this: getting children into tree planting at an early age, providing shade around schools, and, later, giving the school an income when the fruits or trees are harvested. The children are also being encouraged to start vegetable gardens.

Further information about NIDEP can be found on the web site of Marios Cleovoulou.

PATIA has supported three other organisations in Ghana with their tree planting activities.

The Atuba-Agumishe Community Livestock and Crop Farmers Association and the Mustard Seed Foundation.

The former has two nurseries and two plantations in the Atuba-Agumishe area, one of three acres and the other of five acres. Teak, Neem, Cassiaw Albesia and Mango are among the species planted. These plots are community land and the women that plant and take care of the trees work voluntarily on the understanding that they will reap the benefits.

Many thousands of seedlings from the nurseries have been given out to schools, community groups and to individual association members who are required to plant 15 trees each year on their own land.

The director and founder is Guy Williams Mbilla who has been planting trees since he was a child.

The Mustard Seed Foundation was co-founded by Christian Nuhoho and Nutifafa Richard. The Ghana headquarters are in Accra but the main operational area is around Bamboi, which is on the Black Volta River in the North. The area is thinly wooded with scattered small trees with grasses and sparse shrubs in between.

The organisation has planted many cashew trees with cassava in between. Cashew trees provide nuts after four years. Marios Cleovoulou, who has carried out an assessment of the above projects in Ghana, estimates that the value of the cashew crop from 2005 could be as much as £26,400 per year, which should be sufficient to run a planned orphanage for 40 children and a school for 200 children.

http://www.fiohnetwork.org/patia/patiaprojects.htm

<<< interesting but non-Thailand related words removed >>>

Are you in Thailand Andrew?

Have you ever been to Thailand?

If so, you would know that much of your conservation measures quote, whilst interesting, bears little resemblance to daily life here... :o

The price of planting concrete and tarmac instead of managing coastal forests.

Year Area Remarks

1901 North Hawaii Severe drought, destructive forest fires.

1905 Kona, Hawaii Serious drought and forest fires.

1908 Hawaii and Maui Serious drought.

1912 Kohala, Hawaii Serious drought and severe sugarcane crop damage for two years.

1952 Kauai Long, severe dry spell.

1953 Hawaii, Kauai, Maui and Oahu Water rationing on Maui; Water tanks in Kona almost empty; 867 head of cattle died; Pineapple production on Molokai reduced by 30 percent; Rainfall in the islands had been 40 percent less than normal.

1962 Hawaii and Maui State declared disaster for these islands; Crop damage, cattle deaths, and sever fire hazards; Losses totaled $200,000.

1965 Hawaii State water emergency declared; Losses totaled $400,000.

1971 Hawaii and Maui Irrigation and domestic water users sharply curtailed.

1975 Kauai and Oahu Worst drought for sugar plantations in 15 years.

1977 - 1978 Hawaii and Maui Declared State disaster for these islands.

1980-81 Hawaii and Maui State declared disaster; Heavy agricultural and cattle losses; Damages totaling at least $1.4 million.

1983 - 1985 Hawaii El Niño effect; State declared disaster; Crop production reduced by 80 percent in Waimea and Kamuela areas; $96,000 spent for drought relief projects.

1996 Hawaii, Maui, and Molokai Declared drought emergency; heavy damages to agriculture and cattle industries; Losses totaling at least $9.4 million.

1998 - 1999 Hawaii and Maui State declared drought emergency for Maui; County declared emergency for Hawaii due to water shortages; heavy damages to agriculture and cattle industries; Statewide cattle losses alone estimated at $6.5 million.

2000 - 2002 Hawaii, Maui, Molokai, Oahu, Kauai Counties declare drought emergencies; Governor proclaims statewide drought emergency; Secretary of Interior designates all Counties as primary disaster areas due to drought; East Maui streams at record low levels; Statewide cattle losses alone projected at $9 million.

Jai Dee

I have never been to Africa either, or Hawaii, or the Middle East.

The drought and desert problems faced globally by everyone follow an exact pattern, no matter what part of the world one stands in!

I included the part about Africa's women and children and schools becoming enlightened about the need to replant the forests that they, and the Western people have removed, in order to address the problem of desertification, following long term problems of diminishing rainfall, in response to the misconception that schools, and children are in any way less aware of the impending water shortages.

The drought measures from Hawaii, while pointing to the rich populations there, reflect identical problems of bad water management by the tourist industries, filling swimming pools, and flushing toilets, while the farming communities struggle to water their crops!

I agree that conservation measures are the last thing on the minds of many visitors to Thailand. But I disagree with you about relating this to the people whoe work and live off the lands.

It is they that suffer when the rains fail.

Andrew

But I disagree with you about relating this to the people whoe work and live off the lands.

This is exactly why I asked you about your knowledge/experience in Thailand.

The poor farmers are the ones that suffer the most, and typically none of them have toilets that flush... they use a squat hong nam and a bowl to wash/flush, none of them are likely to have washing machines, or sprinkler systems, or hot water systems, or air conditioning, or gardens, or lawns, or car-washes etc....

Your conservation methods may work well in the western world where people in general are more affluent, but not for the poor farmers in Isaan.

Jai Dee

I am fully aware of the sanitation in rural areas.

My point is that demands from coastal areas and tourist activities are substantially higher than in the rural areas. Water is often diverted to the richer areas by way of dams and pipework, and I guess Thailand is no exception to this problem.

Furthermore, the activities of tourists and the tourist industries, in removing the foliage from the coastal waters, causes a knock on effect with rainfall patterns elsewhere. I.E. the exposed coastal areas, devoid of vegetation, cause hot thermals to rise into the air, prohibiting moisture from crossing onto the land and falling as rain in rural areas. This can be seen on any coastline, as the moisture forms and rolls along the coastal areas, occasionally reaching dewpoint and becoming visible, while inland is scorched dry by the energy from the sun upon the dry soils and sands. If that thermal barrier were to be removed, by planting more trees along the coastal areas, many of which have been destroyed by the recent tsunami, then the moisture will again cross onto the land, and the clouds formed will cross over the land, screening out the suns rays and falling to the soil as rains when temperatures drop at night time.

It is erroneous to believe that the activities of one area, or even the activities of countries on the other side of the globe, will not have any impact elsewhere.

Sorry if I did not make my reasoning clear to begin with

Andrew

Edited by Andrew K Fletcher

Jai Dee

I am fully aware of the sanitation in rural areas.

My point is that demands from coastal areas and tourist activities are substantially higher than in the rural areas. Water is often diverted to the richer areas by way of dams and pipework, and I guess Thailand is no exception to this problem.

Furthermore, the activities of tourists and the tourist industries, in removing the foliage from the coastal waters, causes a knock on effect with rainfall patterns elsewhere. I.E.  the exposed coastal areas, devoid of vegetation, cause hot thermals to rise into the air, prohibiting moisture from crossing onto the land and falling as rain in rural areas. This can be seen on any coastline, as the moisture forms and rolls along the coastal areas, occasionally reaching dewpoint and becoming visible, while inland is scorched dry by the energy from the sun upon the dry soils and sands. If that thermal barrier were to be removed, by planting more trees along the coastal areas, many of which have been destroyed by the recent tsunami, then the moisture will again cross onto the land, and the clouds formed will cross over the land, screening out the suns rays and falling to the soil as rains when temperatures drop at night time.

It is erroneous to believe that the activities of one area, or even the activities of countries on the other side of the globe, will not have any impact elsewhere.

Sorry if I did not make my reasoning clear to begin with

Andrew

The monsoon rains in Issan are usually from the north, east and northeast, sweeping over from The South China Sea across Vietnam and Laos. I don't think tourist activities in the south will affect this, likewise water is not diverted to the south from Issan! Golf courses consume large amounts of water but so does rice farming out of season. There's a famous poem written by the Thai poet Naowarat Pongpaiboon 30 years ago describing a mass exodus to Bangkok by Issan villagers in April to escape a relentless drought. It seems they're nothing new in Issan.

Fires in Southeast Asia

According to news reports from Southeast Asia, the end of the dry phase of the Southeast Asian monsoon in the spring of 2005 found numerous countries facing a crippling drought. In March 2005, India, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and southern China were experiencing some of the most severe drought conditions in decades.

In the face of such dry conditions, both natural and human-caused fires become more likely. This image of Southeast Asia on March 30, 2005, was captured by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Aqua satellite. Superimposed on the sensor’s digital-photo-like image are red dots that show locations where MODIS detected actively burning fires. Hundreds of smoky fires, probably a mixture of agricultural fires and wildfires, span the region from Myanmar in the west to Laos in the east.

2005 Drought + Fires viewed from Satelite

Biomass Burning in Southeast Asia

Many fires (red pixels) continued to burn throughout Southeast Asia on April 8, 2002, mostly concentrated in Myanmar. The skies over eastern Myanmar and western Thailand were filled with a thick pall of smoke (greyish pixels).

2002 Fires Nasa

Fires in Southeast Asia

Fires in Southeast Asia are becoming more widespread. This true-color Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) image from the Aqua satellite on January 17, 2003, shows fires marked in red. Cambodia is in the image center, Thailand is at left, while Vietnam is at right. The Mekong Rivers cuts down through Cambodia in a brown line.

2003 Fires NASA

Fires in Southeast Asia

On Tuesday afternoon, March 4, 2003, NASA?s Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on the Aqua satellite detected hundreds of fires burning across Southeast Asia. This close to the equator, spring-like weather is firmly underway, and fires are being set to clear land for planting and stimulate new growth of pasture grasses. This biomass burning peaks in late winter or early (true) spring, but not before it significantly impacts air quality for hundreds, even thousands of miles around. This image shows (clockwise from top right) China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos (east) and Thailand (west), and Myanmar. Notice the widespread deforestation, especially in eastern Thailand and Cambodia.

This one is Awesome NASA

TERRA.WIRE

Link

Deforestation blamed for worsening Thailand drought

BANGKOK (AFP) Mar 17, 2005

Deforestation has worsened a severe drought afflicting Thailand and the key to preventing similar problems in the future lies in doubling forest cover, an agriculture official said Thursday.

Deforestation has long been a problem affecting parts of Thailand, with illegal logging continuing despite numerous tree planting campaigns over the years.

"The whole problem is currently Thailand has only 20 percent of forest area [and] to avert the drought we must increase forest area to between 30 to 40 percent of total area," the official told AFP, asking not to be named.

The drought which began last September has now hit 5.28 million acresmillion hectares) of farmland, according to the agriculture ministry.

It has affected 63 of Thailand's 76 total provinces -- including 10 areas declared as disaster zones -- and cost the economy a reported 364 million dollars.

As many as 9.2 million people are now affected, according to the interior ministry.

Pornchai Phonchua, head of the irrigation department's drought operation center, said the drought had decimated non-irrigated rice farming in the northeastern provinces. Thailand is the world's top rice exporter.

"We expect the drought will continue until mid-May but if there is no rain after that the drought situation will worsen," Pornchai said.

Northeast farmers have been banned from planting second crops, and water from the region's rapidly drying dams and reservoirs is being rationed.

Agriculture Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan on Thursday inspected Nakhon Ratchasima, the hardest hit province.

Officials are concentrating on cloud seeding -- a process in which chemicals are sprayed into and above clouds to stimulate rain -- as a key effort to alleviate drought.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who has a patent for a cloud-seeding technique, on Wednesday personally took charge of rain-making efforts and will monitor them from a centre set up at his seaside palace at Hua Hin.

Deputy agriculture minister Newin Chidchob said more than 60 pilots and scientists would be trained for cloud seeding operations which begin Tuesday, using 45 aircraft carrying 37,000 tons of chemicals.

TERRA.WIRE

Link

Deforestation blamed for worsening Thailand drought

BANGKOK (AFP) Mar 17, 2005

Deforestation has worsened a severe drought afflicting Thailand and the key to preventing similar problems in the future lies in doubling forest cover, an agriculture official said Thursday.

Deforestation has long been a problem affecting parts of Thailand, with illegal logging continuing despite numerous tree planting campaigns over the years.

"The whole problem is currently Thailand has only 20 percent of forest area [and] to avert the drought we must increase forest area to between 30 to 40 percent of total area," the official told AFP, asking not to be named.

The drought which began last September has now hit 5.28 million acresmillion hectares) of farmland, according to the agriculture ministry.

It has affected 63 of Thailand's 76 total provinces -- including 10 areas declared as disaster zones -- and cost the economy a reported 364 million dollars.

As many as 9.2 million people are now affected, according to the interior ministry.

Pornchai Phonchua, head of the irrigation department's drought operation center, said the drought had decimated non-irrigated rice farming in the northeastern provinces. Thailand is the world's top rice exporter.

"We expect the drought will continue until mid-May but if there is no rain after that the drought situation will worsen," Pornchai said.

Northeast farmers have been banned from planting second crops, and water from the region's rapidly drying dams and reservoirs is being rationed.

Agriculture Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan on Thursday inspected Nakhon Ratchasima, the hardest hit province.

Officials are concentrating on cloud seeding -- a process in which chemicals are sprayed into and above clouds to stimulate rain -- as a key effort to alleviate drought.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who has a patent for a cloud-seeding technique, on Wednesday personally took charge of rain-making efforts and will monitor them from a centre set up at his seaside palace at Hua Hin.

Deputy agriculture minister Newin Chidchob said more than 60 pilots and scientists would be trained for cloud seeding operations which begin Tuesday, using 45 aircraft carrying 37,000 tons of chemicals.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Irrigation Dept. and 'un-named officials" say Andrew. If you lived here would understand that there's usually an ulterior motive to their logic. Irrigation development and "reafforestation" attempts have been one of the main contributors to the present dire lack of forest in Isaan, both through directly flooding huge areas of former forest and cutting roads into old forests, without adding much to food output. It's come at a heavy financial cost to the environment, villagers and the nation too.

When officials say they want "more forest cover", nine times out of ten it is industrial monocrop rubber or eucalypts on their minds, rather than genuine forest. One has to read between the lines a bit on official pronouncements of "floods" and "droughts", and not jump to a rapid conclusion. Still, you're right in believing that NE Thailand is seriously deforested and action is required to reverse the trend, but the "solution" could be worse than the "problem" if current trends of privatisation of the commons continue.

But I disagree with you about relating this to the people whoe work and live off the lands.

This is exactly why I asked you about your knowledge/experience in Thailand.

The poor farmers are the ones that suffer the most, and typically none of them have toilets that flush... they use a squat hong nam and a bowl to wash/flush, none of them are likely to have washing machines, or sprinkler systems, or hot water systems, or air conditioning, or gardens, or lawns, or car-washes etc....

Your conservation methods may work well in the western world where people in general are more affluent, but not for the poor farmers in Isaan.

It's exactly because the "poor farmers are the one that suffer the most" by drought, lack of native trees and forest, erosion, encroachment on to common lands by wealthy, etc. and other problems in Isaan, that they should be part of the solution and not seen as passive victims/bystanders or even perpetrators of the underlying problems causing deforestation. They often cop the blame, but are rarely properly consulted or given an adequate voice in the solutions to the problem. So I don't see any contradiction in the idea of seeking broad community involvement, especially that of children, in the protection of existing forests, plus regeneration and replanting of native variety forests (not plantations!), as Andrew is basically suggesting. While "Acorns & Oaks" can be substituted for local tree varieties, the principle of getting kids out there planting trees is good and universal the world over. :D

The idea that somehow "poor farmers" are incapable of planting trees or protecting forests is also out of touch Jaidee, although granted it takes a change in mindset and good understanding of local conditions, culture and outlooks to make it succeed. Getting city folks to cut their gross consumption habits (esp. of water) and look after the environment is far more of a challenge in my opinion. :o

Trees to act as ‘tsunami breaks’

PHUKET: -- Trees may be planted along the Andaman Coast to give some protection to the land from future tsunamis, Natural Resources and Environment Minister Yongyuth Tiyapairat said this weekend.

The Minister, on a visit to Phuket, said that buildings that had been sheltered from the sea by trees, particularly casuarinas, appeared to have suffered much less damage during the tsunami than those that had not.

Officials from the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources are now surveying the Andaman coastline and procuring trees that could be planted as natural “tsunami breaks”.

K. Yongyuth added, however, that the decision as to which trees should be planted should take into account their appropriateness for the surroundings.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-04-11

Thank you George and Plachon

This post is a breath of fresh air and reflects another thread to perfection.

Many people in many countires found themselves clinging to trees during the tsunami, in order to escape the oceans wrath.

However, many of the trees are now adrift or washed up on some beach, miles from their original habitat. The problem now is to replace these trees that have been uprooted or destroyed by the salinity as soon as possible, in order to give them the best possible chance of surviving the next tsunami.

Should we ignore the loss of these trees in favour of new buildings, concrete roads and huts, the devastation from the next one will undoubtedly be even more deadly.

But there is another reason that trees should be replanted along the coastlines, and that is to encourage moisture from the ocean to cross onto the land.

Today the drought, tomorrow the desert!

I have just received a very poitive email, informing me that our endevours to reforest Thailand have not fallen on deaf ears. The Pocket Full of Acorns project , together with the idea of a National Tree Planting week has now been forwarded to His Majesty the King Of Thailand

Andrew

cool, so soon i can plant trees in thailand in my kids' names here as bar mitzva presents =which kids hate at the time but appreciate when they're older actually ... mine always look for 'their' trees in the local forest plantings we did years ago....i'd like to take mly (far distant) grandkids to thailand and point at a teak tree or something and say, this i planted in your name

Trees to act as ‘tsunami breaks’

PHUKET: -- Trees may be planted along the Andaman Coast to give some protection to the land from future tsunamis, Natural Resources and Environment Minister Yongyuth Tiyapairat said this weekend.

The Minister, on a visit to Phuket, said that buildings that had been sheltered from the sea by trees, particularly casuarinas, appeared to have suffered much less damage during the tsunami than those that had not.

Officials from the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources are now surveying the Andaman coastline and procuring trees that could be planted as natural “tsunami breaks”.

K. Yongyuth added, however, that the decision as to which trees should be planted should take into account their appropriateness for the surroundings.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-04-11

Thank you George and Plachon

This post is a breath of fresh air and reflects another thread to perfection.

Many people in many countires found themselves clinging to trees during the tsunami, in order to escape the oceans wrath.

However, many of the trees are now adrift or washed up on some beach, miles from their original habitat. The problem now is to replace these trees that have been uprooted or destroyed by the salinity as soon as possible, in order to give them the best possible chance of surviving the next tsunami.

Should we ignore the loss of these trees in favour of new buildings, concrete roads and huts, the devastation from the next one will undoubtedly be even more deadly.

But there is another reason that trees should be replanted along the coastlines, and that is to encourage moisture from the ocean to cross onto the land.

Today the drought, tomorrow the desert!

I have just received a very poitive email, informing me that our endevours to reforest Thailand have not fallen on deaf ears. The Pocket Full of Acorns project , together with the idea of a National Tree Planting week has now been forwarded to His Majesty the King Of Thailand

Andrew

Andrew

I am very happy to hear about the email. His Majesty the King has realised many good projects already. As mentioned before forrestry research centers all over the country have variety of trees to give away. The next step will be realised. Good news.

THE INFLUENCE OF FORESTS ON RAINFALL Source: http://www.info.tdri.or.th/library/quarter...ext/forests.htm

Rainfall is generally believed to be a result of monsoonal effects. International evidence and simulation models suggest two conditions under which forests generate rainfall. First, montane forests in very high altitudes (2000 m+) can harvest clouds. In Thailand, this is confirmed at Doi Pui. Lekavijit (1982) investigated the effects of high altitude hill-evergreen forests on rainfall in Chiang Mai province, in northern Thailand. He recorded about 50 mm per year of additional annual rainfall in forested areas over and above cleared areas of the same altitude. Second, deforestation of vast tracts of land, i.e., more than 250,000 km2 could reduce the probability of rainfall from water cycling.

Salati et al. (1979) showed that forests in the Amazon Basin can engender precipitation in the basin itself. The basin acts not only as a source of its own moisture, but also triggers the rain-producing process. Widespread and permanent forest destruction may decrease the amount of rainfall in affected areas.

Ekern (1964) found that rainfall increased by almost 700 mm per year in tropical forests in highly elevated regions and at the coastal areas where high pressure from fog belts slows the movement of fog and makes it condense.

In Thailand, despite intense interest in this issue, little systematic research efforts have been encouraged, resulting in scant evidence which is not free from confounding factors and speculation, based on some theoretical reasoning and statistical analysis. Bunkert (1973) believed that when large areas of forests are encroached, the balance of nature can be altered, and natural phenomena in the forms of flood and drought frequently occur. Similarly, Tangkitjavisuth (1979) said that forest encroachment in northeastern Thailand can cause drought, as was recently seen in wild temperature fluctuations and frequent flooding in this region. Prachaiyo (1983) also supported the idea that large deforested areas inhibit the creation of water vapor or atmospheric moisture and bring on arid weather.

Chunkao (1979) believed that forests may add water vapor to the air by evapotranspiration and may increase rainfall in arid zones. High altitude forests can increase the likelihood of cold and warm air masses mixing, and consequently may contribute to condensation. This is especially true for mountainous forest areas where air temperature is usually low. Chunkao concluded that forests may have some influence on rainfall besides affecting topographic conditions and monsoon air circulation.

An investigation of the influence of forests on rainfall in depleted forest areas in Thailand was carried out by Tangtham and Sutthipibul (1988). They compared the changes in average regional rainfall with changes in forest cover in the northeast between 1951 and 1984. Yearly statistical analyses showed an insignificant relationship between monthly, seasonal and annual rainfall patterns and the remaining forest areas. In other words, there was no correlation between rainfall parameter and the percentage of remaining forest area, although annual rainfall generally exhibited a weak negative trend during the period under consideration. When considering time trends, statistical parameters obtained by using moving averages for 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 year periods indicate that rainfall has tended to decrease significantly as forest areas decrease, while the number of rainy days significantly increased.

The changes and variation in annual rainfall patterns in different regions of Thailand were also studied by Wongvitavas (1989). The relationship between rainfall and forest depletion was not studied. Wongvitavas recorded sharp decreases in annual rainfall in the central, northern and southwestern regions of the country. The same was true in the east, while the northeastern and southeastern regions showed a slight downtrend in rainfall

i did qualify that with: =

which kids hate at the time
:o

but they really do enjoy looking for the trees that we planted on all the tree days; we redo the signs every year , as we have sign contests and we measure the trees (width height etc) and let me tell you, olive trees grow very very slowly: ask the old arab guys, they plant olive trees for their great grandchildren to reap the benefits... this shows true patience, which most fast paced modern people seem to lack....

so if i want a tree, what can i choose from?? it has to be edible (to people)... and i want to know where its going to be planted, and who will take care of it, etc?.. and when can i come and visit, and most important, who will sponsor my visit to my lonely tree???

(sorry just laghing a bit about the american tourists that do plant trees in israel and then come to visit them (no joke) and want to see their specific tree and then get pic taken netx to it > as in, this is aunt ethel's tree, may god bless her memory, etc etc....)

Edited by bina

Drought The biggest danger for the future of Thailand

Another discussion on same subject at Bangkok Post

Date : Mar 18, 2005 07:29 AM

Author : harry

Subject : drought the biggest danger for the future of Thailand

At this moment their is a drought in 10 provinces. This is only the beginning. Because of the global warning up the snowcaps of the Himalaya are vanishing rapidly. India and China are one of the maine reasons for that. Together whit the US. Because they dont have an enviroment policy. Scientist expecting a general drought in India and south east Asia. Thailand is very vunerable because it will effect the rice producers. How Thailand can protect his future, because many of the tools to prevent this disaster are not in their hands. Bangkok is slowly sinking down, because they pumping too much water up.

Watt will be the future of Issan, already the most poor region in Thailand. Does the Thai goverment realise this problem. Do they have a long term plan? Does Thai people realise the danger?

Maybe we could ask them to join our thread?

6:23 PM PDT, April 16, 2005 E-mail story

Thailand Wages Air War Against Drought

AP Headlines

Thailand Wages Air War Against Drought

By RUNGRAWEE C. PINYORAT, Associated Press Writer

HUA HIN, Thailand — Planes stationed at airfields around Thailand take to the skies almost daily, flying sorties in a campaign of national importance -- a war on the country's worst drought in seven years.

They take off loaded down, not with bombs, but rainmaking chemicals -- prepared to specifications personally developed by King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who is commanding the operation.

On the flight line in this seaside town, aviators preparing for their flights wear uniforms with shoulder patches proudly describing their duty: "Cloud Attackers."

After loading up with the appropriate chemicals, a small Indonesian-made plane makes a morning takeoff and gains an altitude of 5,000 feet chasing some clouds, which can be hard to catch.

"If there is a strong wind, it can move the cloud away," pilot Jiti Tewan says.

Once their target is acquired, the crew begins spraying sodium chloride into the atmosphere through a tube at the rear of the plane.

"These are little clouds. We will have to create more clouds by forming a skeletal structure for water vapor to cling on to," says the technician, Sumol Butsaendee.

There are two more stages to go.

A few hours later pilots use a smaller aircraft to make a bumpy run through the lower layers of the clouds and spray out dry ice to "fatten" the clouds with greater humidity.

On a final run, other chemicals are sprayed to lower the clouds' temperature, which is supposed to trigger rain.

This year's drought, which is also affecting neighboring countries, has damaged 5.2 million acres of farmland, and caused $191 million in economic losses. Some rains in early April didn't dent the problem, and more than 9 million of the country's 63 million people in almost all of Thailand's 76 provinces are short of water.

Reservoirs in the poverty-stricken northeast, where most people farm for a living, are down to less than 8 percent of capacity. Many people are relying on trucked-in supplies of drinking water -- irrigating their fields is out of the question.

The revered 77-year-old king called the government's attention to the problem in early March, as it was becoming critical. That led the government to set up a rainmaking center at Hua Hin, the town 143 miles south of Bangkok where the king's summer palace is located.

The constitutional monarch, who for decades has studied and promoted water management as essential for development, was put in command and the center manages cloud-seeding flights from nine airfields around the country.

Cloud seeding, which dates back to the 1940s, is a controversial process among weather experts, with many scientists arguing that its efficacy is limited and unproven. But it is widely used all over the world.

Generally, it relies on such chemicals as silver iodide to form ice crystals that melt as they fall through a storm cloud.

In Thailand, cloud seeding has a powerful patron in the king, who is not only a promoter, but also an innovator. Based on his decades of study and observation, he has come up with his own cloud-seeding process.

His formula, invented in 1971, is now being considered for patents in the United States and Europe, says Wattana Sukarnjanaset, director of the Hua Hin Rainmaking Center.

Wattana says several Asian countries, including Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines and Sri Lanka, have sought technical assistance from Thailand for rainmaking.

A recent Interior Ministry report said the Thai rainmaking effort had helped ease the dearth of rain in six provinces that together account for 26 percent of the land affected by the drought.

But more than 4,000 villages nationwide do not have enough water for consumption, let alone farming.

So the Cloud Attackers continue the fight.

"We are happy when rain falls at the end of the day," says Jiti, the pilot

Edited by Andrew K Fletcher

like i said, the israelis made that same stupid mistake; the the israeli forestry people planted tons and tons of jerusalem pine and eucyllyptus.... nothing else can grow....

now the policy is a variegated planting of several native species, etc.... but just tree planting is not effective...

proper water management conservation and farming techniques are better short term plans for the near future

plachon waiting for links.... thanx

Hi Bina,

Couldn't find anything directly related to small community-based reafforestation projects in the sticks, but occasionally read about similar things in the Outlook section of the Bangkok Post. Mostly implemented by small Thai NGOs that don't necessarily have the skills or resources for a website or outside publicity, esp. not in English. Forest temples, esp. in Isaan, are other vital sites of biodiversity conservation and replanting. There is a National Tree Planting Day I think, but can't be sure if it coincides with world Environment Day (June 5th) or is totally seperate. For general info related to Thailand and the wider region, searches through links on the following sites may provide some interesting information if you have ample time:

www.cifor.cgiar.org

www.recoftc.org

www.forestsandcommunities.org

www.oxfammekong.org

www.asiaforestnetwork.org/tha

Anyone, seriously interested in forestry, water and natural resource-based issues in the Mekong region, could do worse than searching the back issues of Watershed, available from www.terraper.org, or looking up some hard-hitting reports on deforestation in the tropics and the facts behind the "pulp fiction" on World Rainforest Movements website - www.wrm.org.uy

Great reply in goats' defence. Much maligned creatures goats, and if well-managed, as you say, can be an important part of smallholder livelihoods and sensible agro-ecological management. Like human over-population problems, bad environmental management by other sectors will cut the carrying capacity of any given piece of land, causing problems for goat herds and their keepers, who then end up copping the blame. Literally scapegoats! :o