george

Airport crackdown shows results

Over 1,000 unlicensed taxis, guides arrested

post-128-1252462853_thumb.jpg

AIRPORT BATTLES BACK: A special security team at Suvarnabhumi

claims it has arrested 1,155 illegal drivers and tour guides in a month

but admits it has a long way to go to clean up a "serious" situation

plaguing the airport.

SUVARNABHuMI: -- A special security team at Suvarnabhumi airport has arrested 750 unlicensed taxi and limousine drivers and 405 illegal tour guides in the space of just one month, officials say.

The security team, made up of police, airport security guards and land transport officials, began a crackdown on illegal activities at the airport on July 31 after a flood of complaints from tourists. Airport director Niran Thiranartsin yesterday said illegal taxis were initially targetted, but tour guides operating without permission were included from Aug 9.

Despite the huge number of arrests, a Bangkok Post investigative report on Sunday showed many more illegal operators were continuing to plague the airport.

Mr Niran said the situation remained serious despite the initial success of the security team in tackling the problem.

Illegal operators still needed to be targetted and "we have to keep on seriously enforcing the security measures", he said.

Any leniency now would only cause a setback to Airports of Thailand Plc's renewed attempt to clean up the airport by weeding out illegal operators and corrupt officials.

AoT president Serirat Prasutanond said earlier the gangs which ran the illegal operations had indicated to him in a phone call that they would flood back in once the crackdown lost steam.

The maximum fine that could be imposed on the illegal operators was 1,000 baht. Mr Niran said many of those arrested were repeat offenders and it was necessary to produce factual information to increase the penalties against them.

Besides the special security team, assigned to patrol the airport around the clock, a new airport unit has been set up to deal directly with illegal taxis and tour guides and to support the team's work, Mr Niran said.

The airport was also installing 50 more security cameras in the arrivals hall and in front of the passenger area on the second floor, he said.

But one area where it was difficult to conduct surveillance was around the baggage carousel where porters with clearance passes who work for the airlines could approach passengers to help them with their luggage.

Mr Niran said many of the porters were like "outsourced" workers for the gangs and it was difficult to expose them.

The AoT has been forced to tighten its security measures at the trouble-plagued airport as the gangs had almost free rein there for three years.

However, an AoT source said despite tougher measures, including the planned transfer of staff suspected of being involved in the illegal operations, the gangs would not be easily contained.

"These gangs still do their business as usual," he said.

The AoT needed more cooperation from airport staff at the operating level. But many were found to lack morale and appeared uninterested in the problem because it was supposed to be the responsibility of the special security team, he said.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-09-09

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But one area where it was difficult to conduct surveillance was around the baggage carousel where porters with clearance passes who work for the airlines could approach passengers to help them with their luggage.

Mr Niran said many of the porters were like "outsourced" workers for the gangs and it was difficult to expose them.

I suppose one way of weeding them out would be to plant mystery tourists same as they do with shops to check on how staff are performing but let it be known they are going to be there and anyone caught is sacked.

I suppose one way of weeding them out would be to plant mystery tourists same as they do with shops to check on how staff are performing but let it be known they are going to be there and anyone caught is sacked.

very good suggestion... and how about raising the fine. a 1000 baht is an insult... try 10,000 or so and see if that helps... hire a few farangs to be the mystery tourists... they do this same thing in many large dept. stores in the U.S. hire a mystery shopper to check on the sales persons...

What I cannot get over is the numbers.... holy moly! Over a thousand arrests, it sounds like the there are more illegal "workers" than legal workers. I also cannot fathom how this airport can be secure, isn't the baggage area a secure area? But we hear that the "secure" area is crawling with unauthorized personnel, that's scary. Any terrorist can enter the airport posing a gang member... it's just preposterous!

To understand these statistics. the key question that needs to be asked is how many of the illegal taxis and guides arrested were soliciting ARRIVING customers. From what I could see, all the authorities did was target the unregistered limousines and cars from hotels and other drivers from Pattaya and Bangkok who were DROPPING OFF passengers ie easy targets and a fairly honest bunch.

Of course, the real thugs targetting the ARRIVING passengers are not touched. An arriving passenger is a golden goose - who wants a departing customer who has already discovered the pricing and currency in Thailand? You need to get them "fresh" to really rip them off.

The crackdown is a joke - everyone in the airport is in on the scam. Similarly, have you ever tried to find the "cheap" river taxi on the Chao Praya river in Bangkok? Every single person you ask, be they an official selling the ferry tickets, to the flower sellers , to the police, will guide you to the long-tails waiting to give you a private tour of the river at an inflated price (to pay off everyone in the chain).

Come on, Thailand, all this corruption is hurting the country more than you can imagine. And its like a slap in the face to those who their work diligently and honestly.

Finally!

This will be a short-term fix until they enact laws with teeth, i.e. quite harsh penalties. A 1000 baht fine is chicken feed and has no deterrent effect whatsoever. Make it 100,000 baht or more in addition to jail time of at least 1 year and really enforce that law and they can then clean it up. Many laws here have paltry fines and have not been updated for years. 1,000 baht may have been a lot 30 years ago, but it's chicken feed today.

It wouldn't be too hard to push through such a law in Parliament I would think especially because these vultures tarnish the image of the country and as we all know, first impresssions are everything.

If those workers feels necessary to be outsourced it is because of their low salary... start to pay them better and they wont need this extra job ! Could you live with 6.000 / month ? What those people are doing is just trying to survive...

Finally!

This will be a short-term fix until they enact laws with teeth, i.e. quite harsh penalties. A 1000 baht fine is chicken feed and has no deterrent effect whatsoever. Make it 100,000 baht or more in addition to jail time of at least 1 year and really enforce that law and they can then clean it up. Many laws here have paltry fines and have not been updated for years. 1,000 baht may have been a lot 30 years ago, but it's chicken feed today.

It wouldn't be too hard to push through such a law in Parliament I would think especially because these vultures tarnish the image of the country and as we all know, first impresssions are everything.

I arrived at the airport on Monday from a short trip abroad and saw cops in berets walking around and watching people in suits approach arriving tourists. I wanted to get home so I did not stick around to see if they actually did something about the scumbags approaching unwary tourists. But I must say, I saw a lot fewer of these people plying their trade than I have in the past.

... I also cannot fathom how this airport can be secure, isn't the baggage area a secure area? But we hear that the "secure" area is crawling with unauthorized personnel, that's scary. Any terrorist can enter the airport posing a gang member... it's just preposterous!

Actually the report stated that porters, with security passes, are working in the baggage area. This is where they are supposed to be. The problem is that they can also work "on the side" for the gangs - perhaps directing tourists to illegal taxis or tour guides, for example, and receiving a commission.

Cheers,

Mike

I think the authorities have just plucked a number out of a box. Came through on Sunday afternoon from Singapore, now there's a great airport, but I digress, Suvannabumi deadly quiet - was cruised by several gray volvos, unlicensed of course, just cruising around and around looking for business and being helped by a few dodgy looking characters in black trousers and jackets pretending to be official airport staff. Be aware. Can't stamp it out - it is endemic!

All well and good but can I get a taxi from the arrival area like always? I don't know where the taxi stand is but I've used the arrival level taxis more than 20 times the past three years with absolutely no problems.

At the arrival area, go outside, queue up at the "Public Taxis", tell where you want to go and board the taxi. You have to pay 50 THB on top of the usual fare.

At the departure floor, jump in the first the best taxi who's dropping off a client, and tell him where you want to go. You save 50 THB but you have no guarantee that your claim, in case of a problem, will be heard. Just note the taxi number plate whilst sitting in the taxi in case... You never know although I never had any problem.

Except for once that I went to the airport and the taxi, having dropped me off at the departure platform and after being paid, sped off with my briefcase and my camerabag in his trunk. The next day I got my briefcase back but my camerabag (new camera NIKON D80 and all accessories): "he never saw something like this..."

Police at Suvarnabhumi even refused to register my claim although it was with a smile as for saying "som nam naa"! Maybe :D:)

What exactly does arresting these punks mean?

Does it mean they have thrown their rear-ends in jail, and their bosses get to bail them out which they no doubt will. Bear in mind, these people whom they arressed no doubt have bosses with big connections. Obviously there is a lot of money being made from ripping off and extorting tourists which would justify their bosses bailing them out.

They need to interargate the poop of of these people and find the bosses; put these guys away. If the police say there are 1000's of these people they definetly have their work cut out for them.

What does an arrest of thai people mean without any teeth in it. My guess is these punks will be out on the street within 24 to 48 hours ripping of tourists in the city this time. So in order to make it count, put them in jail with absolutely NO BAIL. And they can arrest and throw the people that come down with the bail money as well until they find the source.

Perhaps a good way to catch these people also is for the Police to use bait. Hire people (farrangs) who are also very fluent in Thai start walking out of the airports with empty suitcases. When they are approached by these professional rip-off artists and extortionists, nail them right there and then.

When I was there just last week waiting for a afternoon flight in the expensive cafateria, I saw several hundred police and security people gathered in underground maintenance area. They dispersed into three seperate groups going in three different directions toward the main terminal. At first I thought we had a demonstration starting again. Since I still had a 3 hour wait I headed to the main terminal to see what was happening. Going through baggage claim, I could see the police had already entered the terminal at both ends conducting a sweep of the touts. It appeared those in some form of "company uniform" weren't bothered, not exactly sure why but probably already cleared. Several nicely dressed men who tried to quickly exit were stopped outside. I don't know what was going on outside by the taxis, I didn't go out there. But it was clear to me, they were checking ID's and paperwork of the touts. Didn't actually see anyone arrested but did see several detained and several trying to sneak out or hide. Saw lot of police and security presence on both levels two and three, then went back to catch my plane. Didn't hear anyone one talking about it once back inside so I think most weren't even aware it was happening.

The holding cell at Ratchathewa police station must be bursting at the seams. :)

Not necessarily. Does 1000 arrests mean 1000 individuals? Perhaps they have just been arresting the same 30 people every day for the last month - its much easier and more profitable that way :-)

Anyway - at least for the moment it is having an effect. I came through on Monday and the only hassle I got was from the AOT Limo counter who are still hijacking dazed tourists just past customs.

All well and good but can I get a taxi from the arrival area like always? I don't know where the taxi stand is but I've used the arrival level taxis more than 20 times the past three years with absolutely no problems.

At the arrival area, go outside, queue up at the "Public Taxis", tell where you want to go and board the taxi. You have to pay 50 THB on top of the usual fare.

At the departure floor, jump in the first the best taxi who's dropping off a client, and tell him where you want to go. You save 50 THB but you have no guarantee that your claim, in case of a problem, will be heard. Just note the taxi number plate whilst sitting in the taxi in case... You never know although I never had any problem.

Except for once that I went to the airport and the taxi, having dropped me off at the departure platform and after being paid, sped off with my briefcase and my camerabag in his trunk. The next day I got my briefcase back but my camerabag (new camera NIKON D80 and all accessories): "he never saw something like this..."

Police at Suvarnabhumi even refused to register my claim although it was with a smile as for saying "som nam naa"! Maybe :D:)

Thanks Dude. That's what I have always done. In my post I was not clear and was thinking passenger arrivals on the top floor not aircraft arrivals on the lower level.

Whilst Suvarnanbhumi is the worst and most blatant in terms of airport scams Soekarno-Hatta is not entirely problem free either.

And for discourteous airport security people New Zealand has got to take the award for being the worst. So bad that I think that they recruited their staff from the Gestapo and SS

But there is nothing new under the sun. Any government could crack down on any seaport or airport and notice that there is as much wrong with it as in Thailand. These hubs attracts mafia worldwide. the difference between Thailand and other countries is, that Suthep and his apprentice Abhisit deal with the small people scratching out a meager living. They leave the big shots rooted in the elitist society alone. They do not even think about charging them. So nothing will change.

Come on, Thailand, all this corruption is hurting the country more than you can imagine. And its like a slap in the face to those who their work diligently and honestly.

How important do you thing tourism is? If memory serves, it's 6% of the GNP. So many of the farangs are cheap skates, losers and perverts who cannot afford Hawaii or Portugal. They end up costing a lot in police investigations, too.

The Thais market to Asian tourists who cause way less trouble.

Give me a good reason, based on the fat, dirty old men that have flooded Thailand for decades, that Thais should admire, no revere, farangs!?

[if they had a barfing emoticom]

The holding cell at Ratchathewa police station must be bursting at the seams. :)

So - as we know they have not been jailed - wonder where they all went - if they were arrested at all - and especially how much they paid - makes a great screenplay but protocol has been satisfied. Press reports the arrests, AoT claims a clean up, the brown shirt Mafia got paid and all goes back to normal! T.I.T. :D

If those workers feels necessary to be outsourced it is because of their low salary... start to pay them better and they wont need this extra job ! Could you live with 6.000 / month ? What those people are doing is just trying to survive...

It doesn't work that way. One gets more money, then more demands and again deficit which he has to cover by working at "outsource". Officials get much higher salaries but it doesn't stop them from corruption.