Immigration Bureau Moves To Chaengwattana Road

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell the taxi driver to go to "Big C", Chaengwattana, going from the Big C is only a very short walk across the street and to the left to the new buildings.

I have been told it is behind the new Thai CSI building if you watch CSI. Don't ask me how to say it in Thai. The other map that was on the forum earlier this past month is clearer than the map in Thai today.

I made a U-Turn almost in front of the entrance to the compound around 12 noon today and it was a nightmare with traffic until they finish the flyover from the CAT area to Muang Than Thani. The flyover in the opposite direction to Vipawadi is finished but is used for either direction depending on the time of day and traffic conditions. Today at 12, it was bringing traffic from Vipawadi, both lanes one direction on the flyover. Judging by the construction time, maybe one or two months before they finish.

Hope this helps.

This is NOT correct. I live in the area and "Big C" (Chaeng Wattana 14) is quite a walk from new government complex. Traffic in the area is awful! best is to , as someone suggested, take train to Laksi and motorbike short distance to government complex. New complex is massive but very beautiful building.

If nothing else it is far more accessible than Suan Phlu - its a simply head west along Ramintra road, over Vibhavadi Rangsit or straight from the city North up Vibhavadi and hang a left down a few blocks on 4 lanes each side and there ya go pilgrim. No traffic hassles. Has to be an improvement on the choked up mess at Suan Phlu even if the service remains the same. :)

If anyone from the Bangkapi, Lad Prao area is interested, van No 97 goes from Ramkhamhaeng Uni, via Lam sali and Lad Prao and right past the new building in Chaengwattana. A (currently) free No 95 bus goes from Ramkhamhaeng Uni (via Lam Sali) to the junction of Wipawadi/Rangsit and Ramintra. Then take a short taxi ride.

Give me a bus over a taxi any day!!

Well it's definitely worse if you live near Suan Plu and have to embark on an hour+ each way journey for whatever (90 report, extension, undr consideration result, re-entry permit). Chaeng Wattana is still an undeveloped hel_l hole. The traffic is bad, parts of the road are still under construction and the only bus option for people from down town is small van from Mor chit bts station.

An under construction hel_l hole is a little bit dramatic :-) Chaengwattana is a 4 lane highway in both directions, hopefully when the two old ladies finish building the flyover the traffic will be better but it is a busy road, try to avoid rush hours if you can or take a motorbike taxi for the last part of the journey if you want to get there for 8am.

Once you have finished at immigration there are plenty of shopping options within a couple of minutes drive including Big C, Tesco, Carrefour, HomePro, Makro, a new Central Mall, Villa Supermarket, Verasu, Starbucks etc. etc.

Does anyone have a confirmed GPS digital readout of the new location?

I stored this for the Foreign Affairs Department when we went to apply for our kids passports (I presume its in the same compound or next door)

N13°53'23.8"

E100°34'01.2"

GPS coords from a Garmin iQue 3600

Edited by Haddo

nice thai way to give information in such a short notice... there official website is not even up to date...all still points at the old adress

what happens if you send ur papers with registered mail to the old adress stated, you think it will arrive at the right place ?

or some will blabla that their thai version is up to date? who the hel_l can read thai anyway on this forum

specially immigration bizz is not for thai people but for non-thai

I was told about this in February. It is not a sudden move.

If you regularly have to deal with immigration, then it is really your responsibility to keep in touch with what's happening there. Either you use the same people each year to apply, or have friends connected to such businesses or friends in immigration.

It is not immigrations responsibility to mail/call/visit every foreigner in Thailand to inform of their plans.

Does anyone have a confirmed GPS digital readout of the new location?

I stored this for the Foreign Affairs Department when we went to apply for our kids passports (I presume its in the same compound or next door)

N13°53'23.8"

E100°34'01.2"

GPS coords from a Garmin iQue 3600

Thanks Haddo, good thinking! :)

Many different opinions. I guess depending where you live it can be a good or bad location. The fact is that it is miles and miles away from the center, we inspected the place today. Unless you take a train or bus, but by taxi plus express way toll it is quite expensive and more time consuming from the center to get there and back. I predict a lot of angry foreigners soon. If people have to do reporting, extensions, re-entry permits and whatever other issues to immigration it will be taking more time and money to get there than now.

Overall bad news for the foreigners in Bangkok, say I am just a tourist wanting 7 days extension and I am made to travel so far to make my extension and pay my 1,900 Baht fee. Oh my dear, that is a long trip and expensive trip. I don't see many of us using buses or trains.

If we cannot change it we will need to accept it. Amen

good bye overcrowded Nightmare City, welcome Chaeng Wattana, The building is very impressive, its located in an open area not like road congested Nightmare City. I really do not understand what all the petty bitching is about unless its from those who step out of their comfort zone 5 minutes away from their residences.

we had the same type of misinformed bitching when they announced they were going to build the new airport. I live close to Don Muang, but it is much easier to get to swampy, its called progress so accept it.

I don't mind government offices, but most foreigners do not live in the outskirts and it would be a good idea to have immigration in the city and not 30 miles outside of it. It is not just for those who stay in Thailand longer but also for multitude of tourists. I cannot understand why we could not have at least a small office in the center for regular things like reporting, extensions and re-entry permits.

But that is only my opinion, maybe you are right, I am not keeping up with 'progress' :)

I don't mind government offices, but most foreigners do not live in the outskirts and it would be a good idea to have immigration in the city and not 30 miles outside of it. It is not just for those who stay in Thailand longer but also for multitude of tourists. I cannot understand why we could not have at least a small office in the center for regular things like reporting, extensions and re-entry permits.

But that is only my opinion, maybe you are right, I am not keeping up with 'progress' :)

I live 5 minutes bike ride from the new office so I think it's great :D. But I never used to mind going to the centre to visit immigration as I could pop down to MBK or Paragon afterwards. Maybe some expats visiting the new office can take the chance to visit the nearby Makro to stock up on giant blocks of cheese, cheap 5kg boxes of butter or some over priced pies in Villa. I feel sorry for the staff that have to fight their way there with the other hoards of government employees, let's hope they are not too grumpy dealing with extensions after the move. You are quite right about tourists though, with the possible exception of Koh Kret and a good haircut there is nothing for them to see once they have made the trip out to Chaengwattana.

Tell the taxi driver to go to "Big C", Chaengwattana, going from the Big C is only a very short walk across the street and to the left to the new buildings.

I have been told it is behind the new Thai CSI building if you watch CSI. Don't ask me how to say it in Thai. The other map that was on the forum earlier this past month is clearer than the map in Thai today.

I made a U-Turn almost in front of the entrance to the compound around 12 noon today and it was a nightmare with traffic until they finish the flyover from the CAT area to Muang Than Thani. The flyover in the opposite direction to Vipawadi is finished but is used for either direction depending on the time of day and traffic conditions. Today at 12, it was bringing traffic from Vipawadi, both lanes one direction on the flyover. Judging by the construction time, maybe one or two months before they finish.

Hope this helps.

Tell Taxi " Py Gong Soon Chaeng Wattana" How it pronouced in Thai . We live 5 mins drive from it. No more trekking to Saun Phou however because we dont live in Bangkok maybe we can't use it ( happened once when we went to Ratchada Pisak office 20 mims away)

Building B,

Bangkok Government Center,

Chaengwattana Road (close to the Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chaengwattana Road.)

BANGKOK

but what do I tell the taxi driver?? !!!! as far as I remember, chang wattana is a VERY VERY long road!!! what is the address??!!!!

surely there is more to the address than above? coz not every taxi driver is going to know where the bangkokm giovernment centre is!! (let alone understand it in english!)

Have a Thai written it in Thai or tell the driver you want to go to Thor Mor Chaeng Wattana

Yes Tell Taxi Thor Mor Chaeng Wattana or Gong Soon Chaeng Wattana.

Some of yours sound bitter.

We should be very happy.

It cannot be worst than Suan Phlu.

As soon as there is a car park, this is the paradise.

I go often there as I have a friend in the area. It cannot be better, honest!

By car / taxi: you have an highway on the left, an highway on the right.

From Morchit / Chatuchak MRT BTS stations, it's only 15 minutes. Maybe less.

Well it's definitely worse if you live near Suan Plu and have to embark on an hour+ each way journey for whatever (90 report, extension, undr consideration result, re-entry permit). Chaeng Wattana is still an undeveloped hel_l hole. The traffic is bad, parts of the road are still under construction and the only bus option for people from down town is small van from Mor chit bts station.

I think you are wrong, there are several minivans from Victory, BTS and Mo-Chit; they go to Impact Muang Thong Thani and they pass Cheang Wattana.

BTW Cheang Wattana have all the shopping centers you need, IT Square, Avenue, Central, carefour, Tesco, BigC, Home-Pro, Foodland, Villa market and a few 100 restaurants Thai and International Cuisine. And one of the most popular markets in Bangkok.

But one is correct thare are not much expats living here, and I hope its stay this way.

And not only most Tha ministerie moved to Cheang Wattana but also the head office of TOT, CAT and Thai Postal service but also most big IT companies.

The area is populated mostly by middle Class Thai. In my neighbourhood you can see several big mansions build by the Hi-So Thai.

And mos timportant off all, the scams of downtown Bangkok are unknow here. Even the boy's in brown have a different attitude than in downtown Bangkok.

If you go by your own car from Sukhumvit area you can go by Rama by Rham Intra toll way or normal lane and you fo straight to Cheang wattana, and if you hate traffic you can go by Thaksin bridge than Rajappruek road till Rama 5 bridge, follow direction Pakkret, follow Tiwanon, till you see by pass Cheang wattana. I go from my home in MTT to Suan Phlu in about 40 minutes by this way and never had any traffic jam.

Edited by henryalleman

Could anyone be so kind to help me this lazy bugger,

Could someone post the full address in thai language so i can print it out and show it to the taxi driver and hopefully he sends me to the right place for my reporting. Maybe some additional comments will be helpful to show the taxi driver, assuming he can read :D

Thank you sooooooooooo sooooooooooo much :)

Just one more question is the old immigration at suan plu more congested in the morning or will the new one be more congested with traffic ? Probably around 10am

Don't go there yet.

Immigration HQ in Bangkok will move from October 1, 2009.

You can still go to the one-stop-shop for most services, surely. It's only a short walk from the MRT Pahon Yothin train station. :)

Not unless you are working for a company that has Board of Investment (BOI) privledges.

Otherwise all you can do there is 90 day reports.

You can still go to the one-stop-shop for most services, surely. It's only a short walk from the MRT Pahon Yothin train station. :)

Not unless you are working for a company that has Board of Investment (BOI) privledges.

Otherwise all you can do there is 90 day reports.

What are you both talking about? Is there some other facility besides the old immigration office?