Phuket Parents Outraged Over School Beating

george

Phuket parents outraged over school beating

phuket-The-student-shows-the-bruises-she-sustained-on-her-arms-as-she-tried-to-protect-herself-from-the-beating-during-class-at-Baan-Mai-Riab-School-in-Phuket-1-wWlxhRK.jpg

The student shows the bruises she sustained on her arms

as she tried to protect herself from the beating during class

at Baan Mai Riab School in Phuket.

KATHU, PHUKET: -- A 12 year-old student at a Phuket school claims her math teacher gave her a severe beating with a steel ruler in front of a class full of students because she did not do her homework.

The girl’s parents have complained to police about the incident and are demanding that Baan Mai Riab School in Kathu issue the teacher, Tawee Srisamuth, with a warning.

“I’m still in pain now,” the girl told the Gazette. “He hit me around 10 times on the bottom in front of the other students, then sent me back to my desk.”

The girl had just moved to Phuket from Sukhothai and had only been at the school a week when the alleged incident took place Thursday morning.

Piyamon Sae-ong, the school’s director, said Mr Tawee had admitted to hitting the girl.

“He was angry because she wouldn’t concentrate in class and never did her homework,” she said.

After hearing about what happened, the student’s mother complained to Mr Tawee.

“I saw my daughter was in pain. Her buttocks were covered in bruises,” she said. “We went to complain to the teacher but he was very aggressive and shouted at us.”

The woman then took her daughter to make a complaint at Tung Tong Police Station, where police took her statement and referred her to Patong Hospital for an examination.

Dr Anusak Saengsom, a doctor at the hospital, confirmed the girl’s injuries were consistent with being hit hard with a steel ruler.

“We found dark violet and red bruises on her buttocks,” Dr Anusak said. “Her arm had also been hit with a straight object about 1 inch wide. It had turned red and violet too.”

Ms Piyamon said the school had informed the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization, which funds the school, about the incident.

The PPAO and the school’s committee were investigating, she said.

Tung Tong Police Superintendent Arayapan Pukbuakhao said the parents and the school were still "negotiating".

“The parents want the school to issue the teacher with a warning, but the teacher insists he had to teach the student a lesson,” Col Arayapan said.

“The teacher is a man. Perhaps he doesn’t know how hard he should hit a female student,” he added.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-09-12

The whole story is too shocking for words and I am not even a parent.

HOw about this part

"""The parents want the school to issue the teacher with a warning, but the teacher insists he had to teach the student a lesson," Col Arayapan said.

"The teacher is a man. Perhaps he doesn't know how hard he should hit a female student," he added.

1. The parents should insist he is arrested. Is there no law against this here?

2. and the police think the problem is he hit her to hard?

how can he be allowed to teach again? he does not see his actions as wrong? OMG

Arg! :)

Edited by MisterMan

quite quite disgusting on so many fronts.

I cannot believe the police said 'he doesnt know how hard he should hit a female student'

Idiotic statement from the police. It appears to condone corporal punishment, and makes a distinction between how hard you can hit a student, based upon their gender.

Cretin.

There certainly ARE laws against using corporal punishment in Thai schools. It was definitely outlawed a couple of years ago.

This wretched man should be charged with assault and instantly dismissed.

I cannot believe that with this exposure, he will be allowed to stay in his post.

I know of at least one vacant jet-ski job that may be more suited to Mr Tawee.

If that had have happened to TW's daughter or any youngster male or female from our village it wouldn't be a problem any more. The male population around here might by lazy, good for nothing piss heads but on the other hand are extremely protective and this teacher would be long gone.

I'll leave it to your own imagination.