Phuket Governor Threatens Legal Actions Against Jet Ski Rental Shops

george

Phuket governor threatens legal actions against jet ski rental shops

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Wichai Praisangob has instructed police to take actions against jet ski rental shop owners for overcharging foreign tourists.

Wichai said a Japanese tourist was recently charged Bt50,000 after his rented jet ski broke down in the sea. He sought help from the authorities and the governor sent officials to talk to the shop owner who eventually agreed to reduce the charge to Bt3,000.

He said some shop owners even threatened to seize passports of the tourists.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-02

Yes, any attempt to regulate these folk into acting within 'acceptable' boundaries is good news.

Soooo many tourists have reported bad incidents with these types of stores. Sounds like the Japanese guy did the right thing, stood tall and didn't just say "well, TiT..." - good on him.

Only action I've ever seen the police take is to tell the people to pay the jet ski operators what they are asking. I'm sure later that evening the local BIB gets his cut. Every time I've seen the police involved, it appears that they know the jet ski boys pretty well.

Call me sceptical, but I can't see the BIB's and the jet ski boys losing out on this revenue stream for long.

Only action I've ever seen the police take is to tell the people to pay the jet ski operators what they are asking. I'm sure later that evening the local BIB gets his cut. Every time I've seen the police involved, it appears that they know the jet ski boys pretty well.

Call me sceptical, but I can't see the BIB's and the jet ski boys losing out on this revenue stream for long.

Neither can I. The only solution is to ban them.

For sure the MIB get a cut, 10 % I was told, not only of the scams but all the income from the jetskis, that is from the horses mouth

There are too very simple solutions to the jet-ski and the tulk-tuk racket, and if the governor is serious he will do something about it:

1. The tuk-tuks must be made to carry meters like the taxis in Bangkok

2. The jet-skis, other than banning them outright, and obviously this option is not working, must be made to carry insurance for damage suffered while being rented. If they do, the insurance can pay for the damage, and if they do not, then they must pay themselves. The rental contract must carry a clause that the machine is insured against damage while be used by the renter. There should be signs all over the rental area saying that all jet-skis are insured and no renter need to pay for damage. Simple, is it not?

If you are stupid enough to hire a jetski after all the bad publicity there is no way you should have to pay for a jetski that breaks down at sea, the reason it broke down is poor maintenance by the owner, the owner should be compensating the hirer, yes i know pigs might fly to.