Black Magic

peter991

Without going into too many details just yet, do the locals in rural Issan believe in and use black magic ?

I ask this as I had a most bizarre online chat with a uni graduate from Khon Kaen last night. He told me my partner used black magic to make me fall in love with them.

This involved getting some of my toenail clippings and hair and using it to make a spell.

I have a very open mind on this matter and I wonder if any others in Issan have heard of this practice.

Peter

My wife told me that when we first started going out together that another girl that we knew had made spells regularly to try to make me fall in love with her.

Didn't work mind you she was no oil painting.

Don't know about the toenails and stuff though, but these Isaan folk are into all that stuff and are incredibly superstitious.

According to my ex wife's two sisters, the Thai boyfriend that she acquired used black magic on her. They were unsuccessful to break the spell, thus the divorce. So, yep, they really believe in that stuff. Maybe, now I do too. :o

Thai's are brainwashed from birth with so much hokus pokus its a wonder their own shadow does'nt scare them.

There must be books written somewhere describing an A-Z of auspicious do's & do'nts. The more illiterate ie hilltribes such as Lisu, Lawa, Hmong. Still make voodoo ricestalk dolls and practice all kinds of occult stuff. This stuff is inbred in them from way back when the Mons spread from China.

Makes me laugh, they spook themselves that much they have to buy a spirit house to protect them.

When my son was just two months old he had a crying fit and would not stop crying. To those of you that have children you will say collic, just as I said. But my wife was a first time Thai mother and she consulted her father.

He told her that a ghost was trying to invade the child's body. I thought nothing more of it and went to have a shower. When I came out of the shower I received a shock.

A ceremony was being performed on the child. He was covered from head to foot in an orange gunk from a squashed root. He was surrouned by a circle of people connected by white cotten. The father was ranting on in Thai and blowing on the child.

When I threw a wobbler at them they seemed embarassed and did not understand my anger. When I confronted my wife she did not want to talk to me about it. That is when you begin to understand the gulf of difference between western and rural thai cultures.

We are still together but we hve a few rules now. Hospitals and medicine before majic, and we always speak to one another. Medicine before Budha. My son is now a very happy and very naughty 2 years old :o

I try to keep an open mind about all things. I'm just a simple caveman. :D

Last summer, while visiting her parents and family in the family home in the Isaan, my wife had a series of what could be described as auditory hallucinogenic experiences. She attributes these to "Star Trek," which is her English generic term for bad ghosts and bad spirits. She believes the Star Trek knew she had prayed for them to leave the village and, in retaliation, they got into her head. :D

I was back in the States, so I can't say exactly how it appeared, but she was extremely distrought for over a two week period and was bad enough that the family had her see a doctor on more than one occasion. He gave her pills for depression, anxiety and sleeping. I had her dump the pills when she returned, after seeing that they were only keeping her mildly sedated.

When she did return at summer's end, her short-term memory was pretty well shot. She had been an "A" grade student up until this point. I had to work with her all of Fall season so she could pass one of three classes, two of which prohibited her from advancing to the final level in her ESL studies. :o

I try to keep an open mind about all things. I'm just a simple caveman. :D

Last summer, while visiting her parents and family in the family home in the Isaan, my wife had a series of what could be described as auditory hallucinogenic experiences. She attributes these to "Star Trek," which is her English generic term for bad ghosts and bad spirits. She believes the Star Trek knew she had prayed for them to leave the village and, in retaliation, they got into her head.  :D

I was back in the States, so I can't say exactly how it appeared, but she was extremely distrought for over a two week period and was bad enough that the family had her see a doctor on more than one occasion. He gave her pills for depression, anxiety and sleeping. I had her dump the pills when she returned, after seeing that they were only keeping her mildly sedated.

When she did return at summer's end, her short-term memory was pretty well shot. She had been an "A" grade student up until this point. I had to work with her all of Fall season so she could pass one of three classes, two of which prohibited her from advancing to the final level in her ESL studies.  :o

and your point was ?

Thanks everybody for your feedback and contributions.

The short version is this:

During my visit to LOS in July last year I spent most of my time in Pattaya and does what any 50yo guy would do when he is by himself ... visit a couple of bars where he had a good time during the previous visit.

Did that and was physically attracted (but not emotionally attracted) to one of the Bar Boys, who I 'offed.'

My other Thai Friend, a university graduate from Khon Kaen who organised my 2 bedroom condo accommodation and the BB chatted and my TF returned to Khon Kaen, leaving me with BB.

We got on well, BB and me, even visiting his parents who live in a remote village in Issan. I left LOS 10 weeks later and returned to Australia. BB and I kept in touch by email and phone calls. He left the Bar (yes - I know it is rare!) and went to live with his sister in BKK, working in a factory (yes - I verified that too). At no time did he ask for money, but I did send him 5000 baht for Christmas.

I did send/receive the occasional email from educated TF. Anyway, educated TF catches up with me on MSN Chat and very reluctantly tells me he has something to tell me, but isn't sure if he can say it.

Much prodding ... as I know Thais love to hear and spread gossip but are reluctant to always tell the truth to a farang when it means telling on another Thai ...

Finally it comes flooding out from educated TF. When they were chatting in the condo in July last year, BB tells TF that "he is going to put a spell on Peter to make him love him (BB)"

As it turned out BB need not have put a spell on me. We are very happy with each other. I have just returned from 2 weeks with him and his parents and everything is fine.

• 1 year later...

I have heard occasional snippets of information about magic and personal powers in Isan culture but haven't really got to the bottom of things. As far as I can gather, the kind of person one might go to for help would be a 'maw tam'. The one I know is a former monk, and as far as I can tell is more on the 'white' than the 'black' side of things, but he is apparently consulted to deal with matters like illness, bad luck, and malevolent influences.

I'm sure that the belief system about spirits and so on is much richer and more extensive than anything I know about. However, the nearest thing I have heard of to 'black magic' involves a belief that certain people are able to capture and control the spirit of a dead child. This apparently involves the construction of a small doll within a day or so of the death and the use of spells to attach the spirit to this doll. Some people who subscribe to these beliefs have more than one doll. The person exercising control can instruct the child spirit to do various things such as influencing worldly events in his/her favour or doing ill to his/her enemies. The controller will speak to the doll in the role of 'mummy' or 'daddy', and will promise treats of food or sweets in return for the requested acts. Someone known to me has told me of her fear of a female acquaintance who claims to possess some dolls, and is thinking of a trip to a friendly 'maw tam' to protect herself from bad things if she falls out with the friend. If anybody knows any more about these beliefs, I would be interested to hear.

Thai's are brainwashed from birth with so much hokus pokus its a wonder their own shadow does'nt scare them.

There must be books written somewhere describing an A-Z of auspicious do's & do'nts. The more illiterate ie hilltribes such as Lisu, Lawa, Hmong. Still make voodoo ricestalk dolls and practice all kinds of occult stuff. This stuff is inbred in them from way back when the Mons spread from China.

Makes me laugh, they spook themselves that much they have to buy a spirit house to protect them.

Inbred? Illiterate? Brainwashed?

But we are so much better yes? Brainwashed into wanting the latest fandangle...

These are people; the same as you, born with the same native more or less brainpower; who have not had the opportunities, by accident of birth, that you have had

If you have wasted it, and feel resentful, well.... that is up to you, but please do not sneer at these generally lovely people

Inbred? Illiterate? Brainwashed?

But we are so much better yes? Brainwashed into wanting the latest fandangle...

These are people; the same as you, born with the same native more or less brainpower; who have not had the opportunities, by accident of birth, that you have had

If you have wasted it, and feel resentful, well.... that is up to you, but please do not sneer at these generally lovely people

Well said, Yorkman. I had the same impression as you when I read that post, and I couldn't have replied any better than you did.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Last year I believe I did a Topic on beliefs and as you call it black magic in Issan:

Can I suggest you use the search facility top right of the page this will bring it up : there were a number of replies and stiries you can read

My wife knows I'm not much into black magic and ghosts so she rarely mentions any of that crap in front of me. Yesterday I went to my favorite watering hole for a couple of beers. This morning when I went out to my truck, the back window was cracked in a million places. It looks like tempered glass that has been hit enough to shatter it but not enough to break it out. On the front floor she found her two Buddha (monk) images that apparently had somehow fallen off the dash. It's possible that I swerved or something but I don't remember if I did or not. Anyways, she's off to the local witch doctor with her two images. She came back home and told me that she had made the problem herself. She had put the extra monk image in the truck before I left for my watering hole. One monk had been from Loei and the other from Chiang Rai. The witch doctor knew that the two monks had not liked each other and were fighting in the truck. That's how the back window got broken. She quickly took one image to put in her car and promised me no more problems. I'm still a little surprised because she is normally very level headed and has never complained about ghosts.

What were my comments? Err, yeah, OK.

I'm glad she worked it out or the truck would have had to spend several hours at the local watt.

Christians are brainwashed from birth with so much hokus pokus its a wonder their own shadow does'nt scare them.

There is a book called the Bible written somewhere describing an A-Z of auspicious do's & do'nts. The more illiterate ie hilltribes such as southern Baptists, AOGs, in fact any fundamentalist, . Still make statues and practice all kinds of occult funny rituals stuff. This stuff is inbred in them from way back when their ancestors spread from spain, england etc.

Makes me laugh, they spook themselves that much they have to buy a cathedral to protect them.

Not much difference is there!!!

Christians are brainwashed from birth with so much hokus pokus its a wonder their own shadow does'nt scare them.

There is a book called the Bible written somewhere describing an A-Z of auspicious do's & do'nts. The more illiterate ie hilltribes such as southern Baptists, AOGs, in fact any fundamentalist, . Still make statues and practice all kinds of occult funny rituals stuff. This stuff is inbred in them from way back when their ancestors spread from spain, england etc.

Makes me laugh, they spook themselves that much they have to buy a cathedral to protect them.

Well done

:o

just a funny side comment, not thai related:

today's news, a group of fundementalist (and crazy as far as i can see) super orthodox jews snuck off to some cave to do the 'sacrificial lamb' for passover, complete with real sheep: making all the save the animal groups speak out, and all the anti religious groups also speak out, and then i realized that i belong to a religion that is still a tribal group doing shamanistic rituals just like my 'way back when' ancestors were doing same same in the desert hills of judea....

so while they are off to sacrafice a lamb in the desert, i will be off celebrating songkran in the galil by slaughtering a kosher pig along with string tying ceremony and collecting money for anon's village temple and seeing morlam ... which is more fun than burning bread and searching for lurking bread crumbs with a feather, and other passover rituals....

i love religioun.... pass the wine and wafer will u????

no offense to any particular religoiun cult or belief but really, teh Holy Ghost? et al....

same same but different...

bina

israel

and happy holidays all....

Well done

:o

Let's include ALL religious beliefs. They all have their books, icons, rituals, fancy dress and their buildings whether they be spirit houses wats churches cathedrals synagogues mosques temples etc and for some of us it's all hokus pokus.