"dookays"...tell Me About Them

CarlBkk

I quite like them. I saw my first one a few months ago late at night on a shopfront in Bangkok, amazed at its size (it's head was the size of a man's fist), dark green with brown splotches. I went up to it and it didn't move at all. A few days ago I saw some smaller ones but my friends said they're not scared of people and WILL bite, which will hurt. Is this true?

They also said that occasionally they are fed up to a large size then exported to Japan as reptile pets. I've never heard of one being kept in a glass tank in Thailand though.

The Tokay is also considered the "bulldog" of the Gecko world due to the fact that when they bite, they often won't let go for up to several hours at a time or even several days, and generally cannot be forcibly removed without causing harm to the Gecko. One way of getting a Tokay to release its hold is to submerge the animal in water, which will encourage the lizard to let go, without causing it any harm or undue stress. A less stressful method is to simply put a drop of vinegar in the gecko's mouth. This is sometimes enough to get them to let go.

I once tried to remove one from the house with a broom and when it tried to attack me he accidentally bit into the broom and didn't let go, so I threw the broom including the gecko out of the window! Once saw a fight between two males and they are like pit-bulls! I like them very much, but not in my house ... the dogs go crazy trying to hunt it down.

Youtube video from Thai TV about kids in Nakhon Phanom who catch them and then sell them on for export abroad to China, Taiwan and Hong Kong as an aphrodisiac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkDgotyZ0jM

[The video has English subtitles which can be toggled on and off by clicking the arrow in the bottom right-hand side of the video, then cc].

Noisy buggers

Play this one for your wife without her knowing where it comes from. :D

:D Thanks for that, speakers turned up full, had the required effect! :D Now just have to scrape her off the ceiling :)

I'd heard nine "farkoff" calls from them was lucky rather than 7?