Phuket Police Report Rise In Prostitution

george

Phuket police report rise in prostitution

phuket-Two-men-suspected-of-selling-marijuana-are-presented-to-the-media-at-Phuket-City-Police-Station-on-Wednesday-along-with-seized-marijuana-and-a-homemade-bong-1-hGQLoMh.jpg

Two men suspected of selling marijuana are presented

to the media at Phuket City Police Station on Wednesday,

along with seized marijuana and a homemade bong.

PHUKET CITY: -- Police reported a rise in arrests for prostitution in Phuket during August 2009, with 164 arrests representing a 70.8% increase over the same month last year.

Statistics for August released by the Phuket Provincial Police show that drug-related offenses were the most common crimes, with 208 people arrested in 179 cases.

The figure is a 50.4% increase year-on-year.

Coming in a close second was gambling, with 205 people arrested in 76 cases, an increase of 35.7%.

There were also 32 arrests for involvement in the underground lottery, statistics for which are tabulated separately.

Among the contraband seized in the drug arrests were 5,438 ya bah (methamphetamine) pills, 12.8 grams of ya ice (crystal methamphetamine), one kilogram of marijuana and 31 kilograms of krathom leaves, a native plant used as a stimulant.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pigad Thantipong told a press conference last Wednesday that there has been an increase in the transport of 1-kilogram bars of dried, compressed marijuana onto the island.

Most of it is sourced from the north of Thailand and sold locally at prices ranging from 15,000 baht to 25,000 baht per kilogram, he said.

The increase is likely due to the fact that the high season for tourism is approaching and there will be an increase in demand from foreign tourists, he suggested.

There were four premeditated murder cases in Phuket last month, one more than August 2008, according to statistics.

Investigations led to arrests in three of the four cases.

There was no cases of manslaughter reported.

There were 52 reported cases of theft or vandalism (up 2.0% year-on-year), with 37 arrests.

Of these, there were seven reports of motorbike theft, with arrests in six cases.

There were also two arrests in two snatch-and-run cases, down from August last year.

There were 15 cases of fraud reported, with 10 arrests, up 114.3%.

There were 14 cases of embezzlement reported, with no arrests.

From October to August this year, there were 34 premeditated murders reported in the province, a decrease of 22.7% year-on-year.

There have been arrests made in 61.8% of the cases, the police say.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-09-06

press conference last Wednesday that there has been an increase in the transport of 1-kilogram bars of dried, compressed marijuana onto the island.

Most of it is sourced from the north of Thailand and sold locally at prices ranging from 15,000 baht to 25,000 baht per kilogram, he said.

The increase is likely due to the fact that the high season for tourism is approaching and there will be an increase in demand from foreign tourists, he suggested.

Hmm.....high season for tourism approach :D , well on my calender there are at least 2.5 months + with downpour left before any high season.

But blame the tourist, probably nobody else in this region who buy and sell that stuff! :)

phuket-Two-men-suspected-of-selling-marijuana-are-presented-to-the-media-at-Phuket-City-Police-Station-on-Wednesday-along-with-seized-marijuana-and-a-homemade-bong-1-hGQLoMh.jpg

Two men suspected of selling marijuana are presented

to the media at Phuket City Police Station on Wednesday,

along with seized marijuana and a homemade bong.

PHUKET CITY: -- Police reported a rise in arrests for prostitution in Phuket during August 2009, with 164 arrests representing a 70.8% increase over the same month last year.

Can we have more details on this one. What is considered protitution in this context? Let us have some typical cases.

PHUKET CITY: Police reported a rise in arrests for prostitution in Phuket during August 2009, with 164 arrests representing a 70.8% increase over the same month last year.

<deleted> is this? This report is so pointless, confusing and incomplete on so many levels it boggles the mind. Throw a rock any direction in Phuket and you will hit 3 prostitutes (two will be katoeys, but that's beside the point) Are they suggesting that the massive amount of sex tourists that come here for the affordable women now need to worry? Why publish this little snippit if info you are not going to explain it? Yes, we all know prostitution is technically illegal, but wholly accepted. And apparently, according to a quick Google search, even the customer can be fined 1000baht. But what are they talking about here? Lots of info missing on this one, PG. Are we talking about catching katoeys giving 20 baht BJ's on the beach, (errr....so I've heard), underage prostitutes, or people caught in the act inside one of the go-go's or beer bars? Has to be a combination of those. Makes absolutely no sense otherwise. But then again, TIT and what does?

The heading is also misleading, as it is "rise in arrests" not a "rise in prostitution." Although I appreciate the double entendre.

This one gets a big <deleted>!!!!

Edited by Scubabuddha

I think the numbers are quite misleading. 52 cases of theft or vandalism!!!! How can they be linked together unless vandalism occurs during a robbery plus the number seems extraordinarily low unless burglary is not included in this number. My ex has a home in a gated estate in Kathu where there have been at least 7 burglaries in the past two weeks, including the next door neighbour & directly opposite. I cannot count the number of times I have seen someone on a motorbike drifting around the estate diligently looking at every home he passes & a couple of days ago saw it in Land & House which has far better security.

prostitution is a hands on job and will always get a :) rise,and be on the rise :D

:D:D:D

Although I still refuse to believe that prostitution exists in Thailand. I have never seen any evidence of it.

It's a fact, there is absolutely NO prostitution in Thailand. You're not paying the girl for sex, you're paying her to go home in the morning!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...