Airport Parking

JimGant

Twice now when I've gone to the airport, there was no parking -- even double or triple -- available! And I can't see where they may be expanding the parking lot.....?

Anyone know if parking expansion is included in the airport construction currently underway?

Speaking of parking -- I thought I saw a yellow "boot" attached to a wheel the other day. Does Chiang Mai boot illegal parkers? And what in the world (other than the red and white curbs) would illegal parking be, as it seems there are no real rules regarding this?

Twice now when I've gone to the airport, there was no parking -- even double or triple -- available! And I can't see where they may be expanding the parking lot.....?

Anyone know if parking expansion is included in the airport construction currently underway?

Speaking of parking -- I thought I saw a yellow "boot" attached to a wheel the other day. Does Chiang Mai boot illegal parkers? And what in the world (other than the red and white curbs) would illegal parking be, as it seems there are no real rules regarding this?

The latest I hear is that they will be moving the airport to the Sankamphaeng area, so I doubt the parking will be expanded before then.

Chiang Mai police have been using the yellow boots for many years now, been 'booted' myself on Praisani Rd near the flower vendors (fine: 200B). They use 'em wherever the curbs are painted red and white. There are three kinds of zones, far as I can tell: no painting or black & white, parking allowed (subject to times of day, if posted); yellow and white, good for loading passengers or cargo, driver must be present at all times; red and white, no parking. These zones are enforced fairly regularly in the city centre, especially in Chiang Mai's 'Chinatown' and near Kat Luang. Pretty lax elsewhere.

Recently notice clearway signs along roads where the kerb stones have no markings; usually underneath is a time-enforced plate restricting the restrictions to peak-traffic times.I'm sure 'not noticing' won't be an acceptable excuse if clamped.

Thanks for the info on 'boots' What did you do when you got booted? Just seek the nearest cop?

You said: "The latest I hear is that they will be moving the airport to the Sankamphaeng area, so I doubt the parking will be expanded before then."

Now, that's a new rumor. Why, then, are they spending all that money upgrading the current airport?

You said:  "The latest I hear is that they will be moving the airport to the Sankamphaeng area, so I doubt the parking will be expanded before then."

Now, that's a new rumor. Why, then, are they spending all that money upgrading the current airport?

Actually, moving the airport to Sankamphaeng is an old rumour. That idea has been around for a while (mid-90's?). I don't know that any firm decision has been made regarding a new Chiang Mai airport but look at it this way, if it takes as long to construct a new airport in Chiang Mai as it has taken in Bangkok, we should be looking at a grand opening date of sometime around 2050. Maybe some new parking space at the old airport in the meantime would be a good idea? :o

There was something on Thai tv a few nights ago about the new airport being at Ban Thi, south of SK in Lamphun province. I think this is more than a rumour now. There's also a "new city" to be constructed in SK. New "people's housing" (not private housing projects) already under construction on new SK road.

Thanks for the info on 'boots' What did you do when you got booted? Just seek the nearest cop?

You said:  "The latest I hear is that they will be moving the airport to the Sankamphaeng area, so I doubt the parking will be expanded before then."

Yep, I sought out the nearest cop, he took my driver's license hostage, and I had to tuk-tuk down to the police station to pay the fine and retrieve my license. The station than radioed a beat cop who unlocked the boot before I returned to my car.

I've heard about the new airport from someone who is directly linked to the thetsabaan office, so as far as I'm concerned it's more than 'rumour'. I understand that the current renovations at the airport are a temporary stopgap measure.

• 6 months later...