Expat Flies To Uk From Thailand To Rob Bank

imaneggspurt

Thailand certainly has a magical effect on some people.

He is doubly screwed. Maybe he can get off in the uK on the basis of being stupid and a mental deficient, as the UK justice system is accomodating to such people. However, if he is convicted of a "serious" offense, he can kiss a visa fpr Thailand buh bye. He obviously won't have have the minimum bank balance to get the retirement visa either. Not much into planning this Mr. Metcalfe.

The sad part about all this is the 2 year old in Thailand;

- A wackadoodle grampa for a father and,

- A childhood that will be disadvantaged because there is no father or income from the father.

Yes Mr. Metcalfe, you really did a good job. Congrats for winning the Idiot of the Day citation.

Edited by geriatrickid

At least he had a shot at it. Some people jump off buildings. Of course it was a stupid thing to do but I can sympathize with him. It would be a sad thing to be backed into a corner with no way out.

Unbelievable..what some people will resort to.

A stupid and desperate act.(quite pathetic and sad actually)

Whats wrong with returning to work in the home country to boost funds?

"Whats wrong with returning to work in the home country to boost funds? " EXACTLY ,why wont they ? :)

Unbelievable..what some people will resort to.

A stupid and desperate act.(quite pathetic and sad actually)

Whats wrong with returning to work in the home country to boost funds?

"Whats wrong with returning to work in the home country to boost funds? " EXACTLY ,why wont they ? :)

Finding work in the UK when you are 60?

Edited by cdnvic
excess whitespace removed. Crossy

I Feel sorry for the guy and his family.

And you posters who are smugly saying what an idiot this guy is should stop and think that you may one day yourself find yourself so desperate that you may resort to drastic actions. ( Yeah yeah, I know, ThaiVisa Members will never ever be in such a situation )

I doubt many Farangs come to Thailand with the express purpose of commiting suicide, but personal financial or emotional hardships have led to the suicide of many in Thailand.

None or us really know what his circimstances were in Thailand apart from the fact that he was broke, I wonder how many other Farangs here would be in the same position if not for the fact that they are illegally working. What would they do, just walk away from their wife and children return back to their home countries to live on social security and be an emotional wreck for the rest of their lives, at least he had a go and nobody got hurt, except himself , his wife and his kid, and he is still alive, unlike many others who reach such a low that suicide is an option, and an option that is taken.

What a sad end for all involved. Especially the wife and kid.

He will be a lot better off in a UK prison than being completely broke in Thailand, maybe that was his thought also.

Edited by Maigo6

And as usual there's going to be a table of his drunk Thai extended family somewhere in Thailand telling this odd story...

'yeah, he flew back home to rob a bank.'

'you're kidding."

'not kidding!'

'I don't believe it...'

'hey, we're out of ice...'

:)

Although I sympathise with Mr. Metcalf's situation, I find it impossible to condone any act of terrorism. Like the judge stated, what about the people working at the bank facing the terror of an alleged bomb! Nobody is perfect but I wonder how he, and many other westerners in Thailand, manage to get themselves into such desperation.

I feel sorry for the Guy - I think he felt too old to get a Job, and he wanted money for his Thai wife and Baby.

I think he was desperate. 5 Years is not very long, and he most likely will get out sooner for good behaviour, lets hope he sorts his life out for when he gets released.

I Feel sorry for the guy and his family.

And you posters who are smugly saying what an idiot this guy is should stop and think that you may one day yourself find yourself so desperate that you may resort to drastic actions. ( Yeah yeah, I know, ThaiVisa Members will never ever be in such a situation )

I doubt many Farangs come to Thailand with the express purpose of commiting suicide, but personal financial or emotional hardships have led to the suicide of many in Thailand.

None or us really know what his circimstances were in Thailand apart from the fact that he was broke, I wonder how many other Farangs here would be in the same position if not for the fact that they are illegally working. What would they do, just walk away from their wife and children return back to their home countries to live on social security and be an emotional wreck for the rest of their lives, at least he had a go and nobody got hurt, except himself , his wife and his kid, and he is still alive, unlike many others who reach such a low that suicide is an option, and an option that is taken.

What a sad end for all involved. Especially the wife and kid.

He will be a lot better off in a UK prison than being completely broke in Thailand, maybe that was his thought also.

Maigo6

Some time now since our last encounter here.

:)

I started to read your post, and though, My God, I actually agree with Maigo6.

I agree 100% with him.

Not bad.

But then you dropped it by stating at least he had a go and nobody got hurt.

We dont know that, and can only speculate about how scared all the staff and customers in the bank was, and the people in the shops and the children in the play grounds, during the evacuation.

If the guy was so desperate and concerned, maybe he should have had a big life insurance, and then accidently let himself fall down during a trip up the mountains. That way he could have at least provide money to them.

Now he is maybe without possibilites for a visa, due to a criminal record, and of course, no money.

yes, I feel for the guy, but I still think it was stupid and irresposible for an adult to try it that way.

The sad part is that what ever money he could have gotten away with , it would never have been enough !!

The good part is that he now has somewhere to live for 5 years , with a roof over his head, free dental and health care, possibly an internal job that he will recieve some payment, for his stamps and envelopes to write to his Thai wife and possbly enough for the odd phone call. Then there is the 3 good meals a day that will keep him going . Then theres the fitness and education he can also do . On top of that , after 5 years inside , he will come out to a UK Old Age Pension ,enough to support himself and his wife and baby if she waits for him. This might just be a blessing in disguise . Also you only do 1/3rd of your sentance in the UK unless its stipulated that you do the full term, so infact he might have to commit another crime to keep himself in for the full 5 years other wise he will be out in less than 2 years.

At least he had a shot at it. Some people jump off buildings. Of course it was a stupid thing to do but I can sympathize with him. It would be a sad thing to be backed into a corner with no way out.

I don't think that is an appropriate phrase :) . I know people that I worked with who suffered the trauma of bank raids. In at least one case it ruined their lives.

This idiot had no right to impose terror on others to get cash to make up what he failed to earn or plan for. He committed a serious criminal offence and is a w4nker of the first order and he hope he gets what he deserves - a custodial sentence.

I do agree that his plight may be better served from the comfort of HMP.

Edited by CoffeeCorner

I feel sorry for the Guy - I think he felt too old to get a Job, and he wanted money for his Thai wife and Baby. I think he was desperate. 5 Years is not very long, and he most likely will get out sooner for good behaviour, lets hope he sorts his life out for when he gets released.

a compassionate and intelligent post.

I feel sorry for the Guy - I think he felt too old to get a Job, and he wanted money for his Thai wife and Baby. I think he was desperate. 5 Years is not very long, and he most likely will get out sooner for good behaviour, lets hope he sorts his life out for when he gets released.

a compassionate and intelligent post.

Compassionate indeed. Intelligent NOT !

This guy is fcuked and will not be allowed back to Thailand. His one (maybe not just one) act of stupidity means that he lost contact with his wife and family forever. If this guys solution to supporting his family was to rob a bank I am sure he will be fully capable of sorting his life out !!

Hello ! Wake up and smell the coffee. His life is over.

(unless, of course, you think his Thai wife will wait 5+ years for him and then Thai Visa members will club together to buy his wife and family air tickets to the UK. Oh, and a bit more to buy them a house and put a bit IN the bank - I would like to see him try and open a new bank account somewhere "occupation, Sir" )