Gay Tolerant Christian Church Around Chiang Mai

Unfaithful

. . . I do however tend to agree with WinnieTheKhwai in that it is IMHO only new born babies who are without sin.

And I think that the bible might say something to that effect "maybe not in so many words"

It might, but it is my understanding that it does not - or at any rate many if not all strands of Christianity do not - regard even new-born babies as without sin. Whether or no, my views on the subject are not in any case Bible-related.

I think most of the Christians at the farang churches would just close themselves off to you. I go to one of them and I would not recommend you going there expecting them to accept you with open arms, embarrassingly enough. Not very Christ like, eh? Like Winnie said it is sin just like all of us sin. Unfortunately, Christians have put this giant stigma on this particular sin. If you and your partner are earnestly seeking the Lord though, screw what all the other hypocrites say and how they treat you.

I'm not Christian, but just because "all of us sin" does not mean Christians have to be tolerant of X, Y, Z, and opening all people with open arms. They are not hypocrites, all of us are not always warm at the idea of interacting with people who share different values.

And people who consider homosexuality to be a sin definitely don't share the same values as those who don't consider homosexuality to be a sin.

I was brought up as a catholic. Our religous teacher believed Jesus may have been gay. He explained that it would have been incredibly rare for a Jewish man of his age to be single, and he used to quote bits of the bible..'and he saw Peter and his heart warmed to him' as proof.

For my part I no longer practise any religious beliefs, and believe our catholic school teacher may now be doing time!

Iain

. . . Our religous teacher believed Jesus may have been gay. He . . . used to quote bits of the bible..'and he saw Peter and his heart warmed to him' as proof.

:) Do you think he meant that to be as, well, 'literal' and funny as it is?

snip ... I recant that statement. ... snip ... apparently jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun PeaceBlondie,

May I ask, out of curiousity, if your recantation was preceded by flagellation, or followed by any form of blood-letting ? I just recanted on some stupid remarks I made about CityLife magazine myself (in another thread : and the mods can't/won't remove them), and wonder if I have done it properly.

It fascinates me, by the way, that in English we say : "arrived at the correct conclusion;" but : "jumped to the wrong conclusion."

I believe I more often stumble upon the correct conclusion, but ensnare myself in the wrong conclusion.

And, yes, I do believe at times that I "jump" to the right conclusion rather the left conclusion depending on the laterality of my confusion, but such is the strange charm of quarks.

best, ~o:37;

Dear Khun Orang37,

Thank you for your useful observations. I always try to remember how important it is never to belittle or criticise anyone for jumping to conclusions. It is sometimes the only form of exercise they get.

Yours, etc.

Rass-putin

Isn't it true that Jesus never made even one mention of the subject of homosexuality? In any case, all of the Abrahamic religions are for the most part anti-gay.

I terms of religious doctrine (not my thinking) the above statement is crucial.

Jesus had no reason to mention the subject of homosexuality at all, because in his sermon on the mount he stated "I come not to destroy the law, but that the law be upheld" (or something like that).

Being a Jew and telling people that he has come to uphold the Jewish law would automatically include his thinking on homosexuality.....wouldn't it?

Isn't it true that Jesus never made even one mention of the subject of homosexuality? In any case, all of the Abrahamic religions are for the most part anti-gay.

I terms of religious doctrine (not my thinking) the above statement is crucial.

Jesus had no reason to mention the subject of homosexuality at all, because in his sermon on the mount he stated "I come not to destroy the law, but that the law be upheld" (or something like that).

Being a Jew and telling people that he has come to uphold the Jewish law would automatically include his thinking on homosexuality.....wouldn't it?

Jesus fulfilled the Law of Moses. Literally, Christians are not under the Law. Paul made that clear. I know of no evidence that Jews ever executed gays even though the Law required it. I see evidence that the early church was not anti-gay.

Jesus fulfilled the Law of Moses. Literally, Christians are not under the Law. Paul made that clear. I know of no evidence that Jews ever executed gays even though the Law required it. I see evidence that the early church was not anti-gay

Since there are no legal requirements for salvation, and our status with God supposed to be based solely on his saving grace through the redemptive work of Christ, are Christian's required to keep any laws of God, regardless of when they were made? Many quote Paul as saying that Christians are not under ‘the law’…that’s fair enough and easily understood….I think....so what law would they have been under then at that moment in time?

Even though Paul points out that Christians are not under ‘the law’ he nevertheless states in Galatians that Christians are obligated to "not gratify the desires of the sinful nature". He lists a number of behaviours, such as sexual immorality, idolatry and fits of rage that Christians should avoid. After listing these sinful behaviors, Paul ends by adding the phrase "and the like," which means he expects the Galatians to understand that the sinfulness of other behaviours also ought to be obvious.

What kind of sexual immorality and sinful behaviours could Paul be referring to…what was the criteria Paul is using here? We can only guess the exact nature, but its obvious there were sexual desires and acts that he classed as sinful and he must have had some kind of ‘law’ yardstick to use, unless he’s just passing a personal opinion.

Boy....I’m glad I went from being religious the being a non theist many moons ago – it’s all a bit too much like fairies and goblins at the bottom of the garden for me. :)

What kind of sexual immorality and sinful behaviours could Paul be referring to . . . he must have had some kind of ‘law’ yardstick to use, unless he’s just passing a personal opinion.

Something wrong with Paul having a personal opinion? :)

:) Doesn't the OP have a strange nickname for someone wishing to take his partner to a church?

My signature already provides my best contribution to this thread, except:

Boy....I’m glad I went from being religious the being a non theist many moons ago – it’s all a bit too much like fairies and goblins at the bottom of the garden for me. :D

What's wrong with Fairies and Goblins? I guarantee you they exist: I often find several of both species in MY garden :D Or worse still sometimes Fairies who look like Goblins (especially the morning after............. they seem to metamorphize over night)! :D

:) Doesn't the OP have a strange nickname for someone wishing to take his partner to a church?
Hi Payguy :D

Does Unfaithful want to take his partner to church? Or just be willing to mention when asked, that he has one or more boyfriends? But maybe he's trying to be faithful to God, and it's just a nikname.

What kind of sexual immorality and sinful behaviours could Paul be referring to . . . he must have had some kind of 'law' yardstick to use, unless he's just passing a personal opinion.

Something wrong with Paul having a personal opinion? :D

Paul had many personal opinions and thoughts I guess :) and despite his epithany I doubt if they all simply disappeared. When addressing crowds of people and rulers (not under the Hebrew law) he would need to be very careful what he said and have to stick mostly to solid, factual arguments that the people could understand and relate to, otherwise he would have no credibility or basis for his argument when questioned. So I believe he would have chosen his words carefully, stuck to the law which he knew so well and snuck the Christianity bit in where feasible....not forgetting of course that divinity might have put the 'right' words in his wouth when required.

So, moving on - what's the conclusion for the OP any luck on finding a suitable church? I hope you have because everyone has the right to follow their spiritual needs and it really is a pity that still today some (a lot) churches discriminate on the basis of many things including sexuality.....a terrible pity! :D

However, since we are human I guess this is to be expected and I still suggest you just try various places for yourself until you find one that is the least discriminatory or non discrimininatory and you feel comfortable.....good luck.

Have you explored to see if there any groups in Chiangmai that may have set up their own fellowship and worship that suits your needs, or maybe you could organise one?......remember......"where two or three are gathered together in my name that's where I am also".

You don't need a formal church. :D

. . . So, moving on - what's the conclusion for the OP any luck on finding a suitable church? I hope you have because everyone has the right to follow their spiritual needs. . . .

Other than, one hopes you would agree, those who fancy a bit of the old human sacrifice in satisfying their spiritual needs?

• 11 years later...
On 8/27/2009 at 9:35 PM, brennanstimpy said:

I think most of the Christians at the farang churches would just close themselves off to you. I go to one of them and I would not recommend you going there expecting them to accept you with open arms, embarrassingly enough. Not very Christ like, eh? Like Winnie said it is sin just like all of us sin. Unfortunately, Christians have put this giant stigma on this particular sin. If you and your partner are earnestly seeking the Lord though, screw what all the other hypocrites say and how they treat you.

I don't think a 'giant stigma' has been put on this particular sin. The doctrine of salvation requires believers to repent and to become regenerated. If you repent of a sin but knowingly continue to commit it for the rest of your life, you aren't regenerated and haven't truly repented. That's my understanding of the doctrine anyway.

@Unfaithful

There's no such thing as 'gay tolerant church' because both Christianity and Islam condemn gays. Note: I don't condemn gays.

In certain Muslim countries, there is even a death sentence or imprisonment.

Buddhism is tolerant to gay and you can even change your sex legally in Thailand if you want to.

So you might want to change your religion instead. Just suggesting....

Edited by EricTh