Thai Language Learning Methods

Thaiboxer

Hi Folks...it was suggested that I move a post in regards to the Thai language into this forum. Here it is:

How come you never post on the Thai language forum?

Lazy..or just not willing to share your tricks?

Just not willing to share them with you Toasty!:o Just joking.

I usually don't visit the language forum but perhaps I should...I know a few tricks for remembering words/phrases but there are so many more to learn. The grammar stuff mentioned by Neeranam is new to me...perhaps Thai isn't as simple as I once thought. Still,I think the tones are the toughest part. With different intonation, the word "mai" can be used enough times to say: "New wood doesn't burn, does it?" Learning a few words daily is always a plus.

Speaking of tricks I know, here are two:

1.) Association...learned this one from my Spanish teacher in high school. Associating certain things with certain letters/words helps me to remember my Thai. King Ramkamhaeng designed the consonants in the Thai alphabet so that many are similar in shape. "Dor dek" and "Dto' Dtao" are identical except for the little notch in the top of "Dto Dtao". If you can remember one, it's not hard to remember the other one. For words, take "maa" and "maa'". The high tone is the horse and the rising tone is the dog. The horse stands higher than the dog, so that's how you know which "maa" to say.

2.) Writing...simply writing lines of what you need to remember; over and over and over again. Time consuming I know, but it's the same method I used to go from nearly an "F" to a "B" in Spanish II in one semester. Despite not having studied high school Spanish for nearly 12 years, I can still remember some of those Spanish vocab words and rules very clearly.

With the Thai alphabet being more difficult to write than English, the second method I mentioned would be even more time consuming but may help some people.

I just remembered...if you check the main corridors in the big shopping malls, you will usually find a section that sells Kindergarten Thai language books and other learning aides. For less than 400 baht you can select up to 20 large, (about 100cm X 30cm) laminated charts which contain consonants, vowels, days of the week, household objects, types of sports, etc. The vocab words will feature the English equivalent making it easy to learn by association. Since all pages are double-sided, you get 40 pages total. You can learn just like the kids do..with "Dto Dtao" showing the turtle, etc. The characters are clear and easy to recognize...not like the characters used in modern advertising. The mall staff will bind the pages together for you making a nice book. Also, for 15 or 20 baht, you can pick up alphabet books that teach you how to write the characters using arrows to guide you.

If you have a Thai friend or family member who can work with you, this may be a cheaper alternative to taking a language course and most of those language schools are located way downtown.

I just remembered...if you check the main corridors in the big shopping malls, you will usually find a section that sells Kindergarten Thai language books and other learning aides. For less than 400 baht you can select up to 20 large, (about 100cm X 30cm) laminated charts which contain consonants, vowels, days of the week, household objects, types of sports, etc. The vocab words will feature the English equivalent making it easy to learn by association. Since all pages are double-sided, you get 40 pages total. You can learn just like the kids do..with "Dto Dtao" showing the turtle, etc. The characters are clear and easy to recognize...not like the characters used in modern advertising. The mall staff will bind the pages together for you making a nice book. Also, for 15 or 20 baht, you can pick up alphabet books that teach you how to write the characters using arrows to guide you.

Good idea for a total beginner. I learn a lot from Thai kids, and my own. I am learning to read like a kid does. I can read most words but now working on recognising the bigger words. I guess I am at around prathom 5 level for reading, but certainly not writing, more like Prathom 3.