Over 1,000 Unlicensed Taxis, Guides Arrested At Suvarnabhumi

george

Public Taxis area no problem I ahve been thur Suvarnanbhumi three times in the last 3 weeks with no problem, I came thur when the airport first opened and have never had a problem. I think they pray on tourist who they can pick out who dont know any Thai.

Someone need to protect them if they dont know theropes.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the majority on this forum applauds the crack down on "illegal" taxidrivers.I assume they have no objection at all that next time they will have to pay 3500 baht instead of 1000 baht to get from the airport to pattaya.

even 750 bth if you try real hard. :)

rgdz,

Brewsta

That's what I pay every time I go there by airport limo and believe me I only ask them once.

But one area where it was difficult to conduct surveillance was around the baggage carousel where porters with clearance passes who work for the airlines could approach passengers to help them with their luggage.

Mr Niran said many of the porters were like "outsourced" workers for the gangs and it was difficult to expose them.

I suppose one way of weeding them out would be to plant mystery tourists same as they do with shops to check on how staff are performing but let it be known they are going to be there and anyone caught is sacked.

very good suggestion... and how about raising the fine. a 1000 baht is an insult... try 10,000 or so and see if that helps... hire a few farangs to be the mystery tourists... they do this same thing in many large dept. stores in the U.S. hire a mystery shopper to check on the sales persons...

WHY HIRE ?????? I volontere and will do it " benevolant " ,no pay ,perhaps a cofee ?Farangs earn enuf money and don't know what to do in there free time !

But one area where it was difficult to conduct surveillance was around the baggage carousel where porters with clearance passes who work for the airlines could approach passengers to help them with their luggage.

Mr Niran said many of the porters were like "outsourced" workers for the gangs and it was difficult to expose them.

I suppose one way of weeding them out would be to plant mystery tourists same as they do with shops to check on how staff are performing but let it be known they are going to be there and anyone caught is sacked.

very good suggestion... and how about raising the fine. a 1000 baht is an insult... try 10,000 or so and see if that helps... hire a few farangs to be the mystery tourists... they do this same thing in many large dept. stores in the U.S. hire a mystery shopper to check on the sales persons...

The 1000 baht fine needs updating to 10000 Baht as you say. But again the man will probably walk off and the Mafia Boss or whoever will install another idiot to carry out the same scams. The Confiscating of car/taxi until Fine is paid would be better. Identity cards for porters with names with photo is another way. Sacking the AOT Big Wigs that's employing them as for sure they're not looking at the porters past records.

Whatever is seen and done it must be a positive step in the right direction and its up to us to shop them too.

Let all your friends and relatives know what to do on arrival so they have a good holiday memory not one of being "Ripped Off". [1]Make sure its the "taximeter" rank cars outside arrivals to the FAR left.[2] ignore any other person who wants to help you.[3] Make sure your "taximeter" driver puts the meter on OR get out.[4] Check the car seats and floor before leaving just in case wallet or purse slips out whilst seated or collecting your small items. [5] Do not consume to much alcohol either going to or from airport as you'll let your guard down.

what I usually do to avoid this airport hassle with taxi and limo opererators, be they Kosher or not, is take the free transfer bus to the bus station, go to the Mini Bus desk and get on a mini bus to Rangsit for 45 Baht. These buses go to most major roads and junctions in Bangkok and surrounds, and you can get on or off wherever you like. The only advice I would give with these is check the state of the vehicle before you get on, but 9 out of 10 of them are in good nick as they are licensed.

They'll even drop you at the end of your soi.

Simples

lets change the 1000 Baht fine to a 10,000 Baht fine and see 'who will flood the airport' when the steam is gone.

Be flexible! :)

In European countries taxi drivers pay taxes based on their income. The meter is checked by an official department who will submit the numbers to the excise department who will later issue your tax receipt. Any violation of the meter and the driver is in deep trouble. Any intruders on the taxi system (illegal taxis) are kicked out from airports by legal taxi drivers who later report them to the police. I don't think this will happen some time soon in Thailand but it would be the only way where police would be busy doing other things and the passengers would for sure feel safer knowing that both the taxi driver and the vehicle were registered.

Just a suggestion

How important do you thing tourism is? If memory serves, it's 6% of the GNP. So many of the farangs are cheap skates, losers and perverts who cannot afford Hawaii or Portugal. They end up costing a lot in police investigations, too.

The Thais market to Asian tourists who cause way less trouble.

Give me a good reason, based on the fat, dirty old men that have flooded Thailand for decades, that Thais should admire, no revere, farangs!?

[if they had a barfing emoticom]

I'm not sure if you posted in the right thread??? This is about taxi touts etc. at Suvarnabhumi. Such behaviour at airports affects Asians as well as farangs, business people, tourists, weekend shoppers from Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, etc. etc., and not merely "perverts" and "people who can't afford Portugal", who are probably in the minority of travellers in the region's capital's airports.

Cheers,

Mike

Actually, i think this is a absoloutly suitable and proportianate response. Well done. 1000thb is a suitable amount. Very very 'hard working' and 'fast talking' taxi drivers might earn 20,000 a month. but most rip off types about 12 or 15k (honest drivers are lucky with 5-8k).

I think that the enforcing agencys will soon see what a wonderful revenue raiser this is turning out to be and will continue to arrest as many as possible. (i would sugest a commsion to those enforcers though to encourage higher KPIs).

1155 (750+405) offenders x 1000 thb a piece = a potential of up to 1155000 thai baht in just a months time. (given that all of them got a fine ... obviously many of course would not have, but never the less the potential is there for huge revenue raising. (not to mention the PR element of being seen to be doing something)).

1000thb is a lot of money to the Thai working man.

Well done I hope this fine en-mass becomes standard practice. And a commision (greater than that of potential bribe ammount is given to enforcers).

Overall WELL DONE!

Edited by walterego

Actually, i think this is a absoloutly suitable and proportianate response. Well done. 1000thb is a suitable amount. Very very 'hard working' and 'fast talking' taxi drivers might earn 20,000 a month. but most rip off types about 12 or 15k (honest drivers are lucky with 5-8k).

I think that the enforcing agencys will soon see what a wonderful revenue raiser this is turning out to be and will continue to arrest as many as possible. (i would sugest a commsion to those enforcers though to encourage higher KPIs).

1155 (750+405) offenders x 1000 thb a piece = a potential of up to 1155000 thai baht in just a months time. (given that all of them got a fine ... obviously many of course would not have, but never the less the potential is there for huge revenue raising. (not to mention the PR element of being seen to be doing something)).

1000thb is a lot of money to the Thai working man.

Well done I hope this fine en-mass becomes standard practice. And a commision (greater than that of potential bribe ammount is given to enforcers).

Overall WELL DONE!

True, but... The tout risks arrest & fine for what? If I'm making 6K and my end in the scam is 500B, its a good risk. If it's only 200B maybe its not. In which case the crime bosses will increase the offer. The fine amount needs to be an amount beyond that for which the bosses are prepared to compensate to their lackey touts.

Airport crackdown shows results

Over 1,000 unlicensed taxis, guides arrested

... 750 unlicensed taxi and limousine drivers

405 illegal tour guides...

Mr Niran said many of those arrested were repeat offenders and it was necessary to produce factual information to increase the penalties against them.

... 1155 people arrested, many of the frequently (1155 / n different people) ...

I wonder if there's really a change or they were giving a certain group many (not really for free) rides downtown?

Come on, Thailand, all this corruption is hurting the country more than you can imagine. And its like a slap in the face to those who their work diligently and honestly.

How important do you thing tourism is? If memory serves, it's 6% of the GNP. So many of the farangs are cheap skates, losers and perverts who cannot afford Hawaii or Portugal. They end up costing a lot in police investigations, too.

The Thais market to Asian tourists who cause way less trouble.

Give me a good reason, based on the fat, dirty old men that have flooded Thailand for decades, that Thais should admire, no revere, farangs!?

[if they had a barfing emoticom]

Don't have the stats to argue with your figure but I'd always understood that tourism was their 2nd largest export until 2 or 3 years ago after rice

While not a crucial contributor to GDP in itself, tourism is a very important source of relatively decently paying jobs, especially in areas with little or no significant industry or office jobs. The tourism stats also do not really capture all the spend (how much spent at Robinsons comes from tourists - who keeps score? etc). While formal unemployment is not seen as a major problem in Thailand (at least by the authorities), I believe that underemployment is a lot more widespread than is realised.

My g/f had a massage business on Cheong Mon beach 7 tables and 10 girls working, guess what ! they have all been sent home and business closed down............Why ?.... no falang. Since the Yellow shirts fiasco at Suvarnabumi its all gone down the 'gurgler' . Stupid thing is, she comes from Surat Thani and is a YS supporter, thinks Abhisit is just wonderful Grrrrrrrrrrrrr . When Thaksin was in power, she was making money 'hand over fist' but she won't admit it. Its probably all about saving face ! :)

Edited by Maestro
corrected Prime Minister's name

"The maximum fine that could be imposed on the illegal operators was 1,000 baht."

So, if I'm one of the illegals, I budget THB 2,000-3,000 per month as bribe money (cost of doing business) and keep going. A few hundred of my mates do the same and pay the same few officials at the airport. Everybody is happy except the foreigner I rip off.

The clamp-down with a fine as punishment will never work. There are too many desperate people needing work.

So, if I'm making the rules and in charge of enforcement, instead of a fine, I impound their vehicles AND charge them a fine of THB 2,000 (in addition to towing and storage fees paid direct to the impound companies) to get it back AFTER 7 days. It becomes economically impossible to continue their trade, AND I create more jobs, AND those who are doing the towing have an incentive to police my enforcers.

Problem solved.

Good one ! What taxi driver would risk getting his vehicle impounded if that was the result.........My way of thinking.

:D Just Say NO :)

i agree, these guys are making a living, and generally a deal is reached which both partys at the time agree to. if they had just said 'NO!' then they would be ok. i must say No 100 times a day when i walk through tourist areas ie Kaosan. I have no problem with people trying to make money. they are not after all stealing.

1000 thb is absoloutly proportionate response and 1155 offenders (more than a million baht) much needed revenue for Thailand. Well done.

Edited by walterego

1000 bht fine will be seen as nothing more than a minor inconvenience by these crooks.

Lets say 3 trips a day to Pattaya @ 1200 a time = 3600 + at least one return load @ 600 = 4200 bht A DAY in the kitty. (ok, less fuel etc. but still not a bad days takings) x 7 = 29,400 a WEEK. About what some graduates would earn a month!

Agree with other posters, fine should be 10,000.

The idea that all taxi drivers from Touts or even a moderate percentage get 3 trips a day to pattaya is pure fantasy. And if they do what is wrong with them charging your quoted 1200thb ? seems a reasonable price and everybody is happy, So where is the crime?

(the last taxi i got from Subi airport was a meter off Taxi the cost was 200thb at 11.00pm to Kho San road. i think it was a reasonable deal, and even if it wasnt I said the magic word 'yes'.)

Edited by walterego

but let it be known they are going to be there and anyone caught is sacked.

Nobody gets 'sacked' in Thailand. At worst, they get assigned to inactive posts. Wouldn't want anyone to lose face, would we?

As for the taxi touts: I suspect few of us know the details of the supposed 'crackdown.' It could easily be cheered-on by a few well-positioned taxi/limousine outfits who want to cement their positions on the inside track. That could be a drag for tourists also, as it would stifle competition. Respectable appearances don't preclude cheats. I shared a respectable-looking limousine service from Don Muang once, and each time the driver stopped to let a passenger off, he wouldn't remove the person's bag until a fat tip was given.

And what about Somchai who takes his fare from far away to the airport? Is he forced to drive away empty as soon as he discharges his arriving customer. It would only seem fair for Somchai to be able to queue up to get a new customer to take from the airport. If not, then it would exacerbate the non-competition and ease of raising rates among the few remaining taxis. Plus it would be wasteful of petrol to drive back to his home turf empty.

a thousand? who know that were that many crooks and cheats in the country? :)

In fact, they only arrested 10 "illegal taxi drivers" and 5 "illegal guides".

But they returned at the airport after charging an unsupecting fahrang 1,000 Baht for a trip to Pattaya and pay the fine.

:D

My own experience after a trip back to the UK recently was to be accosted as I exited the Emirates flight with “Hello sir where your hotel you stay in Bangkok”

This approach happened as I exited the door of the aircraft ‘Unbelievable security lapse comes to mind’

Within minutes my mobile rang and it’s my taxi driver who I always use who wants to know my flight number. Next minute some females rings me and checks out his story that he genuinely has a booking. When I met up with him he confirmed what I’d thought in that he had been questioned by airport ?????

Seeing as I had to meet him at gate 4 which is somewhere near Chiang Mai (joke) I don’t think he could be considered a tout as he was herded into a pen well out of the new arrivals way.

The three nuisance touts hanging around the aircraft door as it opened are the ones in my opinion who should be hauled off and shackled to the runway.

What I cannot get over is the numbers.... holy moly! Over a thousand arrests, it sounds like the there are more illegal "workers" than legal workers. I also cannot fathom how this airport can be secure, isn't the baggage area a secure area? But we hear that the "secure" area is crawling with unauthorized personnel, that's scary. Any terrorist can enter the airport posing a gang member... it's just preposterous!

That's one thousand arrests over a month. An average of less than 40 per day and many were repeat offenders. With a fine of only 1000 baht I could imagine most would be back again the next day.

1000 bht fine will be seen as nothing more than a minor inconvenience by these crooks.

Lets say 3 trips a day to Pattaya @ 1200 a time = 3600 + at least one return load @ 600 = 4200 bht A DAY in the kitty. (ok, less fuel etc. but still not a bad days takings) x 7 = 29,400 a WEEK. About what some graduates would earn a month!

Agree with other posters, fine should be 10,000.

3 trips a day to Pattaya? These days they are lucky to get one trip per day to Pattaya.

To understand these statistics. the key question that needs to be asked is how many of the illegal taxis and guides arrested were soliciting ARRIVING customers. From what I could see, all the authorities did was target the unregistered limousines and cars from hotels and other drivers from Pattaya and Bangkok who were DROPPING OFF passengers ie easy targets and a fairly honest bunch.

Of course, the real thugs targetting the ARRIVING passengers are not touched. An arriving passenger is a golden goose - who wants a departing customer who has already discovered the pricing and currency in Thailand? You need to get them "fresh" to really rip them off.

The crackdown is a joke - everyone in the airport is in on the scam. Similarly, have you ever tried to find the "cheap" river taxi on the Chao Praya river in Bangkok? Every single person you ask, be they an official selling the ferry tickets, to the flower sellers , to the police, will guide you to the long-tails waiting to give you a private tour of the river at an inflated price (to pay off everyone in the chain).

Come on, Thailand, all this corruption is hurting the country more than you can imagine. And its like a slap in the face to those who their work diligently and honestly.

Where does one find the the "cheap" river taxi on the Chao Praya river? How much Baht cost and where does it take you? ....or is it the up and down river boat(s)?

Thanks