Thai Citizenship

How many farangs have PR or citizenship  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

<span style='color:blue'>Just out of curiosity, how many males out there have managed to acquire Thai citizenship? Also has your lives really been changed to since you got it? I know that foreign women married to Thais, can technically get citizenship, and I have come across one or two. Though I have yet to come across a foreign male who has Thai citizenship, even though they may have been married and living here for over 20 years.</span>

Edited by astral
Adding the poll

"Technically" is definitely the right answer. I have tried, and failed. Not because of any qualification limitations but because the provincial police are unaware that any of them can do the job! We went to apply, and noone knew how to do it! They just shook their heads, said "Not me!" and suggested we try Immigration (it must be done through the police). Will keep trying!

There is at least one TV member who does have citizenship (male) that I know of. Lots of requirements but, apparently, doable (if you live in Bangkok :o )

"Technically" is definitely the right answer. I have tried, and failed. Not because of any qualification limitations but because the provincial police are unaware that any of them can do the job! We went to apply, and noone knew how to do it! They just shook their heads, said "Not me!" and suggested we try Immigration (it must be done through the police). Will keep trying!

There is at least one TV member who does have citizenship (male) that I know of. Lots of requirements but, apparently, doable (if you live in Bangkok :o )

Its amusing how some people sound off without bothering to do the most basic and elementary research.You cannot apply to be a citizen without the necessary prerequisite of having had permanent residence for 10 years (though I believe this number may have been reviewed.)

Its amusing how some people sound off without bothering to do the most basic and elementary research.You cannot apply to be a citizen without the necessary prerequisite of having had permanent residence for 10 years (though I believe this number may have been reviewed.)

SBK, I know that from your previous postings you have been married and living here for 16 years. Therefore would it be safe to assume that you have already met the above mentioned criteria? Boris I have known someone who has been a permanent resident here for 20 and has applied for the citizenship and has still not got it!

Sourerly ,somebody with your knowledge and intellect would know the answer to this question already Boris.

I wonder why people use these forums for advice at all with continual put down retorts like yours.

I know two farang guys with Thai citizenship and one on the way to getting it. One guy owns companies and has a Thai wife and teenage kids. My guess is he went for citizenship because he publishes magazines and you need to be a Thai citizen to be editor of a publication here. I think the main reason farangs go for citizenship is so that they can own land in their own name.

Well to get a thai citezenship you will have to know the BIG PEOPLE Personaly...Work for cummunity and be seen...

BIG people e.g Govenor,Member of PArliment,generals etc...

ive knowns a couple of friends here that got his citezenship that way.....

And there is 1 thai current national football player who is born in malaysia and has been living in the south for several years playing in the province league...he was offered to be a thai citezen and play football for the country ...He took the offer...But it's not shown on the media....he was given the thai passport 5 years ago....

It's also amusing how some people jump to conclusions. Boris, I am a woman married to a Thai man, I do not need the permanent residency requirement. I have researched this, talked to the Special Branch Police in Bangkok who do this (for Bangkok residents) so do not assume that I don't know what I am talking about!

As far as I know, it is more than a nudge nudge wink wink thing and Thai Visa has a page with the requirements on it.

• Like 1

Checked back into the info I had saved on my computer about citizenship requirements and found this:

In case of applying for Thai citizenship through Thai husband

1. Same document as in general case

2. Certified letter from special branch division or the concerned provincial

police station

3. A photocopy of husband's house registration

4. A photocopy of husband's indntification card

5. Interrogation report

6. Application must be made in person

and from the Thai visa website:

To acquire Thai nationality

Aliens who wish to apply for Thai nationality under the Nationality Act B.E. 2508 (A.D. 1965) a person does NOT need to be 40 years or have spent 10 years in Thailand.

They must be of the age of majority, be of good character, be gainfully employed, have continuously lived in Thailand for not less than FIVE years and have knowledge of the Thai language. (Section 10) It's an advantage to be married to a Thai citizen and having children born in Thailand or having studied in a local university/college as an undergraduate. The applicant must complete an application form and submit various required documents to the Criminal Investigation Division Group I, Subdivision 3, Police Department, Rama I Road, Bangkok.

The official fee is Baht 5,000. The processing takes 2 to 3 years.

In the case of a minor child sponsored by a mother or father having Thai nationality, there must be evidence of both sponsorship and the child's birth. Likewise, a wife seeking Thai citizenship based on her husband's Thai nationality must submit evidence of the husband's nationality, the marriage, and a formal request for Thai citizenship.

So, I guess, basic research shows the 10 year permanent residency idea is also a fallacy. Or just from someone who doesn't take the time to perform basic and elementary research?

• Like 2

I know two farang guys with Thai citizenship and one on the way to getting it. One guy owns companies and has a Thai wife and teenage kids. My guess is he went for citizenship because he publishes magazines and you need to be a Thai citizen to be editor of a publication here. I think the main reason farangs go for citizenship is so that they can own land in their own name.

just curious... but can you name the publication? I'd be interested in knowing what it is.

Checked back into the info I had saved on my computer about citizenship requirements and found this:

In case of applying for Thai citizenship through Thai husband

1.  Same document as in general case

2.    Certified letter from special branch division or the concerned provincial 

police station

3.    A photocopy of husband's house registration

4.    A photocopy of husband's indntification card

5.    Interrogation report

6.    Application must be made in person

and from the Thai visa website:

To acquire Thai nationality

Aliens who wish to apply for Thai nationality under the Nationality Act B.E. 2508 (A.D. 1965) a person does NOT need to be 40 years or have spent 10 years in Thailand.

They must be of the age of majority, be of good character, be gainfully employed, have continuously lived in Thailand for not less than FIVE years and have knowledge of the Thai language. (Section 10) It's an advantage to be married to a Thai citizen and having children born in Thailand or having studied in a local university/college as an undergraduate. The applicant must complete an application form and submit various required documents to the Criminal Investigation Division Group I, Subdivision 3, Police Department, Rama I Road, Bangkok. 

The official fee is Baht 5,000. The processing takes 2 to 3 years. 

In the case of a minor child sponsored by a mother or father having Thai nationality, there must be evidence of both sponsorship and the child's birth. Likewise, a wife seeking Thai citizenship based on her husband's Thai nationality must submit evidence of the husband's nationality, the marriage, and a formal request for Thai citizenship.

So, I guess, basic research shows the 10 year permanent residency idea is also a fallacy. Or just from someone who doesn't take the time to perform basic and elementary research?

Well done sbk :o

Bill Heinke(sp), the Minor Group Chief has it.

Loads of foreigners have PR.

I read an interview piece in the Nation newspaper years ago. He said that his main reason for accquiring Thai citizenship (renouncing US citizenship) was to avoid double taxation. Now he is only taxed in Thailand.

They're picking on you again, Boris me old boy! :D

It's also amusing how some people jump to conclusions. Boris, I am a woman married to a Thai man, I do not need the permanent residency requirement. I have researched this, talked to the Special Branch Police in Bangkok who do this (for Bangkok residents) so do not assume that I don't know what I am talking about!

As far as I know, it is more than a nudge nudge wink wink thing and Thai Visa has a page with the requirements on it.

I apologise.I had not realised your particular circumstances and you are quite right that in the case of being married to a Thai man, PR is not a necessary step to citizenship.Sorry to have been so abrupt also.

I thing the simple answer here is that no-one knows, cause there are not many people who get it. I am sure however the key to getting it is simple patience and persistence and taking it one step at a time.

My old boss for instance, an Australian, recently got PR after one failed attempt. It took him quite a few trips down to Suan Phlu to make sure his application was in order and he was just generally patiently at plugging away at the application over the space of 2 years. Even though the rules are pretty well laid out, he took the time to see that his evidence was acceptable as well and to make sure that the application was going to the right people.

Now that he has his PR, no doubt his mind has turned to getting citizenship. Given that I know him fairly well he will no doubt be gently quizzing the Suan Phlu people to find out ‘exactly’ what he needs to do.

Given that this approach has served him very well in Thailand in achieving his career goals, I have no doubt that he will eventually get his citizenship as well.

For man people like us Farang Businessman who does not know any big people in BKK will be very hard to get a PR... This is because the People at Suan Plu like to missplace the document alot....

So if onky any1 knows some1 big than the lower people in Suan Plu will be alert

For man people like us Farang Businessman  who does not know any big people in BKK will be very hard to get a PR... This is because the People at Suan Plu like to missplace the document alot....

So if onky any1 knows some1 big than the lower people in Suan Plu will be alert

&lt;deleted&gt;????????? :o

tiger woods declined it - as did vanessa may, didnt she?

Why would Miss V MAY WANT THAI CITIZENSHIP???? She is Chinese (Hong kong).

She probably has no practical need for Thai citizenship.

FULL NAME:

Vanessa-Mae Vanakorn Nicholson

PARENTAGE:

mother Chinese, father Thai & her English adopted father

BORN:

Singapore, moved to London aged 4