ดิน

Boon Mee

The general word for "Dirt" is ดิน

and it can be described in several ways:

* ดินเผา "din pao" - baked, hard clay.

* ดินเหนียว "din nieow" - clay

* ดินทราย "din sai" - sandy soil

* ดินเปรียว "din bprieo" - acid or sour soil.

Can anyone give the exact translation for "Top Soil"?

The kind I'm after is the dark, rich stuff.

ขอบคุณมากครับ

บุญมี

If you mean top soil which is dark and good for planting, it is หน้าดิน

ดินดำ mostly mean gunpowder.

If you mean top soil which is dark and good for planting, it is หน้าดิน

ดินดำ mostly mean gunpowder.

I though gunpowder was ดินปืน (dirt gun) ?

Yes,it is.

ดินดำ the main meaning is gunpower. And it's used for calling Ball clay and sometimes for top soil(because of the color) but the correct word for top soil is หน้าดิน. You may ofen saw it's written as "รับซื้อ ขาย หน้าดิน ลูกรัง ฯลฯ"

Edited by yoot

Yes,it is.

ดินดำ the main meaning is gunpower. And it's used for calling Ball clay and sometimes for top soil(because of the color) but the correct word for top soil is หน้าดิน. You may ofen saw it's written as "รับซื้อ ขาย หน้าดิน ลูกรัง ฯลฯ"

Thanks for the help, yoot! :o

Yes,it is.

I'm still a bit confused... I asked a Thai friend, and she said, yes, 'naa din' is the surface soil, but doesn't imply quality, just that it's surface soil... Whereas 'din dam' is the darker and higher quality soil, also naturally found on the surface. If it was a case of looking to buy good quality 'topsoil' for planting, she wouldn't use 'naa din', but 'din dam' instead... Or 'din luen', which is potting soil, I gather...

Does what my friend said sound right, or not? It ain't my language, either :o

I'm still a bit confused... I asked a Thai friend, and she said, yes, 'naa din' is the surface soil, but doesn't imply quality, just that it's surface soil... Whereas 'din dam' is the darker and higher quality soil, also naturally found on the surface. If it was a case of looking to buy good quality 'topsoil' for planting, she wouldn't use 'naa din', but 'din dam' instead... Or 'din luen', which is potting soil, I gather...

Does what my friend said sound right, or not? It ain't my language, either 

'din dam' Or 'din luen' is part of หน้าดิน(top soil).

To talk about top soil in everywhere it's called หน้าดิน. If it fulls of organic chemistry,the color of it will be dark so sometimes it's named 'din dam'. But as I have mentioned 'din dam' has many meanings itself ,hence you say 'din dam' it wouldn't be clear. But if you say หน้าดิน everyone know what it is ,but the qualtily of it depends on the place. If top soil is in good quality so it's good for planting.(ดินที่มีหน้าดินอุดมสมบูรณ์ เหมาะสำหรับการเพาะปลูก) It doesn't matter the color of it is dark or not. This means for farm. But if talking about planting at home and you want to buy soil for your planting,you have to tell the seller that you want 'din dam' . This 'din dam' doesn't mean top soil but it's mixed-soil( it's the mix-up from top soil and other things or it may be top soil which the quality is good enough till doesn't need to mix-up) HTH

Edited by yoot

To talk about top soil in everywhere it's called หน้าดิน. If it fulls of organic chemistry,the color of it will be dark so sometimes it's named 'din dam'. But as I have mentioned 'din dam' has many meanings itself ,hence you say 'din dam' it wouldn't be clear. But if you say หน้าดิน everyone know what it is ,but the qualtily of it depends on the place. If top soil is in good quality so it's good for planting.(ดินที่มีหน้าดินอุดมสมบูรณ์ เหมาะสำหรับการเพาะปลูก) It doesn't matter the color of it is dark or not. This means for farm. But if talking about planting at home and you want to buy soil for your planting,you have to tell the seller that you want 'din dam' . This 'din dam' doesn't mean top soil but it's mixed-soil( it's the mix-up from top soil and other things or it may be top soil which the quality is good enough till doesn't need to mix-up) HTH

Thanks, yoot, for taking the time to explain the general terms and specific context vocab so fully, which also agrees generaly with what my friend said, it seems. Boy it sure is hard to read the tiny Thai fonts, even with my glasses on :D

Thanks, too, for hanging out here and helping the us learn more of the Thai language. I'm often easily confused by it. :o

Thanks, yoot, for taking the time to explain the general terms and specific context vocab so fully, which also agrees generaly with what my friend said, it seems. Boy it sure is hard to read the tiny Thai fonts, even with my glasses on :D

Thanks, too, for hanging out here and helping the us learn more of the Thai language. I'm often easily confused by it. :o

My hat off to you as well, yoot, for the explainations.

Thank you sir! :D