Expat Flies To Uk From Thailand To Rob Bank

imaneggspurt

Unbelievable..what some people will resort to.

A stupid and desperate act.(quite pathetic and sad actually)

Whats wrong with returning to work in the home country to boost funds?

You're having a laugh even considering somebody could find any kind of reasonable employment at that age? Having said that, at 60 I believe he would have been eligible for pension credits? Admittedly not as much as the OAP, and to continue qualifying only allowed out of the UK for limited periods, but would have saved him having to resort to such drastic measures.

A sad story, 5 years for an attempted robbery is quite a harsh sentence, certainly when you keep in mind that UK bankers are pretty good in robbing their own banks in full view of everybody and even get rewarded bonuses and nice pensions after being caught red handed.

Give the guy a break, it could have been worse, he could have come to Thailand and could have called himself a teacher, thereby screwing lots of unwitting children.

Nothing wrong with that.

He just tried to make a withdrawal.

I thought Lloyds is the bank that like to say; YES?

"Yes" to the Manager's Bonus "rip off". Must of been desperate to try a stunt like that in the UK!!

He should of asked his UK family to help first so the Missus and Kid were OK. Then found himself a job, yes!! I know very difficult at his age and recession,but if he was that desperate he'd find something.

Compassionate indeed. Intelligent NOT !

This guy is fcuked and will not be allowed back to Thailand. His one (maybe not just one) act of stupidity means that he lost contact with his wife and family forever. If this guys solution to supporting his family was to rob a bank I am sure he will be fully capable of sorting his life out !!

Hello ! Wake up and smell the coffee. His life is over.

(unless, of course, you think his Thai wife will wait 5+ years for him and then Thai Visa members will club together to buy his wife and family air tickets to the UK. Oh, and a bit more to buy them a house and put a bit IN the bank - I would like to see him try and open a new bank account somewhere "occupation, Sir" )

Why do you think he won't be allowed into Thailand?

There is no criminal check for visas (apart from non-OA) and certainly no check on entry. The UK gives out 1 yr non-O visas like candy, he would likely have a problem getting an extension though.

I used to work for Lloyds TSB a few years ago, they would certainly be my bank of choice to rob/ blow up :)

At first. I thought it was about the guy who recently tried to rob a bank at Future Park, Rangsit. Seem like bank robbery is becoming popular these days. The only good thing with all these attempts, is that it will be less idiots around after they've been caught.

Only feel sorry for Metcalfe's Thai family here. But then again, would it be of any difference? He couldn't support them while he was here. Now he definitely can't. And yes... All this easy going life with plenty of available poor women that offer instant pleasure or instant marriage, does have a devastating effect on the mind. Instead of leading a normal secure life back home, many fall short by choosing to waste everything they've got for just having the fast-food pleasure experience over here. It's really incredible how the seek for sex do affect the male brain and behavior, which can turn us into stupid monkeys.

quote]

Banks have been robbing the public for many years - don't like a taste of what they give out :)

You seem to think that a bank is a real person, and not a business.

:D

Im pretty sure you know that the people working behind the counters in a bank, are not the one deciding the bank's business policy.

Am I right?

:D

Considering the amount of money the banks have got from the UK tax payer I think this man should be given a medal

Given?

The UK government doesn't give anybody anything.

They've already turned a profit on the money "given" to RBS, as the shares they bought are now priced above what they paid for them, and they now own 70% of the bank. And the amount was less than RBS had paid in corporation tax in the last few years. (RBS has the UK record for the highest tax bill...)

• 2 weeks later...
Unbelievable..what some people will resort to.

A stupid and desperate act.(quite pathetic and sad actually)

Whats wrong with returning to work in the home country to boost funds?

You're having a laugh even considering somebody could find any kind of reasonable employment at that age? Having said that, at 60 I believe he would have been eligible for pension credits? Admittedly not as much as the OAP, and to continue qualifying only allowed out of the UK for limited periods, but would have saved him having to resort to such drastic measures.

Yes, poor bugger was not being very bright about it. As you say, he could have scammed pension credit - 130 quid a week isn't much, but you can live ok on that much in Thailand. A low risk, low profit enterprise would have been preferable to robbing a bank... What a mess for all concerned.