Talented 12 Yr Old Boy's Dreams Shot Down

jaapfries

A Burmese boy born in Thailand was unable to hold back tears yesterday when the Interior Ministry refused to support his request for a Thai passport.

Mong Thongdee, 12, needs the travel document to fulfil his dream of competing in the upcoming Origami Airplane Contest in Japan. The event takes place on September 19 and 20 in Chiba.

"I understand the authorities' decision," the boy said tearfully. "But I feel very upset."

Passport denied

Mong has been denied Thai citizenship because his parents, though working legally in Thailand, are Burmese.

"As an alien, he may not be allowed back in to Thailand if he leaves the country," Provincial Administration Department director general Wongsak Sawaspanich said yesterday.

He said the Interior Ministry could not relax the laws for Mong, a Grade-4 student at the Ban Huai Sai School in Chiang Mai.

Paper plane contest

Mong was invited to compete in Japan after his paper-plane design stayed airborne for more than 12 minutes to win a local contest. His school director, Duangrit Petima, then decided to help the boy by accompanying him to Bangkok to meet relevant authorities.

Aside from the Provincial Administration Department, Duangrit and Mong also called on the Foreign Affairs Ministry.

Ministries desperate to help

Ministry spokesman Wimon Kidchob said they would issue a temporary passport for Mong only if the Interior Ministry gave its approval.

Only two non-Thai nationals had been granted such a document, said Wimon.

Wongsak said his department had to stick to the laws; if an exception were made for Mong, it would create a loophole that others could exploit.

"We must take laws and national security into account no matter how much we want to help," Wongsak said.

After hearing the discussion between Wongsak and his school director, Mong looked distraught.

"I have practised so hard. It's a huge disappointment to miss out on the trip to Japan," he said.

But he is refusing to be discouraged.

"I will continue practising. I also want to send my best wishes to the Thai representative who will be competing Japan. But I hope that one day I'll be able to travel for such contests too."

A Burmese boy born in Thailand was unable to hold back tears yesterday when the Interior Ministry refused to support his request for a Thai passport.

Wongsak said his department had to stick to the laws; if an exception were made for Mong, it would create a loophole that others could exploit.

"We must take laws and national security into account no matter how much we want to help," Wongsak said.

Two observations here:

1. How can a 12 year old little boy POSSIBLY represent a National Security Risk ? ? ?

2. What about "Birth Right"; I was under te impression that if a person is born in a particular country, that that person AUTOMATICALLY has the right to CITIZENSHIP of that particular country ? Does this international law NOT apply in Thailand ???????

:)

Edited by jaapfries

Although I sympathise with the lads plight of not being free to travel and his lack of citizenship, I do wonder how important an international paper plane contest is?

I got a clip round the ear'ole for making paper planes in school - quite rightly too.

Although I am married to a Thai and I have been living here for 20 years I don't have any rights to citizenship either, and I can flick a bogey 51.7metres. Which as far as I know would entitle me to represent my adopted country at the world championships. I have written to the minister of sports but so far no answer.

Edited by KevinHunt

2. What about "Birth Right"; I was under te impression that if a person is born in a particular country, that that person AUTOMATICALLY has the right to CITIZENSHIP of that particular country ? Does this international law NOT apply in Thailand ???????[/size][/b]

:)

I thought Birth Right was a United States (US) thing. I am fairly sure they are one of the few countries that grant citizenship to all those born there. A huge problem if you were born there to say expat parents, as you will of course be expected to contribute to the US Inland Revenue Service even if you have never lived or worked there since birth.

Iain

Although I sympathise with the lads plight of not being free to travel and his lack of citizenship, I do wonder how important an international paper plane contest is?

I got a clip round the ear'ole for making paper planes in school - quite rightly too.

Although I am married to a Thai and I have been living here for 20 years I don't have any rights to citizenship either, and I can flick a bogey 51.7metres. Which as far as I know would entitle me to represent my adopted country at the world championships. I have written to the minister of sports but so far no answer.

Best of luck with your quest.

51.7 metres "that's gotta be a world record" was it wind assisted :)

I think too, that the kid might benefit by a bit of guidance. Sure he is disappointed and most will appreciate that.

Edited by john b good

Local bogey flick competition?

From another thread it appears the manageress at Mad Dog is certainly picking them, if she flicks as well we have the making of an inter pub challenge.

Iain

It is a typical example of government officials using red tape and ridiculous rules, instead of what should be common sense. Of course common sense is not common when it refers to government officials. But, Thailand is not alone in paper laws getting in the way of practicality. I see it all the time in Canada. Our officials couldn't manage a bathtub full of rubber ducks. At least the kid got recognitian for what he's been able to accomplish so far. As some pundit once said..."The law is an ass."

It is a typical example of government officials using red tape and ridiculous rules, instead of what should be common sense. Of course common sense is not common when it refers to government officials. But, Thailand is not alone in paper laws getting in the way of practicality. I see it all the time in Canada. Our officials couldn't manage a bathtub full of rubber ducks. At least the kid got recognitian for what he's been able to accomplish so far. As some pundit once said..."The law is an ass."

I feel that the ass is in fact the official who made the decision to prevent the kid from travelling. And as for those who make odious comments about flicking snot I cannot find words to express my contempt. A competition such as this stimulates interest in things scientific and could lead to the development of an education path & worthwhile employment, so don't knock it because in an adult world it appears to be insiginificant. Thailand is hardly richly endowed with scientific talent is it! We have to endure technological incompetence daily with Maxnet performance amongst others. So do not knock a kid who did not choose his parents, did not choose to live here and who is being subjected to the discriminatory and racist attitudes of a petty minded adiminstrative dolt. It belittles all who write such drivel on TV.

Anyone that can make a paper aeroplane stay in the air for 12 minutes certainly gets my vote as kid worth hanging on to - sounds like he's able to think for himself, which is a rare quality.

The planes I make usually nose dive after throwing, at about a distance of 2 metre's (1.15 sec)!

Does anyone know any more about this plane - how does it get airborne etc?