Immigration Bureau Moves To Chaengwattana Road

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the way they give instructions on how to get there by bus, as if anyone's actually going to use them!

I gave up on taxis long ago. I have no problem taking the bus to get anywhere in greater BKK. What can I say, I'm a cheap SOB, and as an aging (mature?) student I always have lots of reading to get through.

Some of yours sound bitter.

We should be very happy.

It cannot be worst than Suan Phlu.

As soon as there is a car park, this is the paradise.

I go often there as I have a friend in the area. It cannot be better, honest!

By car / taxi: you have an highway on the left, an highway on the right.

From Morchit / Chatuchak MRT BTS stations, it's only 15 minutes. Maybe less.

Well it's definitely worse if you live near Suan Plu and have to embark on an hour+ each way journey for whatever (90 report, extension, undr consideration result, re-entry permit). Chaeng Wattana is still an undeveloped hel_l hole. The traffic is bad, parts of the road are still under construction and the only bus option for people from down town is small van from Mor chit bts station.

Sorry for the dumb question... the pdf file said the move is for 'sub-division 1'. It then listed the following services: residence certificate, visa and alien registration. For a humble foreigner who wishes to do his 90 day report, is this alien registration? Do I go to the new place or stay at Suan Plu?

Cheers.

Dantilley: I'll be happy to try to get there by bus -- I'll send you a trip report in early October. May not be as bad as you think.

Cheers,

I quite often take the bus from Mor Chit BTS to Chaengwattana Road if I am not in the car. It's easy and cheap although the number 52 can be a bit slow and hot at times.

Another option is the train, a local train from Hua Lamphong to Laksi takes 40 minutes and costs 4 baht, follow that with a 10 baht motorbike taxi to the new immigration office and it's a pretty cheap trip!

Yes, bus 52 will get you there, but no A/C and VERY slow. Better to take A/C 29, or A/C 510 from Vict. Monmt. Then, take a motorcy.

But, the motorcy will be more like 40 baht, not 10. Very easy trip from Victory Monument, maybe 45-50 minutes total. I work at TOT on

ChaengWattana nearer to Vipawadi. Very easy trip in the am hours since ALL the traffic is heading the other way into Bangkok.

The new gov't building will be on the same side of the road as your are heading there,

you CAN'T miss it......HUGE COMPLEX!!! Brand new, very impressive.

Edited by templedog

Sorry for the dumb question... the pdf file said the move is for 'sub-division 1'. It then listed the following services: residence certificate, visa and alien registration. For a humble foreigner who wishes to do his 90 day report, is this alien registration? Do I go to the new place or stay at Suan Plu?

Cheers.

I have no idea what the mean by alien registration.

The will do everything they did before. Nothing will change in that respect.

Edited by ubonjoe

Building B,

Bangkok Government Center,

Chaengwattana Road (close to the Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chaengwattana Road.)

BANGKOK

but what do I tell the taxi driver?? !!!! as far as I remember, chang wattana is a VERY VERY long road!!! what is the address??!!!!

surely there is more to the address than above? coz not every taxi driver is going to know where the bangkokm giovernment centre is!! (let alone understand it in english!)

If driving, head north along the Vibhavawadi Road elevated expressway to Don Muang and come off at the second Chaeng Wattana exit (there are two, the first one I thinks says "Pakret" which goes down to the lower level underneath the expressway making it hard to turn left across the railway line into Chaeng Wattana). The second exit takes you straight on to Chaeng Wattana Road. The first large building on the left is I think the Defence Ministry, then look for Telephone Organisation of Thailand HQ, also on the left followed by the CAT HQ. Slow down here as The Foreign Ministry, again on the left, is very close and is well marked. The new Immigration office is in the same compound as the Foreign Ministry. Park in the extended carpark where the guards will be happy to direct you to the right place.

hope this helps.

Roger :)

If driving, head north along the Vibhavawadi Road elevated expressway to Don Muang and come off at the second Chaeng Wattana exit (there are two, the first one I thinks says "Pakret" which goes down to the lower level underneath the expressway making it hard to turn left across the railway line into Chaeng Wattana). The second exit takes you straight on to Chaeng Wattana Road. The first large building on the left is I think the Defence Ministry, then look for Telephone Organisation of Thailand HQ, also on the left followed by the CAT HQ. Slow down here as The Foreign Ministry, again on the left, is very close and is well marked. The new Immigration office is in the same compound as the Foreign Ministry. Park in the extended carpark where the guards will be happy to direct you to the right place.

hope this helps.

Roger :)

I think it's the other way around, the first exit is for Chaengwattana and you don't want to take that one. The second one is sign posted for Pakret. They recently updated the sign to include the government complex but that is in Thai only, useful for a taxi driver though.

From what I understand they will be locking the doors at Suan Plu.

Map can be found here. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php...26t%3Dh%26z%3D6

Has anyone confirmed that (ThaiVisa) map location? It looks nothing like the building shown on Immigration handout (at least in Google). The new complex to the west of MFA however seems to fit and would be sharing parking area.

Edited by lopburi3

From what I understand they will be locking the doors at Suan Plu.

Map can be found here. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php...26t%3Dh%26z%3D6

Has anyone confirmed that (ThaiVisa) map location? It looks nothing like the building shown on Immigration handout (at least in Google). The new complex to the west of MFA however seems to fit and would be sharing parking area.

The map pin seems to be on the DSI building, the new complex is just past the MFA. I don't think anybody will have trouble finding it, the MFA is quite easy to spot and then there is a huge new building with sloping sides, a raised driveway to the entrance and palm trees planted outside. Even if you go past it the first time there are u-turns close by so you can turn around for another attempt.

Would the MFA be where my wife got her new passport?

In which case I've been there. :)

Yes, the MFA consulair section is one of the places where people go for a Thai passport or for legalisations of documents, such as the letter from your embassy to get married.

...but what do I tell the taxi driver?? !!!! as far as I remember, chang wattana is a VERY VERY long road!!! what is the address??!!!!...

I belive house numbers are used in Chaeng Watthana, but unfortunately the press release of the Immigration Bureau does not include this detail.

...Is the Bangkok Government Centre before or after the Consular Affairs entrance when coming from the Don Muang - Ayutthaya expressway?...
The map pin seems to be on the DSI building, the new complex is just past the MFA...

I need help in putting the placemark on Google Maps in the correct place. When the new Chaeng Watthana location was first mentioned many months ago the best reference I had was the indication that it was next to the Department of Consular Affairs but their map is rather rudimentary (http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=5...isp=attd&zw)

If anybody knows for sure the exact location of the building that houses the immigration office I would be grateful if he could guide me. At this point I am not even sure if it is between Sois 7 and 9, or between Sois 9 and 11. The simplest way to give me the exact coordinates is as follows:

1. Click on this link: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&c...f03d84d91df360b
  2. Right-click on the correct spot for the new immigration office.
  3. Click on “Center map here”
  4. Near the top right of the screen, click on “Link”
  5. Copy the text in the field under “Paste link in email or IM” and paste it in your reply in this thread.

Who will be the first one to reconnoitre the area and post the correct location? This map of Thai immigration offices is a pet project of mine.

--

Maestro

One more thing: I would also be glad to get the full mailing address, including the house number, in English and Thai so that I may add it to the placemark, and the phone and fax numbers at the new location. I would email the immigration office to ask for this information if I believed I had even a 10% chance of getting a reply.

--

Maestro

Building B,

Bangkok Government Center,

Chaengwattana Road (close to the Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chaengwattana Road.)

BANGKOK

but what do I tell the taxi driver?? !!!! as far as I remember, chang wattana is a VERY VERY long road!!! what is the address??!!!!

surely there is more to the address than above? coz not every taxi driver is going to know where the bangkokm giovernment centre is!! (let alone understand it in english!)

Tell the taxi driver to go to Tor Mor Chaeng Wattana. If he doesn't know it (as it is new), tell him Krasuang Karn Tang Prataet. If he still doesn't understand you, show him the map, which is conveniently provided in Thai, so that taxi drivers can read it. ;-)

Oh and by the way, this is much more efficient than the concept of addresses with house numbers. If you live in a sub-soi of a sub-soi, you will know what I mean.

nice thai way to give information in such a short notice... there official website is not even up to date...all still points at the old adress

what happens if you send ur papers with registered mail to the old adress stated, you think it will arrive at the right place ?

or some will blabla that their thai version is up to date? who the hel_l can read thai anyway on this forum

specially immigration bizz is not for thai people but for non-thai

This is not short notice, it's four weeks ahead. Even by registered mail, this should be sufficient.

I, being on this forum and being non-Thai, can read Thai, thanks for your question. However, I entirely miss your point. Kindly elaborate.

The end of an era for Suan Plu

Sad but true. The world moves on, even government services move from small crowded offices in traffic-jammed locations to shiny new and hopefully even more efficient locations. As a side-effect, there might even be parking space.

If all works as advertised, it will be better. Suan Plu will be remembered for nostalgic reasons, and in 10 years' time we will brag: I still remember having to go to Suan Plu to get my stamp. Yeah, the good old times.